Page 5 of 8

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 02 2014 12:39am
by brent
brent wrote:Is anybody else having issues with the wheel running out? The pulley insert seems fine, but the entire wheel (and the pulley with it) does a sort of wobble when it spins, with a visible runout of <1mm. Possibly because one of the bearings is partially(or fully?) sitting on the threads, which are undersized compared to the rest of the axle/shaft..
Bump?

Wheel runout has been a pretty major obstacle for tensioning my mounts; really curious about whether others have had the same problem, and how they tackled or solved it.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 02 2014 10:07am
by beto_pty
brent wrote:
brent wrote:Is anybody else having issues with the wheel running out? The pulley insert seems fine, but the entire wheel (and the pulley with it) does a sort of wobble when it spins, with a visible runout of <1mm. Possibly because one of the bearings is partially(or fully?) sitting on the threads, which are undersized compared to the rest of the axle/shaft..
Bump?

Wheel runout has been a pretty major obstacle for tensioning my mounts; really curious about whether others have had the same problem, and how they tackled or solved it.
Assuming wheel runout means the belt slides off the gear towards the metal motor mount? It only happened to me on my rear wheel board a long time ago. As soon as i changed to front wheel drive (which spins the tire in the oposite direction) the runout is towards the wheel itself where the iner end of the gearand wheel hold it in place. never had problems again.. After 3000+ kms the belt shows a bit of wear on the last milimeter or so.. but the rest of the belt is totally unafected...

If wheel runout does not mean that then i have no idea... :shock:

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 02 2014 10:48am
by brent
beto_pty wrote: Assuming wheel runout means the belt slides off the gear towards the metal motor mount? It only happened to me on my rear wheel board a long time ago. As soon as i changed to front wheel drive (which spins the tire in the oposite direction) the runout is towards the wheel itself where the iner end of the gearand wheel hold it in place. never had problems again.. After 3000+ kms the belt shows a bit of wear on the last milimeter or so.. but the rest of the belt is totally unafected...

If wheel runout does not mean that then i have no idea... :shock:
Ah, should've made myself clearer. I meant the wheel doesn't seem concentric; so it sort of "wobbles" as it turns, and the effective center-to-center distance between the wheel pulley and the motor pulley changes.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 02 2014 12:00pm
by torqueboards
Not all wheels are 100% concentric as they are casted. As long as it is slightly off and not completely off it should be fine. It shouldn't be that bad that your center to center distance is completely different. That would have to be fixed :shock:

Do you have bolts going through your drawing? The bolts do help to hold it in place and keep it a bit more concentric.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 02 2014 12:08pm
by beto_pty
ok now I understand..

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 03 2014 1:14am
by brent
Huh, okay. I've been having trouble tensioning the belt tightly enough so that it doesn't slip when breaking, without obvious resistance during some parts of the revolution.

Bolts through my drawing?

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 06 2014 5:59pm
by mortifiedMORTY
What kind of 3D printers do you guys have? I browsed around a few of them and want to purchase one myself next year. However I've read most are kind of finicky and it's more of a hobby. Just curious what people are using to make these parts

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 06 2014 6:47pm
by torqueboards
Flashforge is pretty good. Most of us use one as they are fairly cheap and you can get started printing within 20-30 minutes.

Flashforge is about the same quality as MakerBot not much different. Don't build one from a kit unless you want to make it a hobby.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 06 2014 7:28pm
by mortifiedMORTY
Very cool, nice price too with a 1/10 mm tolerance.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 07 2014 10:18am
by voodoojar
If anyone has a Flashforge Dreamer I can give you my gcode files to print the things I've designed so that way they will come out exactly the way they're intended.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 18 2014 1:25pm
by beto_pty
Just as an update...
the stingray has passed her 200 kms use milestone..
the 3dprinted ABS 48tooth abec11 gear has gone 100 kms and shows no wear...
:P

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 18 2014 1:34pm
by torqueboards
Nice! Sounds great.

I definitely need to create an enclosure similar to yours that way everything is completely bolted onto the board. I'll try and get something setup soon.

I'm going to work on a Boosted type setup.

2x 3S 5000mah Zippy Enclosure
Battery enclosure for (2) 3S 5000mah Zippy Flightmax lipos. I'm going to try and make it so it's easy to rip apart and swap packs. I like to drop my board so batteries will be located at the bottom of the deck. Drop won't affect much. Will use hobbyking blue velcro to hold most of the weight of the packs and/or just have a very durable enclosure w/ padding. Enclosure will be slightly waterproof.

Electronics Enclosure
Will have a separate enclosure for ESC, Power Switch, Receiver.

I'll just sleeve the wires and they'll be underneath the board.

I'll post it all on Thingiverse once I'm done.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 25 2014 2:44pm
by mccloed
Looking to get a 3D printer. What kind does everyone have? Saw some on EBay for cheap, but unsure if they're decent.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 25 2014 2:55pm
by okp
the zortrax m200 looks awesome

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 25 2014 3:48pm
by torqueboards
Voodoo, Beto and I all have FlashForge printers. They are great out of the box printers. However, the market is fairly big so you can find quite a bit out there that are great quality.

