My 40mph commuter Goped build thread.

MrDude_1

100 kW
So this is my build of a 40mph electric GoPed.

How this came about:
For most of my life, my hobbies were building cars, electronics and motorcycles.
I have ridden motorcycles for all of my adult life. I built/raced cars for all of my teenage and early 20s. I got bored with it, and I sold all my cars. I spent a little over seven years of my life with no car, just a bunch of motorcycles.
I always moved from one bike to another, usually upgrading in power or performance in one way or another. Until I bought a new 08 CBR1000. I rode that for 3 years, putting 75,000+ miles on it. No, that’s not a typo. I rode it a lot. Then I bought a 4wheeled vehicle, met the woman who became my wife, and rode less.
A couple years ago, I decided to get a second job to save some money up for our wedding. I found out about a local service that took a gas powered GoPed to bars, picked up drunk people in their own cars, with the scooter in the trunk, then rode it back. Given that I love two wheels, I like riding at night, and I can deal with drunk people easily... it sounded perfect.
It was fun. I didn’t make much money, but I also didn’t spend money when working. I got to ride all over town on a GoPed, and loved riding them.
Then some dumb drunk almost ran me over. He didn’t as I am alert and pay attention, but as I was pulling out of his way I tripped, hit my knee, and hurt it. Long story short, That was my last night doing that, and I didn’t go back to the gym or anything for 2 years.
Still, I like stand up scooters now. I know they're "legal" here in the City of Charleston, as long as they're GoPeds. The exception was placed there for that same company I worked for.
So I could just have bought a gas powered GoPed, mod it a little for speed, and be done with it.
Except for one little thing. I like building electronic projects. I sometimes commute by bicycle, and an ebike would be a natural things to build.. I SHOULD be doing it... but I have wanted to build an electric motorcycle for years. The only thing stopping me is the cost. To do it the way I want, would be at least $25,000 by the time it was done. Sure it would be "bike show winning" quality... I could tone it down to be more reasonable, and then I could afford it, but I can’t bring myself to do a project that isn’t what I want.
So I decided I would build an electric GoPed. Fun. Unique. and a good start for everything I need to know for my future motorcycle build.
Straight out the gate There was a lot to overcome. First of all, I needed to buy one. Since I was already planning to heavily modify it, a used one seemed like the best bet.
I won’t go into the full hell of finding one, but let’s just say the main GoPed forum disappeared.. it’s like the ebike world if endless-sphere went away.. everything points to it, and its gone.
cutting to the end... I purchased a GoPed ESR750 off eBay.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Pre-build:
I rode the stock goped to work a few times. Very fun, but it had issues.
First issue was the rear brake... there wasn’t one. GoPed only put front brakes on ESRs from the factory. Their add-on rear brake looked tacked-on and hung off the wrong side of the frame.
So I modded the wheel to fit a disc, found the thinnest caliper I could, and thinned it as much as I could, and fit it all together.
Next issue is the pole/handlebars were a little loose. Added a clamp to the bottom, and fixed that.
I also fixed the throttle (housing cracked), battery wires(loose crimps) and a few other things (handgrips, etc)
I now had a solid base. a GoPed that I could BEARLY ride to and from work on the stock lead-acid batteries. Fun, but it slowed a lot before I got to work. Even though it’s a max of 35mph between home and work, I had to stick to the sidewalk because I maxxed at 20mph and was going about 15 or less by the time I was at work. Eventually It wouldn’t make the entire trip at all.
So for my first upgrade, I did a little controller research. I figured out my controller will work with 33v. So I stuck 8 bricks of 4s lipo in the battery tray. I also added a bright LED front light, a tail-light, and a voltmeter. I cleaned up the motor and checked the brushes. The scooter was much improved. It would hold 20mph easily, and get there faster. I’ve touched 25 a couple times, but that was on a slight downslope. All would be great, except I was now slowly cooking the brushed motor. Not good.
20150307_214351.jpg

20150316_191136.jpg

20150316_191140.jpg

20150316_191205.jpg

20150316_191213.jpg

20150316_191221.jpg

20150316_191224.jpg

20150316_191225.jpg

20150316_191233.jpg

20150316_191238.jpg

20150316_191239.jpg

20150316_191249.jpg

20150316_191251.jpg

So the next step is where I am at now. And where this build thread begins.

