The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Motors

JJ2525

100 mW
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inboard/the-monolith-worlds-first-skateboard-with-in-wheel

Thoughts?

The remote looks like something my wife would enjoy :wink:

20 mph uphill via a single hub-motor inside a 79mm wheel does not pass the sniff test in my opinion.

This is is a proof-of-concept for several features, very eager to see how things progress here

That looks awesome! still quite a wait though, if I had the spare cash I would definitely order one.

They mention how they seek to "avoid drag while kick-pushing the board", and later it says "The Monolith’s Rev Wheel can be changed in ten seconds without any tools. This way you’re always ready to ride." So sounds to me like they may have initially intended to design a hub motor that had no drag, then realized it was impossible, so their solution is to swap out wheels.

As far as 1 vs 2 motors, it does not say, and they avoid pics showing the other rear wheel. Must be 2, to even have a chance at the capability they claim.

777arc said:
They mention how they seek to "avoid drag while kick-pushing the board", and later it says "The Monolith’s Rev Wheel can be changed in ten seconds without any tools. This way you’re always ready to ride." So sounds to me like they may have initially intended to design a hub motor that had no drag, then realized it was impossible, so their solution is to swap out wheels.

As far as 1 vs 2 motors, it does not say, and they avoid pics showing the other rear wheel. Must be 2, to even have a chance at the capability they claim.

Someone asked on their FB page and they confirmed dual rear drive.

777arc said:

That is a great feature if true. If I could pull the belts off mine in ten seconds so I could freewheel that would be huge.

JJ2525 said:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inboard/the-monolith-worlds-first-skateboard-with-in-wheel

Thoughts?

Love it. Want one. Kinda hope it takes two years to come out so I can feel good about the one I have for a while. :mrgreen:

You guys realize we getting excited because this is a successfully hub motor implementation. At 13000 if we get the current hub motor project running we can make super boards with that money. I say we stick to the diy and try to support the current project here, with ideas so we can perfect it.

higrade said:
You guys realize we getting excited because this is a successfully hub motor implementation. At 13000 if we get the current hub motor project running we can make super boards with that money. I say we stick to the diy and try to support the current project here, with ideas so we can perfect it.

I agree 100%. Once things advance the diy option will be much better. The only difference is initial capital and electrical experience.

But collectively we can grow the entire diy eboard community much bigger - collectively as a group.

The production boards will eventually get played out and won't be worth the cost. Once eboards match the current production based boards.

What I would like for diy options.
- We need decks with built in enclosures and a top hatch.
- Reliable handheld controller with USB charging, additional buttons to program.
- Reliable esc single and dual - aka vesc.
- Reliable high voltage high amp swappable batteries with built in bms and charging capabilities.

And a few other options as well.

torqueboards said:
higrade said:

I agree 100%. Once things advance the diy option will be much better. The only difference is initial capital and electrical experience.

But collectively we can grow the entire diy eboard community much bigger - collectively as a group.

The production boards will eventually get played out and won't be worth the cost. Once eboards match the current production based boards.

- Reliable handheld controller with USB charging, additional buttons to program.
- Reliable high voltage high amp swappable batteries with built in bms and charging capabilities.

Even group buys i don't see that happening here lets get a carbon fiber deck design members sign off on it put the money together to build the mold and group buy the carbon fiber sheets.

Same for wheels

Batteries

we just need one open source arduino project that covers all the electrical requirements, we have enough members lets put our heads together.

wow this comes pretty close to what my ideal imagination of an electric longboard is :) ...I am just not sure about what I should think of that battery cover, looks a little weak and I cannot imagine standing on it and riding the board with a good feeling..dont know

higrade said:
torqueboards said:
higrade said:

Even group buys i don't see that happening here lets get a carbon fiber deck design members sign off on it put the money together to build the mold and group buy the carbon fiber sheets.

Same for wheels

Batteries

we just need one open source arduino project that covers all the electrical requirements, we have enough members lets put our heads together.

I agree. Group buy would be awesome.

higrade said:
torqueboards said:
higrade said:

Same for wheels

Batteries

I agree. Group buy would be awesome.

The top loading battery case is a cool idea... seems a little flimsy...
The vibrator remote is cool and might help out your sexlife...
the app is also a cool idea..
The hubmotors we should have running at some point,,,
group buy of a carbon fiber bodied.. battery replaceable, bms controlled.. hub wheel motored open sourced, bmdual setting (Begginer and Maximum) board sounds good... take my money..

The top load should be more then fine if it's a piece of wood. Carbon fiber can be pretty strong too.

If they created it with a lip and a piece of carbon or wood sat on top that was velcro'ed would be nice. I've always wanted a deck like this but is a lot of trouble to make/create.

Similar to like a fiberglass boat and the storage compartments which they have on the floor.

We do need someone to make an awesome controller! I wish I had more electrical experience.

I like the wiimote works pretty well and has a nice form/size factor..
and you can make the sexually enticing tail out of Ninjaflex on your 3d printer...

great to see more competition in the Electric Longboard market :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i wonder how they are going to stop the battery from vibrating all over the place? memory foam? Also how they are going to make that battery cover water proof?

wow this is definitely the board to beat! swappable batteries is a huge plus! nobody wants to send a board back to the company just to replace the battery. same as how i feel about swappable batteries on a phone.
im really digging the remote too. sometimes you want to let go, relax your grip/fist, without fumbling for the remote afterward.

when there's more competitions, everyone wins!

Ugh, you need to move 3 joints to control throttle with your thumb. Thats three separate variables. Your trigger finger requires one. Its simple math, modulating throttle with your thumb introduces more variables, making it much more difficult. I hope they re-think their controller, who's design their... ahem... female designer clearly borrowed from this product here:

http://www.lelo.com/index.php?collectionName=insignia-luxe&groupName=TARA

Back