hdhd

thanks for the FYI!
this is awesome, eboards finally going mainstream. next up...walmart :)

well you got tot remember the first time you rode a board.. 12mph was probably as fast as you dared to go,,,
.. but yes my 6 year old daugthers`scooter does 12mph... :shock:

also it probably does 12mph on a full batt on flats.. towards the end you are probably looking at a neckbraking 9 or 10 mph?

However it is awesome that it now exists as a potentially mainstream product.. Im sure we will get a good share of "upgrade your yunec posts"

And for the closing joke..

What do you call an eboard without Balls?
Yunec...

TADDDAAAA
(english is my second language so if yunec is not pronounced like eunuch please forgive me)

I recently picked up an e-go. It averages 11.5 mph on flat streets with full battery, and struggles to make it up freeway overpasses.

Even with those limitations I think it will please a lot of people for general use. I plan on using it for commuting in a city with very few hills, mountain view. I just wish it was a tad faster, even if that means losing what feeble torque the board has now. I don't mind pushing to get cruising.

I have also done a teardown and figured out a few possibilities for increasing the top speed. I'll put together a detailed writeup in January when I get back from vacation, as nobody has posted detailed pics of the e-go components yet, but I'll give a few details.

The timing pulleys are 13 and 35 teeth, with a 230-5M-15 (46 tooth) gates belt. The motor is connected to the ESC with a strange 9 pin connector that I cannot find anywhere online. I think it must be sensored, because of the extra pins present.

Anyway, the easiest thing to do seems to be adding a smaller wheel cog / bigger wheel size. I ordered the 107mm abec 11 electric flywheels and the evolve boards drive wheel (33 tooth i believe). I also got a 45 tooth belt, as that should fit better with the smaller wheel pulley. I'm hoping not to have to modify the motor mount, but I will do it if necessary for tensioning. I also recognize that some of the plastic motor housing will have to be filed away to accommodate the larger wheels, but that will be easy.

If the modification goes as planned it should give me a small boost in speed to around 14 mph. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I think the ideal way to modify this board would be to 3D print a smaller drive pulley for the wheel. It would have to be printed, because the inside of the pulley must be hollow. A 27 tooth drive wheel would bump you up to around 16mph.

lordvoltron said:
I recently picked up an e-go. It averages 11.5 mph on flat streets with full battery, and struggles to make it up freeway overpasses.

Even with those limitations I think it will please a lot of people for general use. I plan on using it for commuting in a city with very few hills, mountain view. I just wish it was a tad faster, even if that means losing what feeble torque the board has now. I don't mind pushing to get cruising.

I have also done a teardown and figured out a few possibilities for increasing the top speed. I'll put together a detailed writeup in January when I get back from vacation, as nobody has posted detailed pics of the e-go components yet, but I'll give a few details.

The timing pulleys are 13 and 35 teeth, with a 230-5M-15 (46 tooth) gates belt. The motor is connected to the ESC with a strange 9 pin connector that I cannot find anywhere online. I think it must be sensored, because of the extra pins present.

Anyway, the easiest thing to do seems to be adding a smaller wheel cog / bigger wheel size. I ordered the 107mm abec 11 electric flywheels and the evolve boards drive wheel (33 tooth i believe). I also got a 45 tooth belt, as that should fit better with the smaller wheel pulley. I'm hoping not to have to modify the motor mount, but I will do it if necessary for tensioning. I also recognize that some of the plastic motor housing will have to be filed away to accommodate the larger wheels, but that will be easy.

If the modification goes as planned it should give me a small boost in speed to around 14 mph. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I think the ideal way to modify this board would be to 3D print a smaller drive pulley for the wheel. It would have to be printed, because the inside of the pulley must be hollow. A 27 tooth drive wheel would bump you up to around 16mph.

Hey Lord Voltron,

I also bought a E-go recently and am waiting for it to arrive on Friday. I need it to finish up the last bit of a commute by train. I got it new for $500 on ebay so jumped on it when I saw it. If I were to pay the $700 they sell for, I'd likely buy a boosted or build my own. My guess is I will use this for a bit then upgrade and sell it to a friend. Anyhow in regards to printing a pulley let me know if it works. Now that I know what the belt is, I can download a gear from stock drive products and mod it in Solidworks to the mounting scheme of the E-Go board. I have a Stratasys Objet printer at work and can print the gear. Its a photpolymer resin based printer and the resolution is great and much better than FDM printers. However, curious how it will do if the gear heats up as its a less stable material in heat than ABS or PLA. If you happen to get the design in CAD before me (im crazy busy at work) send me the STL or Native Solidworks file and I will print us both some gears. I also have an older Dimension FDM printer we can try as well.

One thing though, if its sensored it may notice the RPM change and still limit the top speed regardless of how we gear them. I was thinking someone would figure out an ESC hack.

Marc

Hey Marc,

I don't have the skills in design to make a pulley for printing, but best of luck, that is awesome that you have the ability to prototype it. I have the same plans as you for the board. Probably tinker with it and then pick up a marbel if they live up to the specs that they purport. I picked up my e-go off Craigslist, because $700+tax seemed like a bit of a stretch considering the kinda pathetic speed. It has alleviated any concerns I had about a single motor setup though. I also like the limited resistance from 1 wheel attached to a motor if I do end up having to push.

I think the sensored motor will have no effect, because the RPM at the motor does not change. The RPM at the wheel will increase slightly with the 33 tooth pulley on the wheel, but the real increase in speed is from the 90 to 107mm wheel, changing the distance covered per rotation. It would be nice to replace the motor with something more powerful, but that wacky 9 pin connector shut down that idea.

I think that Yuneec really missed an opportunity by designing it around 12 mph, but I'm excited to see all the mods.