I recommend on deciding if you want an out of the box solution and/or a DIY Kit option. The latter being an entirely new hobby. :mrgreen:

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 25 2014 8:08pm
by mccloed
Definitely want an out of the box printer. Flashforge looks reasonably priced. Thanks for the advice.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 25 2014 11:35pm
by beto_pty
flashforge rocks! defnnitly recomend it

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 26 2014 12:03am
by torqueboards
Hey Beto,

You ever see the Ninja flex or rubber filament?

It's possible to make an enclosure similar to e-go that would allow flex.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 26 2014 3:31am
by brent
Just a note: my Flashforge extruder doesn't really agree with flexible filaments. The filament path isn't constrained well enough, and the filament buckles in between the drive gear and the actual hot end.

I think there are printable extruders on Thingiverse that'd let you print with the flexible stuff. Haven't bothered to try them.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 26 2014 3:59am
by okp
yes, many people recommend to use the proprietary thread, it's where you get best results with not a lot of settings. The zortrax has its proprietary ABS filament, results are pretty awesome; but well it's 2000USD !

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 26 2014 11:45am
by beto_pty
The way i see it there are two options around this...
http://www.makergeeks.com/popofl3dprfi.html
this might not quite be ninjitzu filament but it definitly Karates a bit...
Flexible enough to bend and can be extruded... quite pricey but hey we are all rich here... :shock:

the other alternative is a thingyverse gear that confines the filament till it reaches the gears (or is it after it passes the gears).. cant remember off the top of my head..but i will look for it.

Being in Panama getting the filament is quite costly at around $40 ish per kilo shipped to miami plus another $8-12 shipping... So a pink hello kitty stamp for my princess costs me 75 bucks and 2 weeks wait cause i gotta buy the whole spool... so I will be getting these beauties next Jan...
http://www.extrusionbot.com/product/the-eb2/
http://www.extrusionbot.com/product/the-cruncher/
http://www.extrusionbot.com/product/colorants-2-oz-bag/
It Allows me to extrude my own extrusion grade prime quality abs filament (I got 100kgs of A grade extrusion ABS from my regular polymer provider as samples) and can color in one of 12 available pigments... I have 100 kgs of ABS and the way I see it I will have made back my investment on the first 15-20 spools or so... Just an idea for those of you in faraway (expensive shipping) lands.. Also it will allow me to try some cool ideas like collecting/recicling milk jugs and 3d printing in HDPE which should not be a problem assuming the melt index is low enough..
Also opens up the posibility for my wife's shop to get her own flashforge , a beanbag and trinket/jewelry/bracelet store.. www.tuspoofs.com to sell 3dprinted thingys, nametags, (wheel gears, eboard enclosures maybe) and all sorts of stuff that can be 3d printed...
ok but I ramble...
Ill look for the ninjaflex gear printing thingys...

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 26 2014 11:49am
by mccloed
Anyone ever use an XYZ Da Vinci? They seem pretty reasonably priced.

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 26 2014 3:09pm
by beto_pty
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:231310

I think this is the part that will allow you to print ninjaflex..

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 26 2014 3:33pm
by torqueboards
beto_pty wrote: It Allows me to extrude my own extrusion grade prime quality abs filament (I got 100kgs of A grade extrusion ABS from my regular polymer provider as samples) and can color in one of 12 available pigments... I have 100 kgs of ABS and the way I see it I will have made back my investment on the first 15-20 spools or so... Just an idea for those of you in faraway (expensive shipping) lands.. Also it will allow me to try some cool ideas like collecting/recicling milk jugs and 3d printing in HDPE which should not be a problem assuming the melt index is low enough..
Nice beto. Are you going to get ABS pellets by the truck load and make your own filament spools for Panama?

Re: 3D printed parts Depository

Posted: Dec 26 2014 3:55pm
by beto_pty
torqueboards wrote:
beto_pty wrote: It Allows me to extrude my own extrusion grade prime quality abs filament (I got 100kgs of A grade extrusion ABS from my regular polymer provider as samples) and can color in one of 12 available pigments... I have 100 kgs of ABS and the way I see it I will have made back my investment on the first 15-20 spools or so... Just an idea for those of you in faraway (expensive shipping) lands.. Also it will allow me to try some cool ideas like collecting/recicling milk jugs and 3d printing in HDPE which should not be a problem assuming the melt index is low enough..
Nice beto. Are you going to get ABS pellets by the truck load and make your own filament spools for Panama?
I buy about 60,000 lbs a month of HDPE for my rotomoulding company, and sbout 30,000 lbs for my EPS company, both from a single provider, and they carry a bunch of other products.. like injection grade ABS for instance, nylon, etc, so once or twice a year they will provide me with a couple hundred lbs of samples for trials or just to play with.. so this year it was ABS... So if it pans out I figure we could sell pigmented ABS rolls for under 29.99 at my wife's shop... also get some cheap DIY kits (maybe lower cost flashforges actually)... or equivalent.. 3d printing is still a black art here.. it would be cool to help change that.