mbs electric mountainboard - 3d model request

viper

10 mW
Hello,
update: see my last post - looking for a 3d cad model of the mbs matrix trucks.
thank you.
------------------------
been lurking around the forum for quite some time, and after succesfuly building my first e-mountainboard - I have a few questions for the second improved board components.
a bit of history, the old board was an mbs core 90, with a dual sk3-6364-190kv, dual HK150A, and a 6s 5000mah 20c lipo. gear ratio was 11-60.
I used to get around 9km per battery, and about 23kmh top speed.(using rc controller, with the wii nunchuck it was around 26kmh)
added some pictures, a bit ashamed of my manufacturing skills and tools...but the end result was a nice, ridable board.

the new board is a mbs comp 95 - which is a great upgrade...(a bit longer board, mbs matrix trucks), already ordered 10t 8mm bore pinion and 62t sprockets for #25 chain (a bit faster gear ratio)
what I want to achive is a bit fater board (38-30 kmh max speed), and as light as possible with dual setup, of course the cheaper the better :) but I dont mind spending a few extra $ for a better end result.
I have a dillema about which electric componnents to choose:
1. I feel that the dual 6364 was very powerful, and maybe I can get the same (almost) end result with a ligther/smaller motor - such as the sk3-6354-215kv. I tried to find reference to this motor in the forum - had one hit of someone using it-but was with added edf cooling which I dont really want to get to.
can anyone comment on this motor? will it be suitable to my needs? do you have any other suggestion?

2. esc - I used the HK150A esc which was great but is huge and it takes up the place for my second batt.
I was thinking abut one of these two:
2.1 http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__33984__Turnigy_Trackstar_150A_GenII_1_8th_Scale_Sensored_Brushless_Car_ESC_PC_Programmable.html
its a bit smaller thank the HK150A - and they say that the throttle curve can be adjusted which I think is a GREAT feature - anyone tried it?, the esc got some mixed reviews and I wanted to know if anyone got it and can comment on it, how are the breaks, does it work well with lower kv motors etc.
2.2 alien 120A/150A esc - I relly like the low profile and support from Bruno - he is great!, seems like breakng now is in par with the car esc's, I wanted to know if the throttle curve is configurable (graph changes) as turnigy claim in the first option - from the manual it seems like there is just an option for liniar, log, or exp curve, no parameters change - but i guess it should be configured for ev setup so its good. the drawback of this option is the price. (quite higher than the 2.1 option)

3. another option I am cosidering is the alien power combo's, Bruno suggested I take the 6KW option but if I can get away with a smaller motor (like a 63654) I can save over 0.5kg
I thought maybe the 4KW twin option would fit, but i'm afraid that a 50mm 270kv motor wont be good enough - especially with my current gear ratio.
if you got to this line - thank you for your patience, sorry for some typo's english isn't my native language.
any suggestion/help will be appriciated.

pics of the last board:
IMG_20140718_0.jpg
IMG_20140718_2.jpg
IMG_20140718_1.jpg
thanks!

Dual 50mm's should be fine for 20-25mph. What's your gearing ratio? I say though if you are on dirt and/or offroading keep the 63mm's. The only reason we go 50mm or at least myself is to lighten the weight of the board. The 6354's are decent but the 6364 and 6374 do seem a lot more powerful.

hi,
the gear ratio is 10-62
I do want a lighter board. which motor is better?
the 50mm: http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/dual-motors/alien-power-system-150amp-4kw-twin-motors-kit/
or the sk4-6354-215 kv : http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18179__turnigy_aerodrive_sk3_6354_215kv_brushless_outrunner_motor.html
I don't plan on offloading that much, but I do have some 15 degree Hills.
any ideas or comments on the better esc?
thank you,
Yossi

viper said:
hi,
the gear ratio is 10-62
I do want a lighter board. which motor is better?
the 50mm: http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/dual-motors/alien-power-system-150amp-4kw-twin-motors-kit/
or the sk4-6354-215 kv : http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18179__turnigy_aerodrive_sk3_6354_215kv_brushless_outrunner_motor.html
I don't plan on offloading that much, but I do have some 15 degree Hills.
any ideas or comments on the better esc?
thank you,
Yossi

Hobbywing EZ Run Pro escs are 150amp as well and I've heard great things about it being a lot more durable but HK 150A seems to work great for a lot of people as well. I'm sure, either works well. The trackstar I would think would be decent as well.

Both of the motors are good. I like the SK3 motors and they do work great and are reliable. However, I also have the same motors that APS uses and I feel they are much better in quality than the SK3 but I have yet to try them. I'm pretty sure they're just as good if not better. I currently still run my Sk3 motors though and they seem to perform great.

the question is which is more powerful.. the 50mm high quality / 63 standard quality...
about the Trackstar Gen 2 esc - I guess not many have tried it yet...if someone have it on a board I would love to read your thoughts about throttle response, and breaks.
still don't know which motors to get... I. guess in the end i
I can always get the same motors as I had, Sk3 6364-190kv.but hoped I can save up some weight.
any advice is appreciated.
thanks

hi,
quick update. I'm going for a dual 6364-190kv and the alien 150A esc. using 10-62 gearing ratio. 6s 5000mah battery.
any comments before I place the orders?
maybe I should get the 6364-213kv version?
looking for 30kmh top speed. (8" wheels)

hi,
just got the items. I have everything but the board (still waiting for it - will take about a month).
I wanted to try and design the mounts as soon as possible.
does anyone have a cad model of the mbs matrix trucks?
can anyone share?
thank you.

I am just about to start modelling the trucks myself. (will post once i've finished)
I had hoped to find someone else who had done all the hard work but the closest I have found is this:
https://grabcad.com/library/mountainboard

I am converting an MBS with matrix trucks into a two wheel drive (front wheels) with mechanical brakes on the rear.

I notice from your pictures you have a fan mounted in your box, is that to keep the ESC cool?
I hadn't realised it would get hot enough to need assisted cooling, what is your experience here?

I am using a turnigy 5055 320kv with a 70amp ESC - I'm using an arduino to map the throttle so i have some control over the acceleration curve.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...SK3_5055_320kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

I have a makerbot 2x which I'm using to make most of the mountings and parts the only bought bits will be some sprag clutch bearing (so it freewheels nicely) and the belts and pulleys.

I am using a 24v 20ah lifepo4 battery (peak is 29.7v down to 23v when flat).

Providing the motor has enough guts the gear ratio I've gone for should allow 25-30mph

I hope to have it assembled by the end of this month, will post some pics then.

Back