Turnigy CA120-70 Brushless Outrunner

HI
i bought a E-glide GI (second hand but they guy had never used it). I replaced the battery pack with a Headway 12s 36v+ 10ah and now understand the motor sucks. Its a 1000W brushed motor and it was obviously put on there for 'i have a big motor' wow and not efficient or power

Does anyone know if this battery pack wil be sufficient for this motor,also a basic starting point for suggestions as to controller etc etc to get this project moved in the right direction.

thanks in advance

as in the heading the motor i refer to is this

Turnigy CA120-70 Brushless Outrunner

anyone know of an alternative or a better option would be appreciated

Haha the Turnigy CA120-70 is waaay to big unless you weigh 250 kilos and want to tow all your kids. One alien 6374 is capable of doing over 50 kmh on 10S.

The CA120-70 is big enough to power a moderately sized moped or a very small motorcycle (the Hobbyking ratings indicate that it's good for something like 15kW peak); putting that on a longboard is a wonderful way to get yourself killed. It's also incredibly expensive ($470 USD or so); you can get that kind of power for about half the price in the form of a Revolt RV-120.

Your best bet if you want power would be to get a 63mm motor (either the Alien Power Systems 6374 or the Turnigy SK3-6374 will do quite nicely), and then some sort of matching brushless controller. Brushed controllers (like the one that came with the board) have fundamentally different electronic characteristics from three-phase brushless ones, so you'll need to toss the old controller and get something new. I'm personally partial to the Kelly KBS series for an out-of-the-box solution; if you don't plan on going above 12s LiFePO4, then you'll do quite nicely with a KBS48121X (48V nominal, 55A continuous, 130A on startup), which will run you about $150 USD plus shipping. If 55/130A is overkill for what you're looking for, then you can get 40A continuous and 100A on startup for $120 USD plus shipping. Total cost for the motor and controller should run you about $200-250USD. If you later find that 2-3kW on a longboard is still not enough power, then you can simply double up; add a second 63mm motor and controller on one of the other wheels for an additional cost of $200-250 USD; it's a lot better deal than buying a 120mm outrunner and a controller capable of pushing 5-10kW into it (expect the controller to be huge and the system cost to be on the order of $800-900USD if you do that).

Back