The build:
It’s hard to take a project as complex as this and lay it out in a format that makes sense for someone to read with others commenting.. but I am going to try anyway... I have a lot of ideas that are how I think I am going to do something.. but I am holding back most of that until I actually try to do them.. otherwise this thread would just be full of random "hope this idea works" theories.
There are several sub projects:
  • Building the motor.
  • Building battery pack.
  • Testing the motor/controller.
  • Modifying frame for motor mounting.
  • Building spacer for deck.
  • Mounting/wiring controller, lights and controls
  • Test riding it. / revising controller settings / etc.
  • building backpack light
  • building backpack/bulk charger
  • Final details, front/rear fender, etc...

Here are the stats on the final project build:
  • 16s4p 20ah pack, charged to 66v
  • Sensored 80-100 motor - wound with 6.5 turns 14ga-two-in-hand - with 3d printed impeller/fan for improved cooling.
  • Lyen 12FET Extreme Modder Controller
  • Currently geared for 6900 motor RPM at 40mph... this is easily changed as needed.
  • Backpack will have 4 BRIGHT-BRIGHT-OMG-I-CANT-LOOK-AT-IT COB LED array lights flashing a holy-moly-I’m-gonna-have-a-seizure-pattern.
  • Backpack will also be setup with 2 meanwell SP-500-27 supplies putting out 33v each... for a nice quick but under 1c bulk charge.
You'll notice this doesn’t have stats like "I will be putting out X watts of power"... this is because I need to test what I can do. What I will say is that my batteries are more capable than my controller. My controller (once modified) is more capable than the motor... and the motor will be slowly increased in power until I know its thermal limits. Then I will stay within them, or get a bigger motor. I have the width to allow up to a 300mm stator... but I would get zero airflow through something that long.... and with this babbling, I'll start with where I am now. The motor.
Motor Build:
I was going to run a sensored 80-85 motor. The motor was sold to me unassembled by Thud. He was kind enough to part with one of his 80-85 motors and include everything I should need to put it together. Hall sensors, paper, and all...
This is my first time winding a motor, so feel free to laugh, but give me any tips you can. I know my first try at this sucks. Badly. I will redo it and start over. I will keep doing this motor, trying to get it better and neater, until I get the hang of it.
20150316_182036.jpg

20150316_182046.jpg

20150316_182052.jpg

20150316_182057.jpg

20150316_182102.jpg

20150316_182105.jpg

20150316_182107.jpg

20150316_190228.jpg

20150316_190233.jpg

20150316_190241.jpg

20150316_190244.jpg

20150316_190245.jpg

20150316_190254.jpg

Until then… I just found a motor on here for sale… so I’ll buy that motor and keep moving forward.

Thanks for the post and pics! 25k miles per year is pretty good for fair weather moto riding, haha…

As you quickly realized, RC Lipo brings a helluva lot more energy (heat) to the proceedings than SLA.

I rode ESR’s a long time ago and for big guys and/or rough roads they’re just not “it” for me. But if it works for you great and good luck!

I now favor converting “kickbikes” with eBike hub motors, much cleaner, simpler and larger wheels make for better ride and durability, IMO. But, maybe your legal definition is of concern?

As far as your ESR journey I’ll predict a few “high-mileage” things you’ll probably discover if you haven’t already. #25 chain is very marginal. I realize their gassers used that chain but nowhere near the torque produced by a HOT electric motor. If you weigh 225lbs or so like me, good luck with that.

