Scooter with belt drive and 20" wheels

vanillabass

1 µW
Hey All - I'm new to the forum and I was hoping I could get some information on building my first scooter - in particular, drivetrain and battery recommendations. I'd like it to be belt-driven and I'll be using 20" bmx wheels. I'd like the speed to max out at around 18 mph. Not sure what other info would be helpful other than me stating up-front that I'm not very knowledgable about this stuff but am passionate about making this happen! Just want to see where this thread goes. Thanks!

You could either go belt driven and/or hub motor. Post photos of your scooter that way we know what your working with..

Hub motor -- check the bike forums and do some research and cross reference.. It's all the same somewhat.. You got to figure out how a motor will turn your wheels.

Hey there, welcome. So this would probably look like one of those amish-scooters type, right? Don't you think 20" is a bit too big? Why do you want it belt-driven when you can buy a 20" hub motor with integrated controller from Golden Motors? All you need is to hook it up to a battery and throttle. Are you building from scratch or do you have a used scooter lying around already?

yeah, I don't get the interest in belt drive when you can just use a hub motor for those size wheels:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17535&hilit=+stand+kick

Thanks for the replies. I would like to go belt drive for the aesthetic I'm trying to achieve. My thinking is it will also have a seat - so not quite the Amish-style - but similar. Not interested in a hub motor for this application. I don't have any photos as I'm still in the planning phase - trying to figure out which brand/size/specs of motor, which controller, etc. I know there's a calculation for the gear reduction so any pointers on that would be great. Thanks!

Back