The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Motors

Lightweight / Folding / Portable EVs - seats optional

The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Motors

Postby JJ2525 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:43 am

JJ2525
100 mW
100 mW
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 am

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby torqueboards » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 am

I like it!

Better than Marbel :)

The DIY community has jacob hub motors :)

Swappable packs from the top of the deck. Oh buddy!

Looks to be only 1 motor though.
Last edited by torqueboards on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
DIYElectricSkateboard.com Electric Skateboard Kits
torqueboards
1.21 GW
1.21 GW
 
Posts: 3907
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:02 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby 777arc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:30 am

The remote looks like something my wife would enjoy :wink:

20 mph uphill via a single hub-motor inside a 79mm wheel does not pass the sniff test in my opinion.
Last edited by 777arc on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
777arc
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA, USA

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby JJ2525 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:00 am

This is is a proof-of-concept for several features, very eager to see how things progress here
Last edited by JJ2525 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
JJ2525
100 mW
100 mW
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 am

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby torqueboards » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:12 am

Yeah, I don't think a single hub motor will reach 20 mph uphill. That's a bunch of bologne. lol

I don't think it's a true game changer either.

TBH I think I prefer belt driven setups better than hub motors.
DIYElectricSkateboard.com Electric Skateboard Kits
torqueboards
1.21 GW
1.21 GW
 
Posts: 3907
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:02 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby JJ2525 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:18 am

It is dual rear motors
Last edited by JJ2525 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
JJ2525
100 mW
100 mW
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 am

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby ant1975 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:14 pm

That looks awesome! still quite a wait though, if I had the spare cash I would definitely order one.
ant1975
10 mW
10 mW
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:36 am

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby 777arc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:53 pm

They mention how they seek to "avoid drag while kick-pushing the board", and later it says "The Monolith’s Rev Wheel can be changed in ten seconds without any tools. This way you’re always ready to ride." So sounds to me like they may have initially intended to design a hub motor that had no drag, then realized it was impossible, so their solution is to swap out wheels.

As far as 1 vs 2 motors, it does not say, and they avoid pics showing the other rear wheel. Must be 2, to even have a chance at the capability they claim.
777arc
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA, USA

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby JJ2525 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:55 pm

777arc wrote:They mention how they seek to "avoid drag while kick-pushing the board", and later it says "The Monolith’s Rev Wheel can be changed in ten seconds without any tools. This way you’re always ready to ride." So sounds to me like they may have initially intended to design a hub motor that had no drag, then realized it was impossible, so their solution is to swap out wheels.

As far as 1 vs 2 motors, it does not say, and they avoid pics showing the other rear wheel. Must be 2, to even have a chance at the capability they claim.


Someone asked on their FB page and they confirmed dual rear drive.
JJ2525
100 mW
100 mW
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 am

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby agraham » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:51 pm

777arc wrote:They mention how they seek to "avoid drag while kick-pushing the board", and later it says "The Monolith’s Rev Wheel can be changed in ten seconds without any tools. This way you’re always ready to ride." So sounds to me like they may have initially intended to design a hub motor that had no drag, then realized it was impossible, so their solution is to swap out wheels.


That is a great feature if true. If I could pull the belts off mine in ten seconds so I could freewheel that would be huge.
agraham
10 W
10 W
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:57 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby agraham » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:54 pm

JJ2525 wrote:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inboard/the-monolith-worlds-first-skateboard-with-in-wheel

Thoughts?


Love it. Want one. Kinda hope it takes two years to come out so I can feel good about the one I have for a while. :mrgreen:
agraham
10 W
10 W
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:57 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby higrade » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:21 pm

You guys realize we getting excited because this is a successfully hub motor implementation. At 13000 if we get the current hub motor project running we can make super boards with that money. I say we stick to the diy and try to support the current project here, with ideas so we can perfect it.
higrade
100 mW
100 mW
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby torqueboards » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:26 pm

higrade wrote:You guys realize we getting excited because this is a successfully hub motor implementation. At 13000 if we get the current hub motor project running we can make super boards with that money. I say we stick to the diy and try to support the current project here, with ideas so we can perfect it.


I agree 100%. Once things advance the diy option will be much better. The only difference is initial capital and electrical experience.

But collectively we can grow the entire diy eboard community much bigger - collectively as a group.