Wheel size - good road surfaces, no problem. Bad road surfaces, deep potholes? Take out Clavicle insurance…

Frame strength - I know PMW has long touted their “aircraft” quality 350-450lb load rating frame but my experience is that heavy guys will break them. I’ve gotta picture somewhere will try to find. If/when you ever notice dragging a little more than usual while leaning/turning on familiar routes, flip it over and have a look…

Thanks again for sharing your project.

Ykick said:
Thanks for the post and pics! 25k miles per year is pretty good for fair weather moto riding, haha…
It wasnt always fair weather. lol. Thinking back, I remember some foul weather rides the most. hahahaa

Ykick said:
As you quickly realized, RC Lipo brings a helluva lot more energy (heat) to the proceedings than SLA.
oh yea. its great having the power to go miles.. sucks that the current motor cant take it, but I'll work at it until it gets there.

Ykick said:
I rode ESR’s a long time ago and for big guys and/or rough roads they’re just not “it” for me. But if it works for you great and good luck!
I now favor converting “kickbikes” with eBike hub motors, much cleaner, simpler and larger wheels make for better ride and durability, IMO. But, maybe your legal definition is of concern?
yeah, there is the legal part of "goped" and then theres the mobility part.. a 10" tire scooter(as in 10" outer diameter) I can still kind-of sneak inside.. I can even fold it up and strap it on my back.. or fold it up and put it in the trunk... anything larger loses that. That said, I know about the larger wheel stability... I doubt I'll ever max out the speed simply because of that. At 45mph its twitchy but still in my comfort zone... any faster and it very quickly loses stablity. I figure I'll stick around 35-40mph since I will mostly be on 35mph streets... all of the 45mph roads have bike lanes.

Ykick said:
As far as your ESR journey I’ll predict a few “high-mileage” things you’ll probably discover if you haven’t already. #25 chain is very marginal. I realize their gassers used that chain but nowhere near the torque produced by a HOT electric motor. If you weigh 225lbs or so like me, good luck with that.
oh yeah.. I am sticking to the #25 for now, until I figure out my gearing. That way I can experiment with nice cheap off the shelf sprockets. I know how to make chains last, from my motorcycle experience.. I stick to steel sprockets and I clean/lube them regularly... however If I start having real chain issues, I will swap up chain sizes, once I know what sprockets I need to have made. No sense in making custom sprockets now, as I have no idea if I need to change ratios...

Ykick said:
Wheel size - good road surfaces, no problem. Bad road surfaces, deep potholes? Take out Clavicle insurance…
oh yeah. Nice thing is, I know all the areas I want to ride via past bicycle riding... I have lots of nice smooth road. With the 10" tires I can carve it back and forth and it feels good. I did go out and buy a new MX helmet to go with my gear... lol. When I faceplanted on the goped before, I managed to trash my extremely expensive carbon fiber helmet... No more sportbike helmets on gopeds. lol.

Ykick said:
Frame strength - I know PMW has long touted their “aircraft” quality 350-450lb load rating frame but my experience is that heavy guys will break them. I’ve gotta picture somewhere will try to find. If/when you ever notice dragging a little more than usual while leaning/turning on familiar routes, flip it over and have a look…
Oh yea.. this is already on the short list. Remember the stock ESR does not have a rear brake... well now that mine does, when I hold the rear brake and nail the throttle, it flexes the frame a bit.
I already have a solution for this. I havent gotten to this part of the build yet, but I will be replacing the stock goped motor mount tube. When I do, I will make a new rear section.
I prefer the hardtail anyway (going back to the carving on the street... and wheelies.) so re-enforcing it isnt too hard.

Ykick said:
Thanks again for sharing your project.
Welcome... I probably should have started this thread months ago...

Yeah, be careful....check on youtube goped esr 1000 crash in NYC. The guys was running the goped at 20 mph and the front end cracked and he ended up on the concrete. 40 mph will need a serious modification of the front fork plus you will need a strong front bar and rear brakes.

I placed 18650 cells (32amps -7S) in my goped esr...check on youtube goped esr 750 ex with 18650 cells. It's much lighter and I get close to 16-20 miles per one charge and @21 mph. I think this more than enough.