Hey LordVoltron,

If I find the time to make the mod, I will let you know how it goes. If well, I can send you a pulley. Keep me updated on your progress as well. I think Yuneec was looking for the lower speed so kids could run out a fall if needed. More than that and its tough to run it out. Also shippign via airplane may have had a hand in it as well. I dont know what the MAH rating is on the Yuneec, but maybe they wanted the ability to ship via air if needed.

Marc

lordvoltron said:

You might have to modify your trucks to get the evolve drive wheel to fit. I think it might use an extra bearing inside of the drive wheel and they make space for it. I think that's how they get it to stay on..like dirk diglers pulley on Imaterialize.

I wonder what watts the board is capable of. If it's struggling on the overpass it'll have a harder time with the bigger gear obviously.
Maybe that motor is capable of a lot more. Does it get hot? Wouldn't the watts given to the motor from the esc and batteries be more so the decider of what power you're getting?

You comment on low power up over passes raises the issue that your current speed is perhaps a fucntion of available torque.. maybe the sensors are just to allow for standstill startups (which I feel look really goofy but that is maybe just me)

If the board lacks the torque to go up overpasses with the current gearing it will not be able to sustain the added torque of higher gearings..
IN my experience max speed is a funtion of gearing vs. the max speed/torque the motor can apply... hence upping the gearing relation might overamp your motor, or the motor might just find the speed/torque spot on its curve where it feels comfortable...at a lower rpm of course...

With exactly the same gearings, easc, wheels, batts my tacon 245kv goes faster than my 270kv ntm (at my weight of 200lbs) . when the rider is my friend who weighs in at 147 lbs the ntm goes faster than the tacon....

Ads of the E-go is what got me hooked on electric boards, I almost bought it on amazon $699 back in September, but then I started finding custom builds and guys selling parts to build on and for the same money I built one that is better for me and its all quality stuff. The wheels are cheaper to replace on my board as are the batteries, motor, speed control all off the shelf rc parts. motor and battery power me to 22mph and that's not even top speed I'm to scared to find that yet.

beto_pty said:
You comment on low power up over passes raises the issue that your current speed is perhaps a fucntion of available torque.. maybe the sensors are just to allow for standstill startups (which I feel look really goofy but that is maybe just me)

If the board lacks the torque to go up overpasses with the current gearing it will not be able to sustain the added torque of higher gearings..
IN my experience max speed is a funtion of gearing vs. the max speed/torque the motor can apply... hence upping the gearing relation might overamp your motor, or the motor might just find the speed/torque spot on its curve where it feels comfortable...at a lower rpm of course...

With exactly the same gearings, easc, wheels, batts my tacon 245kv goes faster than my 270kv ntm (at my weight of 200lbs) . when the rider is my friend who weighs in at 147 lbs the ntm goes faster than the tacon....

That is a good point. I guess I will find out when I fire up strava and take it out for a ride after the mods. I'll report back in the first week of January or so.

In response to the fitting of the evolve mount and the E-go trucks, the e-go truck has an extended axle on the drive side to account for the shift of the bearing nearer to the pulley. I believe the evolve mount should fit in a very similar fashion. The inner bearing looks to be about flush with the inside of the wheel, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed until the parts arrive.

I just ordered another E-Go off Fry's website for $449, no tax and no shipping.

http://www.frys.com/product/8336037?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

A little bit nervous, but Fry's is reputable I believe (not terribly familiar with the store despite having lived in CA). Hard to say no to $449 for a board this well-received by consumers.

JJ2525 said:

A little bit nervous, but Fry's is reputable I believe (not terribly familiar with the store despite having lived in CA). Hard to say no to $449 for a board this well-received by consumers.

Wow $499 is pretty darn cheap.

not a price mistake. I went and bought one locally today. Was planning on building my own, but for $449, could not pass it up. Will give it to my son once I finish building another faster skateboard.

Thats insane... I just bought one on Ebay that was new for $500 and intended on selling it on CL for what I paid once I had my homebuilt version done... Maybe by that time they will be back to normal price.

I wonder if Frys had too many left over from the Holidays and is liquidating them. Or if they can actualy make a profit selling them for $450 then WTF on the previous markup if distributor prices can make money at $450..

The mark up is very high. A shop told me they got the zboard pro for 500 n selling for 900.
These things are cheap when mass produced. So I have no doubt the cost of ego is about 250. Maybe yuneec is coming out with newer models. Either way 2015 is going to be a great year for eboards hehe

JJ2525 said:

did you get the item? definitely not a price mistake cause the price is still there as of now.

tung256 said:
JJ2525 said:

did you get the item? definitely not a price mistake cause the price is still there as of now.

No, and just about the worst order experience I've ever had. After being on the phone with them for hours multiple times, I am now waiting 1-2 weeks for a refund.

JJ2525 said:
tung256 said:
JJ2525 said:

No, and just about the worst order experience I've ever had. After being on the phone with them for hours multiple times, I am now waiting 1-2 weeks for a refund.

Did they not ship the item?

Ordered, the order didn't process or do anything for 2 days. I called up their CS dept who told me I got the last one in the warehouse and it would be at my door within 3-4 days. The next morning I received a tracking number. The tracking number didn't do anything for 3 days. I called up Fry's this morning who told me sometimes a package misses the UPS scanner, and assured me my board was on the way and would be delivered by the end of the week at the latest. I then called UPS who assured me, 100%, unequivocally, they never got the package to begin with. I then called Fry's (about 2 hours after I originally spoke with them today) who, once I told them UPS never even had the pkg, that it was lost and it was UPS' fault and they'd file a claim. I asked when I should be receiving my refund, and the guy told me "a week or two, who knows". I asked if I could get a written email confirming I'd get a refund and was told no.

In summation, I won't be ordering from Fry's again anytime soon.

Back