The production boards will eventually get played out and won't be worth the cost. Once eboards match the current production based boards.

What I would like for diy options.
- We need decks with built in enclosures and a top hatch.
- Reliable handheld controller with USB charging, additional buttons to program.
- Reliable esc single and dual - aka vesc.
- Reliable high voltage high amp swappable batteries with built in bms and charging capabilities.

And a few other options as well.
Last edited by torqueboards on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
DIYElectricSkateboard.com Electric Skateboard Kits
torqueboards
1.21 GW
1.21 GW
 
Posts: 3907
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:02 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby higrade » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:43 pm

torqueboards wrote:
higrade wrote:You guys realize we getting excited because this is a successfully hub motor implementation. At 13000 if we get the current hub motor project running we can make super boards with that money. I say we stick to the diy and try to support the current project here, with ideas so we can perfect it.


I agree 100%. Once things advance the diy option will be much better. The only difference is initial capital and electrical experience.

But collectively we can grow the entire diy eboard community much bigger - collectively as a group.

The production boards will eventually get played out and won't be worth the cost. Once eboards match the current production based boards.

What I would like for diy options.
- We need decks with built in enclosures and a top hatch.
- Reliable handheld controller with USB charging, additional buttons to program.
- Reliable esc single and dual - aka vesc.
- Reliable high voltage high amp swappable batteries with built in bms and charging capabilities.

And a few other options as well.


Even group buys i don't see that happening here lets get a carbon fiber deck design members sign off on it put the money together to build the mold and group buy the carbon fiber sheets.

Same for wheels

Batteries

we just need one open source arduino project that covers all the electrical requirements, we have enough members lets put our heads together.
higrade
100 mW
100 mW
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby snickster » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:18 pm

wow this comes pretty close to what my ideal imagination of an electric longboard is :) ...I am just not sure about what I should think of that battery cover, looks a little weak and I cannot imagine standing on it and riding the board with a good feeling..dont know
snickster
1 µW
1 µW
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:34 am

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby torqueboards » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 pm

higrade wrote:
torqueboards wrote:
higrade wrote:You guys realize we getting excited because this is a successfully hub motor implementation. At 13000 if we get the current hub motor project running we can make super boards with that money. I say we stick to the diy and try to support the current project here, with ideas so we can perfect it.


I agree 100%. Once things advance the diy option will be much better. The only difference is initial capital and electrical experience.

But collectively we can grow the entire diy eboard community much bigger - collectively as a group.

The production boards will eventually get played out and won't be worth the cost. Once eboards match the current production based boards.

What I would like for diy options.
- We need decks with built in enclosures and a top hatch.
- Reliable handheld controller with USB charging, additional buttons to program.
- Reliable esc single and dual - aka vesc.
- Reliable high voltage high amp swappable batteries with built in bms and charging capabilities.

And a few other options as well.


Even group buys i don't see that happening here lets get a carbon fiber deck design members sign off on it put the money together to build the mold and group buy the carbon fiber sheets.

Same for wheels

Batteries

we just need one open source arduino project that covers all the electrical requirements, we have enough members lets put our heads together.


I agree. Group buy would be awesome.
DIYElectricSkateboard.com Electric Skateboard Kits
torqueboards
1.21 GW
1.21 GW
 
Posts: 3907
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:02 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby torqueboards » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 pm

higrade wrote:
torqueboards wrote:
higrade wrote:You guys realize we getting excited because this is a successfully hub motor implementation. At 13000 if we get the current hub motor project running we can make super boards with that money. I say we stick to the diy and try to support the current project here, with ideas so we can perfect it.


I agree 100%. Once things advance the diy option will be much better. The only difference is initial capital and electrical experience.

But collectively we can grow the entire diy eboard community much bigger - collectively as a group.

The production boards will eventually get played out and won't be worth the cost. Once eboards match the current production based boards.

What I would like for diy options.
- We need decks with built in enclosures and a top hatch.
- Reliable handheld controller with USB charging, additional buttons to program.
- Reliable esc single and dual - aka vesc.
- Reliable high voltage high amp swappable batteries with built in bms and charging capabilities.

And a few other options as well.


Even group buys i don't see that happening here lets get a carbon fiber deck design members sign off on it put the money together to build the mold and group buy the carbon fiber sheets.