Silenthunter said:
Yeah, be careful....check on youtube goped esr 1000 crash in NYC. The guys was running the goped at 20 mph and the front end cracked and he ended up on the concrete. 40 mph will need a serious modification of the front fork plus you will need a strong front bar and rear brakes.

I placed 18650 cells (32amps -7S) in my goped esr...check on youtube goped esr 750 ex with 18650 cells. It's much lighter and I get close to 16-20 miles per one charge and @21 mph. I think this more than enough.

oh yeah, ive seen that video before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTancATIVzE

The Goped ESRs have a single sided front fork.. its a horrible cantilever design that makes up for its bad design by using thick steel.
While I agree that what I am asking for is fast, its no faster than the GSRs we ride all around Charleston... The only diff is the GSRs we use have a double sided front fork.. its the same design, except its on both sides.
Goped ESR hoverboards are known for snapping forks too.. I dont like the hoverboard as much as the no suspension ESR.
I will be replacing the front fork with one like this:
media.nl

instead of this:

frontforks.jpg

as for 21 mph being enough..... too fast is just enough. :twisted:
but seriously, when Im riding on the road, its with traffic, so I like to maintain a similar speed.

Awesome thread! Subbed!

I've been wanting to see an 80mm BLDC on a scooter for a while now.

I also like YKick's idea on kickscooter with ebike hub motors. That's been on my mind for a while too.

That front fork looks a bit Wonky. Might/should probably re-do that if plan on going 40mph, lol. I agree with silenthunter.

I really look forwards to seeing how your project works out.

As an electric kick-scooter user (E-Twow Booster) I would strongly encourage you to think about increasing the wheel size on your build. The additional comfort and stability will really be worth it if you actually end up using your vehicle a lot.

The fork is not the problem. Even the one side fork with the axle is strong enough to withstand the speed. The main concern is the small aluminum piece with the 1/4 inch bolt that connects the bar and the fork. It's a poor design. After riding for a short period of time it's too much stress and the piece opens up which results in disconnecting the fork from the bar. Now imagine going at 40 mph....

Silenthunter said:
The fork is not the problem. Even the one side fork with the axle is strong enough to withstand the speed. The main concern is the small aluminum piece with the 1/4 inch bolt that connects the bar and the fork. It's a poor design. After riding for a short period of time it's too much stress and the piece opens up which results in disconnecting the fork from the bar. Now imagine going at 40 mph....

Oh I dont have to imagine. I have eaten asphalt through the front of my helmet, and trashed up more than I want to think about. Making a board you stand on go 40mph with 2 wheels is a very stupid idea. :mrgreen:

That said, lets minimize the risk.... I have to be honest, I checked/greased/tightened the steering stem bearings when I bought this goped, and never looked at the bolt again. I thought it was a 3/8s bolt, but Im probably wrong. I just looked around for upgrades.. and found this:
http://www.davesmotors.com/rr608.html
rr608_2.jpg

Is this the part you're talking about upgrading? I also saw theheavy duty one for poles that dont fold.. but I need it to fold. Its one of my favorite features.

Going back to what you said about eating asphalt.. I was looking for the pic where I had bit it face first a couple years ago.. chewed through the front of my carbon fiber helmet. and faceshield. Couldt find it, but heres what my knee looked like after it went THROUGH the armor I wore under my jeans.. without that gear, I wouldnt have had a kneecap.
IMG956616.jpg

Theres actually a whole story that goes behind it, but very long story short, I had to step off the scooter at 35mph or so. I got a good solid 3 steps in before momentum took over completely and I went helmet first into the concrete. BUT the alternitive of getting run over by a drunk driver... eh, im happy.

its the small parts that threads on that bolt. Also the plastic spacer that connects the bar to the fork.

