Leaving LiPo charger connected during use

777arc

10 W
Anyone know if it is OK to leave the DC portion of LiPo chargers connected to the batteries while the skateboard is running? I'm using four Hobbyking DC-4S chargers so it is pretty convenient to leave the four JST-XH balance plugs connected and simply plug all four chargers into the DC power supply through a single connector on the board.

I have not tried it yet but I measured the resistance between the pins on the charger while it was disconnected and I got between 10k - 50k ohms depending on which two pins were measured.

Yeah it will definitely drain a tiny bit of power. I could just remove the balance plugs when storing the board for more than a day.

48v ?
Why not put a proper bms together. That is what you are doing, except your bms only balances while charging.

10k and 4v is so little power my calc has gone all scientific on me. 1.6 to the power of -03 watts. It won't be going flat at any time soon.

friendly1uk said:
48v ?
Why not put a proper bms together. That is what you are doing, except your bms only balances while charging.

10k and 4v is so little power my calc has gone all scientific on me. 1.6 to the power of -03 watts. It won't be going flat at any time soon.

Sorry should have clarified, it is a 2wd board, so two chains of 22V each. Know of any off the shelf BMS that can handle 4 packs of 3s each?

if you open up those little balance boxes then we can look to see if there is a reason in the circuitry going to the sense wires that will drain charge from your batteries. it is not like a regular bulk charger which has a drain down resistor across the output caps but this thing may not have that so open one of them up and show it here.

Back