Orangatang Kegal Printed pulley assembly

voodoojar

100 W
I got a couple people asking about using these wheels for boards I'm making so I printed these up. I'll post the STLs tomorrow once I make a couple more tweaks. these are 5 layer 60% fill ABS fresh off the printer.
Gl0H2MG.jpg

good work, i've been looking at them for ages. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55046&start=75

im glad someone finally used it

onloop said:
Do you think these wheels would be better then ABEC FLYWHEELS,

As I think you could bolt a drive hub onto these allot better/easier??.

5Ezu

Ok, as this seems to come up a bit here I post 3 links to very good guides what makes a good longboard wheel and why.

Just to clarify that straight up, I'm not saying that the wheels generally used here are bad or in any regard not fitting to the purpose. :!:
The wheel is a very important factor to get the board to suit your personal style of riding and this is what makes skating to me so special. The possibility to tune a board just to what I like and thus it is a personal preference, what I like other might hate and vice versa. That's the beauty of it! Diversity!

Electric skateboards are a very special topic. Especially when it comes to the choice of wheels. There is just not much out there which allows easy mounting of gears :cry:
For somebody like me which comes from a very strong skating background the choices are poor to say the least :evil:

Well enough ranting, here are the links:

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard-guide/

http://blog.bustinboards.com/all-yo...-wheels-from-bustin-boards-custom-longboards/

http://lushlongboards.com/workshops/longboard-wheel-guide/

Rock 'n Roll

- Sven

@ tourqueboards

Orangatan Durians 86A please.

They are small and no plastic core. I saw somewhere that somebody drilled right through them but I think it's a bad idea as it changes the behaviour of the wheel a lot. On top of that the math shows that I probably need 40 teeth to get what I want from the board. How should I make that work? :evil:

For completness, my favorite setup atm is a Rayne Avenger with the Early super gnarly griptape, Paris V1with slightly softer dodos on the front and aforementioned wheels. Probably a footstop when I get around to turn one up again.

A universal hub adapter similar to brake board and Lagrange would work IMO. Except you'll have to epoxy the adapter to the wheel and wouldn't be able to use it again or remove it. Would have to fit the bearings in somehow preferably smaller bearings.

A bit more work but doable. A setup like Boosted's bolts through the middle not doable? You could use M4 bolts.

I think an electric skateboard is definitely different from a regular longboard. Hard to compare. Touring bicycle vs mountain bicycle.

Nice voodoojar.

What are your print settings? 60% abs from what I've seen?

Maybe I'll try a pair and see how well they work uphill. Are you doing much uphill with them?

Btw. What filament brand are you using? Have you tried nylon yet?

I use Gizmo Dorks filament. I've been doing all kinds of riding on them. The higher mileage is from one of my test boards that I've handed out and the get ridden on all kids of different roads and inclines. I haven't tried any other types of plastic because ABS hasn't been an issue.

Good to hear that printed pulleys are able to survive that long.
400 miles is MUCH more then I hoped for :shock:
Anybody tried a printed pulley on the motor side?

@ torqueboards

Not sure about that. I got to ride a Boosted and after a short while I was finding myself carving hard around tight corners and doing standups. Just like I ride always.
My feeling was that the motor was more like an adjustable slope, if that makes any sense.

-Sven

Carving yes.. That's still somewhat similar. It's always enjoyable.

However, your board weighing 18 lbs isn't the same as a normal longboard as well as the rolling resistance isn't the same. Those are the two main things I think can't be changed for a electric vs non-electric.

Motor pulley would be interesting.

The Kegels are nice. I made the same pulley set up for mine, but I used cast resin instead of printing.

voodoojar said:
I haven't been able to make a printed motor pulley that lasts more than a day. The shaft hole almost instantly strips out.

Casting the pulleys worked well for me. Only for wheel pulleys though (super strong). Motor pulleys take too much abuse for anything other than metal I think.

@ Voodoojar

Only a day, I hoped it would hold up a bit longer. Well, at least you can do some testing with it and figure out what size is perfect to buy...

What are the chances of printing wheels with integrated pulleys for belt drive?
Wheels to fit pneumatic tires and tubes?

OBone said:
What are the chances of printing wheels with integrated pulleys for belt drive?
Wheels to fit pneumatic tires and tubes?

Not good. Maybe better with a material that has better bonding between layers, maybe nylon.

torqueboards said:
Print your own wheels? Did I read that right?
Yes you did.

Obviously I don't know a lot about the forces acting on these wheels, and I lack a working knowledge of how 3d printing works.

One of my colleagues does facial reconstruction for people with cancer damage to the jaw and scull. Also damage due to trauma like gun shot wounds. They scan the patient's head in a CT scanner and use some CAD modelling to generate a mirror of the missing bone. They then 3d print it in Titanium complete with custom brackets to surgically screw it into place. You should see that stuff. Amazing.

So as far as I am concerned with 3d printing the sky is the limit. Material choice and cost is the limiting factor

Back