Same for wheels

Batteries

we just need one open source arduino project that covers all the electrical requirements, we have enough members lets put our heads together.


I agree. Group buy would be awesome.
DIYElectricSkateboard.com Electric Skateboard Kits
torqueboards
1.21 GW
1.21 GW
 
Posts: 3907
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:02 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby beto_pty » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:40 pm

The top loading battery case is a cool idea... seems a little flimsy...
The vibrator remote is cool and might help out your sexlife...
the app is also a cool idea..
The hubmotors we should have running at some point,,,
group buy of a carbon fiber bodied.. battery replaceable, bms controlled.. hub wheel motored open sourced, bmdual setting (Begginer and Maximum) board sounds good... take my money..
Do or Do not. There is no try
PATY/neta viewtopic.php?f=35&t=65384
MIni-motor Build viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56839
Destroyer viewtopic.php?f=35&t=58504
Adrianas Board viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61171
Gargoyle viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61569
Velociraptor: 6s 10.4ah, Ezrun150, 9.8 mm abec11s, Quanum, 5060NTM, 16/48 hdt5, Piggyback Charge
User avatar
beto_pty
10 kW
10 kW
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:20 am
Location: Panama City, Republic of Panama

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby torqueboards » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:53 pm

The top load should be more then fine if it's a piece of wood. Carbon fiber can be pretty strong too.

If they created it with a lip and a piece of carbon or wood sat on top that was velcro'ed would be nice. I've always wanted a deck like this but is a lot of trouble to make/create.

Similar to like a fiberglass boat and the storage compartments which they have on the floor.

We do need someone to make an awesome controller! I wish I had more electrical experience.
DIYElectricSkateboard.com Electric Skateboard Kits
torqueboards
1.21 GW
1.21 GW
 
Posts: 3907
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:02 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby beto_pty » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:29 pm

I like the wiimote works pretty well and has a nice form/size factor..
and you can make the sexually enticing tail out of Ninjaflex on your 3d printer...
Do or Do not. There is no try
PATY/neta viewtopic.php?f=35&t=65384
MIni-motor Build viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56839
Destroyer viewtopic.php?f=35&t=58504
Adrianas Board viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61171
Gargoyle viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61569
Velociraptor: 6s 10.4ah, Ezrun150, 9.8 mm abec11s, Quanum, 5060NTM, 16/48 hdt5, Piggyback Charge
User avatar
beto_pty
10 kW
10 kW
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:20 am
Location: Panama City, Republic of Panama

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby Ohbse » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:59 pm

First in wheel motor skateboard? I think Justin would disagree...

This is far from a new concept, though it does look like a slick design.
Ohbse
10 kW
10 kW
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:15 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby torqueboards » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Ohbse wrote:First in wheel motor skateboard? I think Justin would disagree...

This is far from a new concept, though it does look like a slick design.


First production :)
DIYElectricSkateboard.com Electric Skateboard Kits
torqueboards
1.21 GW
1.21 GW
 
Posts: 3907
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:02 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby kimboviper » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:40 pm

great to see more competition in the Electric Longboard market :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i wonder how they are going to stop the battery from vibrating all over the place? memory foam? Also how they are going to make that battery cover water proof?
Last edited by kimboviper on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
kimboviper
10 W
10 W
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby tung256 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:29 pm

wow this is definitely the board to beat! swappable batteries is a huge plus! nobody wants to send a board back to the company just to replace the battery. same as how i feel about swappable batteries on a phone.
im really digging the remote too. sometimes you want to let go, relax your grip/fist, without fumbling for the remote afterward.

when there's more competitions, everyone wins!
tung256
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: The Monolith: World's First Skateboard with In-wheel Mot

Postby whilechukwuzout » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:59 am

Ugh, you need to move 3 joints to control throttle with your thumb. Thats three separate variables. Your trigger finger requires one. Its simple math, modulating throttle with your thumb introduces more variables, making it much more difficult. I hope they re-think their controller, who's design their... ahem... female designer clearly borrowed from this product here:

http://www.lelo.com/index.php?collectio ... pName=TARA
whilechukwuzout
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:58 am

Next

Return to Stand-up E-scooters and E-skateboards

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests