A Honest Review Alien Drive, DYI Electric Skate Kit

saming

10 W
Hello Everyone I want to thank everyone for all your help in making my board though all my trials and error.
I Bough 2 kits so far one Alien Drive and one From DYI Electric Skate First i bough miss matching parts then bough alot more to make up for it which leads me to 3 electric skateboards. Here goes the review

Alien Drive I bough on the premise of sweet easy set up granted i bough the older weaker kit. It was not Easy considering my non mechanical background and my inability to ask for help. First and foremost problem my 192Kv motor did not have the key way spot so i ground a spot for it. second my keyway kept flying and constantly needed to be replaced till discovery of lo-cite blue. Next came the Multitude of problem that Swarmed me Cause my inexperience Like buying multiple wrong wheels though my own miscommunication.
First my mount bracket would vibrate the screws off(locite Fixed this). next my first esc Sentilon100A i was too hard on so i fried it trying 12s and learned about capasitors Loss 100$ down. Replaced with Trackstar 1/5th Scale Sensorless 200amp 8s, my tx broke and forced me to take a hard look till i plugged it to my channel 3 and it worked with the Hk servo nob then i found out it was the tx not the esc. Granted i still bought the Turnigy Super Brain 100A Brush-less ESC and used HV Ice Esc. my Trackstar doesn't seem to work. but my super brain works flawless. And total of 9 months in the building though my frustrations of being inexperience and my deck is complete total under 20 miles on the board. then boom my mount breaks (Granted I have the older weaker Bracket) shoots my motor into the road. Very Up set Feeling. Granted he cheerfully Replaced the part with a newer stronger bracket. and i assumed he would of paid shipping but i covered since free replacement part also since i was so thrilled with the replacement i bough speed vent adapter for my deck. Soon to arrive. Other Problems that plagued me my mount part that attacted to the caliber trucks were litteraly a slim card size from perfect fit which made my wheel aliment nearly impossable till i put a piece plastic from credit card to fill the gap and boom Problem solved. this was solved before the mount broke granted i changed the nuts and bolts to the bracket trying to fix my vibration screw becoming very loose. Now with my hardships behind me lets Shout out the Pros and Cons
Pros
*Multiple Wheel Gearing size 32t 36t 40t. multiple little gears 12t 14t 15t which matter, and multiple Bore size which doesn't matter.
*They way his site works out lines you up for a complete set up is very thoughtful so its harder to mess up your motor to gear ratios.
*Multiple choices for Wheels and more options for cleaner set up including customize deck box.
*Lots of Videos on site and Good pictures easy navigation
*Great Customer Service and Values Quality service.

Cons
*UK cost much more that usd and shipping is brutal for US customers.
*Requires a small degree of Mechanical ingenuity
*Issues with Mount perfectly fitting on trucks.
*Personal miscommunication which lead to wrong parts(my bad)
*Gear hub aliment issues.
*Shipping times is about a week to Washington.

Now For DYI Electric Skateboard Kit
so in the process of my motor bracket exploding from my deck I bough another kit so my kids can ride there own deck. after having some issues with the usps taking my package to my neighbor. First Ease of access the hardest thing i did with this set up was putting on the wheel mount had to do a couple of retakes since i wasnt thinking about it. after that everthing lined up nicely fitting the motor was so easy for belt tension Easy set up. Some disappointment ensued which i knew about but didnt do math. i have a 192 kv motor with 5s takes me 11Mph.
Problem fixed 8s goes 17 Mph 9s goes 19Mph. so my deck has 3 batterys 2 4s battery and 1 5s battery 5000mah each. I got some talcon 245 coming to fix this issue
To the Pros and Cons
*Shipping was 2 days CA to WA
*Easy set up. too easy simple fast. belt fit perfectly no adjustment required or aliment. which was one of my issues with the Alien drive.
*Structurally sound IMO Much better quality than the pictures do justice.
*Complete Kit Trucks and wheels bearings Bonus
*Life time Truck mount guarantee
*Great Price Value

Cons
*Gearing only 16/44t.(not a problem with Correct Motor Purchase) Smoother acceleration cause the gearing ratio which is Great for beginner looking for good smooth setup.
*Site is very Miss leading to the common person with no knowledge but the information there if you can read As i have poor site navigation skills.
*I wish i had more Cons but i only had the set up for a few days now. no complaints

Final Personal Opinion for cost and budget expectation.
But First Both Products are amazing they both work. Both founded by people that truly care about quality products and electric skateboards. now were done with my talking about pros and cons lets talk about Value!
Lets say cost first
The Alien drive for duel set up is £195.00 plus £7 Shipping which comes to 300 with out tracking and 320 with give or take USD
Now for the Hidden Cost
Trucks 50
Wheels and bearings 50
Now for the Perks of Alien drive
Gearing 15/32t with 6s battery on 192Kv is 18Mph which is Value Town if you think about
Battery charger greater than 6s is pricey Battery bigger than 6s is also pricey. so it keeps cost down.
not saying its better or worst but most people should stay under 6s to make it affordable since a 6s esc is under 50 and a 10s esc is over 100 bucks easy. so with the correct motor and esc and battery you get near performance. not considering torque for hills. easier to get higher top speed I get serious cogging issues with under 4mph but not anytime. so with the perk of gearing to make up the cost for esc you get a serious ride that can go 20mph and about 4 to 6 miles with 5000Mah for me.

The Electric Skate Kit is 300 with 20 shipping USD Comes with trucks and wheels bearing saves about a hundred bucks.
Now with the Gearing 16/44t and a 245 talcon motor with 6s battery takes you to about 17 Mph
290 20 Mph
But my problem is my own i have a 192Kv Sk3 motor with 5s is 11Mph Personal problem.
I can not give you any advice on torque vrs top speed but on a personal note you wont really need go faster than 20 mph but I have a personal speed which i like to cruise the park and thats 26Mph for me to Really enjoy Skateboard and my fastest is 35ish i could go faster but i dont like to push small wheels to fast speed with not smooth roads.

Now I am Ranting too much. Final though.
If your looking for something easy to set up and easy to maintain i would go with the DYI electric skate No head Achs no alinement issues fast delivery does what i want it to do with little knowledge. One piece mount that lines up perfectly from pulley to pulley.simple belt tension. and Cost if you were smart and though about your parts like i should of and did not its is way cheaper bang for buck and simplicity factor that could save me 9 months worth of stubborn thinking..

If you got some cash to blow and want custom parts and attachments go Alien drive You could make it off road that's an options. with the site easy to navigate and hard to buy the wrong kit since its all lined up. When i made my first board it was with the impression I couldand would go over 45 Mph but that is just dumb and unrealistic not to mention not safe and super expensive. considering my 4 100$ Esc choices i bough all my parts to go fast when i just wanted something to go 25mph. I have seismic wheels with caliber trucks which are great quality parts but when you just want a skateboard that is electric Name brand means very little considering were making our own board not buying a pre made complete Name Brand Here.

All the love for both these guys for putting out great kits and hopefully my trial and tribulation helps everyone else out there. i know people have there own build issues but after i got everything together. I like to think im smarter brighter and Both Kits do the Exact same thing. just depends on budget and cost for replacement shipping for parts.
If there is anything i left or or did wrong please let me know.
Throwing A Shout out Both of them are very vrs in the knowledge of electric skateboard if you do have questions let them know they will tell you what will suite you Don't Pull the Saming(that's ME) and read a bunch and buy a bunch of part just to have spares for no reason ask question and they will be answered. no such thing as a dumb question just dumb people askin them lol.

PS
The most expensive thing your should buy for your skateboard is the battery. the more you spend the faster farther you can go.
Most the issues happened though thoughtless buying of parts and accessory. also having super high expectations of great top speed of 45Mph was lots of monies wasted.
And support your local dealers the more you support the better stuff your local stores can supply. not some Chinese reproduction with no heart or care of service remaking other people kits.
I rarely post so please be kind
Thank you
Saming

Saming thanks for sharing your experiences with both of these suppliers. I think you're fortunate to be able to purchase from them both, but it also lets you make a less biased review. Most of the time, you only hear from people who got most of their equipment from either APS or DIY.

Sorry to hear about your ESC troubles...the struggle is real! I'm so afraid of turning mine into a paperweight. What Tx were you using?

From what I've seen the SK3 motors tend to like more power (8s or higher).

As Torqueboards mentioned, changing your wheel pully from a 44T to a 36T will give you some better results. If I did that to my build, I would gain 7mph.

But I think that you will see your biggest gains in increasing your power to 8s, or 10s if your bones can handle it!

Also, look at your ESC settings, you may need to tweak the acceleration after you swap pulleys (if you go that route).

I'd love to see some pictures of your finished boards if you have any :D

Edit: Maybe you're next board should come from Enertion :lol:

Thanks for the honest write up!

There is a Great chance i will the only reason i didn't try his out is limited availability and its is AUS

Hi
That's is an honest review - thank you for been impartial..but i could i just add that the kit you reviewed is one that i stopped selling nearly a year ago now and it has been replaced by a far superior product..and all the issues of fit ,alignment and belt tension have been dealt with..
So although impartial and honest -its not really up to date or relevant to the products i currently sell..
Regards
Richard

saming said:
79 dollar shipping for the big packages i think

Yeah shipping sux...

But now you spent enough money to buy two kits... the false economy.

To the Alien Drive yes that was a review for first generation Order and I knew I was buying on the cusp of your new product. Still I'm pretty happy with the learning experience and would Definitely buy again and I did buy the Extra Wheel hub since his service was Fantastic to cover the shipping charge for my replacement. Thanks for being Awesome Guys.

I have all the ones you mentioned & a few more & some I've made myself. This is not a perfect science, hence the term "Kit". And with any kit there is a huge D.I.Y factor which really determines the performance of the end result. All of these kits require finesse, fitting, re-fitting, checking & testing and maintenance. At that point being somewhat mechanically inclined is necessary, so they're definitely not "Turn-key".

Hightower said:
Maybe you're next board should come from Enertion :lol:

I'm in love with my Enertion gear. While at this point I've made some customizations like swapping out the box and trying different switches and vibration mitigation, and at some point i'm going to experiment with different battery configs, i'd still go with Enertion kit at the core for my next build. Smooth and fast.

onloop said:
Yeah shipping sux...
Because of distance it takes a while... and don't forget the bird smugglers in hong-kong :lol:

Back