OK, so I suck at winding motors. While I havent given up completely, I want to move on. Luckily a nice motor popped up for sale here so I snagged it. Unfortunately its coming from the other side of the planet, so its going to be awhile. However I DO have the 80-85 sitting here. Its a little shorter than the 80-100 I have on the way, but I can still use it for mockup. So lets get started

Before I moved, I had a 4 car garage/shop. When I moved, I lost my custom workbench and I have almost no space. The remaining space at the very front of the garage is a mess, please excuse it and move on. lol.
First thing I need is a solid workspace to clamp things to. I decided to use a $70,000 Cicso box.
20150319_184405.jpg

20150319_184411.jpg

Throw the scooter up on it and you can see how she looks currently as I tear her down:
20150319_184946.jpg

20150319_184956.jpg

20150319_185000.jpg

20150319_185015.jpg

20150319_185516.jpg

All that is great, but undo the motor and front wire connections and you can lift the pan off to get this:
20150319_185739.jpg

20150319_185742.jpg

20150319_185748.jpg

20150319_190405.jpg

20150319_190412.jpg

Heres some last shots of the final drive I was running, before I remove them.. the idler there is called a "slackinator".. its spring loaded and kinda neat. I got it here: http://www.davesmotors.com/gg783.html There really isnt much to it, but it does an excellent job letting me preload the chain tension, and then holding it there.
(btw ignore the tire, I need to weld up a rear tire mount for my jeep, until then... the tire has been sitting in the way. lol)
20150319_190414.jpg

20150319_190416.jpg

20150319_190429.jpg

20150319_190432.jpg

20150319_190442.jpg

So now we're getting somewhere.. motor is out, This heavy brushed thing is the stock goped motor:
20150319_191208.jpg

20150319_191211.jpg

20150319_191223.jpg

20150319_191225.jpg

Here it is next to the 80-85... remember I will be running an 80-100 at first... so the final motor is 15mm longer.
20150319_191301.jpg

20150319_191304.jpg

20150319_191308.jpg

Now, as you may notice, this outrunner is larger than the stock motor... it wont fit in there:
20150319_191534.jpg

20150319_191540.jpg

20150319_191547.jpg

Simple solution... Chop up the frame and replace the smaller motor mount tube with a larger one. Here is the replacement. a 4" OD 3.750" ID .125" Wall 6"long 1020 DOM Steel Tube.
If you look closely, you'll notice the stock tube is slightly higher than the bottom of the frame. I will be placing this replacement flush with the bottom of the frame tube.. You can get an idea from the pics:
20150319_191330.jpg

20150319_191342.jpg

20150319_191345.jpg

20150319_191410.jpg

20150319_191413.jpg

20150319_191414.jpg

20150319_191435.jpg

20150319_191440.jpg

20150319_191444.jpg

20150319_191449.jpg

And final thing... how do I cool this motor? how about a 3dprinted impeller blade..
20150319_191502.jpg

once everything is mounted/aligned, I plan to cut a few slots in the motor tube, that align with the output area of this impeller/fan... neat.

So far everything is going cool. Ive actually gotten further, but I dont have pics yet. When I took out the angle grinder, I put my camera(phone) in a safe place. metal sparks/shavings and cutoff wheel powder are not good things for electronics.

so.. lets clamp this sucker down level to the overpriced work table.

20150319_205300.jpg

20150319_205307.jpg

20150319_205315.jpg

20150319_205342.jpg

20150319_205350.jpg

20150319_205355.jpg

20150319_205823.jpg

20150319_205829.jpg

there we go.. I actually cut off most of the stock tube lastnight, but ran out of cutoff wheels.. harbor freight is out of stock on metal ones (I guess I just missed a sale?) so I am going to get some tonight and pick back up... expect a decent update by monday...

This is an awesome thread. Subscribed!
-Phil

So I decided to burn Friday night, by burning myself.. lol. Just kidding, I think this is one of the few times I did an entire metal project with cutoff wheels, grinding, welding... and not burning myself... yay! :lol:

Things like this are best told in pictures.. so let the pics begin...

First things first, we need to cut off the old small tube.
20150320_183712.jpg

20150320_183715.jpg

20150320_184300.jpg

20150320_184306.jpg

20150320_184307.jpg

Almost there.. careful grinding gets us an ugly but open end...
20150320_184850.jpg

20150320_184853.jpg

20150320_184859.jpg

and now we start cleaning it up and fitting it...
20150320_194627.jpg

20150320_194634.jpg

20150320_194636.jpg

20150320_194646.jpg

and then we measure measure measure and then fit it in place.. Sorry I dont have alot of pics of measuring. the jist of it is simple... level out the scooter, both side to side, and front to back.. then level out the tube, make it square. make it even.. measure everything extra times.... tack, remeasure.
walk away.
come back
measure again.
if its all good, weld it.... as you can see my weld temp was plenty hot, its visible right through the 1/8 inch thick tube.
20150320_203031.jpg

20150320_203036.jpg

20150320_203046.jpg

20150320_203051.jpg

20150320_203057.jpg

20150320_203102.jpg

20150320_203128.jpg

now on to this thing... first thing to do is get that old tube off... looks like the kickstand is in the way though.. better take that off...
20150320_203239.jpg

20150320_203249.jpg

edit: for those wondering why this looks so crappy.... I was "testing" the settings on my welder and my new weld helmet on this piece before welding the above parts... thats why theres globs of weld all over it. :oops:
20150320_203258.jpg

ok, grind.... grind... grind.... grind.... cut... hit.. grind.. and when the whole tube end is clear, clean up the tube
20150320_211441.jpg

20150320_211445.jpg

20150320_211451.jpg

20150320_211500.jpg

And now for the most fun part of all.... measuring! no. wait... this is the stressful part where you hope you have everything perfect.

20150320_213310.jpg

20150320_213322.jpg

20150320_213331.jpg

20150320_213338.jpg

OK.. looks good.... but i screwed up here a bit... after welding it in almost perfect, I decided I would go over my welds again, to build them higher, then grind them down so it would look "smooth" after I powdercoat all of this... lets just say its easier to add weld then it is to grind it smooth, and leave it at that. lol. I will NOT try doing that again.
luckily, nothing was pulled out of place by the heat of welding...

put the wheels on.. and TA DA!!!
20150320_214913.jpg

20150320_214917.jpg

20150320_214931.jpg

20150320_214942.jpg

20150320_214946.jpg

20150320_215012.jpg

20150320_215017.jpg

20150320_215035.jpg

20150320_215040.jpg

20150320_215044.jpg

Now... how much bigger than stock is this new mount... what better way to show you, than the old motor?

20150320_215221.jpg

20150320_215228.jpg

20150320_215250.jpg

20150320_215255.jpg

And that concludes my evening update. Scoot is on the ground with room for the new motor.
Tomorrow I should have the pan electronics and battery pack wiring worked out. once thats done, I'll work on my custom height deck spacer (if needed) and then put it all together so I have a complete scooter except for the motor. Although I havent gotten tracking numbers yet, the motor should be in the mail right now. Hopefully it gets here soon. If I have to start the mount, using the 80-85 as a stand-in model I will, but I really want to get going with what will be the first motor. Until its here, I can't test my Lyen controller... I still have to add halls to it too.. and I need to order mounting hardware... etc... Lots to do. Better do all I can until more parts get here. :lol:

sk8norcal said:
but let’s just say the main GoPed forum disappeared.

http://www.billetboard.com/forum.php

Already there. Although for anything electric related, they point me over here. lol. :mrgreen:

So first thing this morning, I couldnt resist dropping the pan and deck back on to get an idea what it looks like:

20150321_082403.jpg

20150321_082935.jpg

20150321_082941.jpg

20150321_082946.jpg

20150321_082957.jpg

20150321_083001.jpg

20150321_083006.jpg

20150321_083011.jpg

20150321_083015.jpg

20150321_083314.jpg

20150321_083318.jpg

20150321_083323.jpg

Everything clears great... now on to todays task of making a deck spacer...
first, define the problem:

I am adding a second layer of lipo bricks to my board, to bring it from 33v 20ah to 66v 20ah.
when you stack the bricks on top, they're SLIGHTLY too big.
20150321_093625.jpg

20150321_093633.jpg

but you'll notice this nice lightweight piece of insulation foam is about the right size...
20150321_093905.jpg

20150321_093908.jpg

while setting this all up, heres a preview of the lyen controller, sitting where it will eventually live.
20150321_094402.jpg

20150321_094404.jpg

20150321_094409.jpg

20150321_094410.jpg

so lets get to it... heres the foam. If you've never worked with this stuff before, its nice. when you bring it home it seems stiff..because its a laminate. if you pull off the plastic sheet on both sides, it becomes much more flexible. first thing to do is pull this sheet off.
20150321_095024.jpg

20150321_095029.jpg

20150321_095040.jpg

trace it out.
20150321_095248.jpg

20150321_095251.jpg

20150321_095253.jpg

rough cut it, and bolt it to the spacer
20150321_110049.jpg

20150321_110057.jpg

This is my small belt sander.
20150321_110103.jpg

20150321_110105.jpg

just put some duct tape on the plastic to keep from hitting it, and slide the foam around the belt sander until its flush.
20150321_110115.jpg

20150321_110511.jpg

20150321_110515.jpg

20150321_110518.jpg

repeat for the center holes. I did the big one just like the edges... but the smaller one I used a dremel 561 cutting bit ... its neat because you can plunge it in something, like foam or drywall... and then use it sideways to make cutouts.
20150321_115020.jpg

20150321_115022.jpg

20150321_115027.jpg

Heres where I should have taken more pics... I use a mirror as a flat surface, and mark of an area. Then clean it and use mold release on that area. Here I am using the plastic spacer to mark out the area, because the foam is in the backyard with a coat of black paint on it....
20150321_120420.jpg

20150321_120423.jpg

20150321_120425.jpg

I then laid out one layer of fiberglass, and wet it out.. then pressed the foam down.
I then wet the foam, and laid another layer on top. making a foam sandwich with fiberglass bread. yum!
I then covered everything with a drop cloth, because I am outside, and if you havent noticed already, there are 14 trees in my front yard, and they all think its Autumn, year round...
20150321_124043.jpg

20150321_124047.jpg

20150321_124048.jpg

and thats where I am now... Its curing outside, and I am inside posting this and thinking about making lunch. :pancake:

I can't wait to see how the 'glass turns out!

So when doing projects like this...attention to detail is very important. I screwed up a bit. :oops:
I normally work with performance composites, and I almost exclusively use epoxy resin. This spacer is not really a high performance application, its just a layer of glass around a piece of foam, nothing special. So I used some polyester resin given to me awhile back.
For those that dont know, polyester resin eats foam. Epoxy resin does not.
So the whole thing melted inside the glass as it cured... making a flexible mushball in roughly the shape I wanted. no help.

20150321_135917.jpg

20150321_135918.jpg

20150321_140003.jpg

20150321_140005.jpg

20150321_140006.jpg

20150321_140010.jpg

20150321_140121.jpg

Since its the right shape, I considered just laying some carbon fiber over it, a few layers of that, and it would be stiff enough, even though it was now hollow... but I decided against it. So I created plan B... The entire reason I was using fiberglass over over foam was that I already had it sitting around. I have composite tools and metalworking tools, but almost no wood tools.
I DO however have a friend that does wood. Heck, its his last name too! :lol: So I gave him a call.

He has a router, saws... and even some scrap I can use. So it looks like I may be outsourcing the spacer for the moment. lol :lol:

In the meantime.. I guess I'll go back up and work on getting all the batteries setup. I also plan to make a couple frame sliders to go under it.. I suppose now is a good time to do that.

sk8norcal said:
very nice! subscribe.

you should check out this guy's channel,
he has a bunch of modified racing gopeds,
with him and others going crazy fast on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cduGE3r05-o

but let’s just say the main GoPed forum disappeared.

http://www.billetboard.com/forum.php

This guy only purchased and replaced aftermarket parts compare to us whom chop and rebuilt/built the EV stuff. I am surprised that you didn't post my custom ESR with the brushless motor and 18650 cells from Youtube.

I also think that placing the 80mm motor is overkill. I used the turnigy 6374 and I was able to get speeds between 30-50 miles/h. Even with this motor in order to keep these high speeds you will have to redesign/reinforce the front part.

Silenthunter said:
This guy only purchased and replaced aftermarket parts compare to us whom chop and rebuilt/built the EV stuff. I am surprised that you didn't post my custom ESR with the brushless motor and 18650 cells from Youtube.

I also think that placing the 80mm motor is overkill. I used the turnigy 6374 and I was able to get speeds between 30-50 miles/h. Even with this motor in order to keep these high speeds you will have to redesign/reinforce the front part.

None of that is a big deal. I noticed some people put a brace on for the curve on the downtube. I may do that if needed... Look at the guys running the big 2stokes, I asked about it lastnight here: http://www.billetboard.com/showthread.php/11269-Faster-two-strokes-than-the-GP460
Some of these guys are hitting over 50mph on the gassers. They're basically the same scooter as my ESR, except they have the bothy fork and the frame doesnt have the tube in the middle.(and the rear frame is on the otherside of the rear wheel.)
Eventually I'll replace the entire frame, with the pan being structural. at that point it will be a nice stiff 3d structure, instead of a spine tube with a pan on top. But I consider that a second project.

As for the 80mm motor being overkill, I disagree. There are a couple things here.
First of all, I am NOT building a "golf cart EV"... Think less eco-car and more Tesla P85D. The idea isnt what will just meet a performance goal. Remember I am someone that took a 200hp, 400lb vehicle and commuted with it for half a decade. I have respect for high performance vehicles, but if the limitation of acceleration is power, and not the center of gravity (aka wheelie) or traction, It needs more power. :mrgreen:

Second is reliability. You cant reliably run a 63mm motor under full load for an entire 20+ah 66v pack. I want to have something I can just step on, ride to work, ride to the store, hop around downtown, etc... When I am done I am not going to worry about overworking the motor... or overheating it. Rather than worry about if the 80-100 is enough, I am over here wondering if I should mock up dual 80-100s now incase I need them later. Look at the videos for the dual motor 80-100 ebikes. They are closer to the performance I want... mount them both on the same shaft, and just run dual controllers... or sync the magnets and run them on one beefy controller.... still leaving that option out. Then theres the random thought of taking the 85mm stator I have and stacking it on the 100mm thats on the way, to give me a bigger better motor... I left plenty of room incase I had to sleeve motor bells...

Its not overkill when its designed to be that way. :mrgreen:
The end result of this should be more motorcycle than moped.

Vitalie, Here u go :wink:
did u ever post a thread on it?

[youtube]YwSBlHaHXN4[/youtube]

That guy Derek does a lot of modifications to those gas gopeds,
There are frame modifications also.
I think we all can learn a thing or two from his videos.
(I like the bigger wheels the race guys use)

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20732 (E-racer)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=60728 (Guy H)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=62155 (Silviasol)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20113 (scoot)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=48989

sk8norcal said:
Vitalie, Here u go :wink:
did u ever post a thread on it?

[youtube]YwSBlHaHXN4[/youtube]

That guy Derek does a lot of modifications to those gas gopeds,
There are frame modifications also.
I think we all can learn a thing or two from his videos.
(I like the bigger wheels the race guys use)

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20732 (E-racer)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=60728 (Guy H)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=62155 (Silviasol)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20113 (scoot)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=48989

You know, before making my build thread, I did read just about every post on endless sphere related to gopeds, researched alot of it, and have seen everything you posted... Dont get me wrong, I like the enthusiasm, but I seriously doubt you're going to show me anything new on this board or billet board.

Back