Steelhubs.com

Lightweight / Folding / Portable EVs - seats optional
Pylonflyer
10 mW
10 mW

Re: community project HUB MOTOR

Post by Pylonflyer » Apr 23, 2016 10:15 pm

Made my wheels, did the color to match my existing wheel set. Have my VESCs on order so I need to figure out my truck situation.
Attachments
2016-04-23 20.14.53.jpg

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Apr 24, 2016 3:02 am

Nice color.

The rubber looks like it's back to front. The dimples on the inside.

How hard a rubber did u use and then cure at 150 for 4 hours? How will heat change the rubber over time?

The Arsenal cast trucks dont need any mod and fit the wheel extension with the 165 and 180

I haven't been looking lately but I guess it's still hard to get vescs

Nordle
100 W
100 W

Post by Nordle » Apr 24, 2016 3:09 am

What should the heat do with the rubber? Works on all kind of urethane?
4:20 Noob Hubz! BLAZE it
..sry for dat poor english..

206monkey32
10 W
10 W

Post by 206monkey32 » Apr 24, 2016 7:08 am

Did you print wheels!!!

206monkey32
10 W
10 W

Post by 206monkey32 » Apr 24, 2016 7:11 am

Also those are beautiful!!!! Let me know if you sell those bad boys ever ......assuming ng functional I'll totally take a set.

Pylonflyer
10 mW
10 mW

Post by Pylonflyer » Apr 24, 2016 10:43 am

Haha, I didn't print them. These are cast. Truth is, my workbench is such a mess I didn't want to use it as a backdrop for the pic. My 3D printer was the best choice :D

John, I just temporarily slid one on to test fit so I'll flip it around. Good eye, though!

Regarding heat for urethane, a post cure at elevated temps will help with physical properties. Production wheels are actually processed at high heat already and then further baked, but using room-temperature curing two-part urethanes will also benefit from heat too. Having said that, not all urethanes are equal when it comes to formulation so luckily we have several systems with very high physical properties that are performing well for these wheels. I explained in more detail further back in the thread about casting wheels from urethane.

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Apr 26, 2016 2:01 pm

The bad news...these motors use an aluminum shaft with slide fit bearings and the bearing is held to it with retaining fluid. Ideally it would be a steel shaft. Bearings with load should be on steel. As long as the retaining fluid isn't cooked off then then the motor will be silent. If the retaining fluid comes off the bearing's steel side, it will rattle. If it comes off the aluminum side it will rattle and deform. Anyone who got these from me be aware of if it starts to rattle and tell me about it and we can get in and add more retaining fluid. My earlier motors were silent, my newer motors one has a rattle and I suspect it's because I've cooked them up to 220f and the retaining fluid suffered.

The future...the manufacturer offered to do the motors in all steel. As it is now its half steel. If it's done in all steel the bearings can be pressed in. With all steel and pressed bearings....that's how I want to do it from now on. It will solve this problem of rattling and possibly deforming the aluminum. Thermal expansion under the stator won't be a problem either and then I won't be adding blue goo. Heavier but rock solid and last forever. Aluminum is not intended for load bearing shafts. Or I'll find a higher heat retaining fluid.

The motors work great but I can not stand any rattling, especially if the aluminum side were to come loose it would be damaging.
Before anyone screams foul all I'm saying is the motors need upkeep if there is any rattling. if it's the aluminum side it could deform it.
im going to get another set going with the best high heat retaining fluid I can find and then we will see

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Apr 30, 2016 10:57 am

To make up for my blue goo mistake I'm offering anyone who got a set of the blue goo motors a new set for 100$.
The blue motors have the same peak power as the unadulterated but they don't get rid of heat well and their continuous power level is lower because of this. But run them still; they're good up till 200f and with your fingers things get too hot to hold at as low as 135f. I ride them as hard as I can on rolling hills and flats without a worry for up to half an hour. Best to get an infrared thermometer for 15$ and keep under 180f to be safe.

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » May 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Im Defianately doing a GoPro video really soon and show the power these motors have.
People who bought these already and haven't put them together or are on the fence about getting these and concerned
If u get a set of these at 150$ a set, with rubber, you get them and if at anytime ur not happy with how they perform...ill sell u the steel set for 150. They are sold for 65$ to me and I still have the expense of the rubber and time. There's no scam here just trying to get me those steel motors. The aluminum .. U will see in the video.
Who is riding these besides me!? Things take time I know and even now I just broke down again. Hope it's my receiver connection. It went away when I hot glued the plug but it's back: one motor shutting off and on

Ultimately we want not just the rotor steel, which it is, but also the purple piece in the center which is now aluminum to be steel as well. All steel we can have the bearings pressed, as they're supposed to be, not me using retaining fluid and a tight slide fitting, a steel shaft is what is needed to not have to think twice. U could even just mount them with loctite then and I wouldn't think twice.

I'm waiting on the minimum quantity of the steel they will do. The same design maybe slightly lightened with some small drillings

Pylonflyer
10 mW
10 mW

Post by Pylonflyer » May 06, 2016 2:35 pm

I'd have mine built already but am waiting for VESC's. I printed battery and VESC enclosures already and have batteries galore. Can't wait to get 'em!!

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » May 08, 2016 10:36 am

And China is trying to sell these to everyone and anyone, except Dexter for some reason.

http://alienpowersystem.com

Bummed and they tell me they won't in the future

I'm going to do the long cure time rubber from now on as the quick cure doesn't seem to hold up as well as the original wheels Troy sent me which he told me were long cure

The goal to get these done in steel continues but the aluminum are still going and no one thinks they're a problem but me.
This isn't the place to sell and for prices but pm me if ur interested in getting involved. You get the aluminum, for the promo price, and have the option of continuing with that price for the steel later. I feel I'm trying to undersell my own manufacturer.

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » May 09, 2016 11:28 pm

As part of a deal made with the manufacturer Brotherhobby they will sell the motors to me for 66 and everyone at 80. Hopefully they keep to this promise.
I've looked into legality of them just taking the design and selling it, which they've obviously done, and it has to be dealt with through China's local laws. I want to forget it and hope we can keep to this deal and I'm happy. Extra happy because also they will sell me 20 steel now one time instead of the full 100. I'll be selling these very cheap partially to keep them from selling to others and partially because I want to get a hubmotor under...you

Looking into higher heat rubber and finding it. Also I think even the slow cure stuff Troy made for me in the 83 and 90 is much better at handling the heat than the quick cure stuff I sent to everyone. Disappointing but solvable.

Have blades made on a 3D printer that attach inside the air holes and pull air through which I'll be testing as soon as fix my receiver connection. if these motors can get to a higher sustained power they will be very very satisfying.

flathill
100 kW
100 kW

Post by flathill » May 10, 2016 2:47 am

Almost never trust China

Even if you don't believe in IP you have to be against them

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » May 14, 2016 10:48 pm

https://youtu.be/2qMn7hgd6mg

Bad shooting but gives an idea of how they go and what they sound like. Two vescs on FOC. 12s.

This is my neighborhood in San Francisco

Sale. Sale. Pm me. Still haven't gotten around to making a site and trying to sell

chuttney1
100 W
100 W

Post by chuttney1 » May 15, 2016 12:40 am

Hummina Shadeeba wrote:https://youtu.be/2qMn7hgd6mg

Bad shooting but gives an idea of how they go and what they sound like. Two vescs on FOC. 12s.
Tip on video making which I assume you already know. Turn device sideways to get that widescreen look.

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » May 15, 2016 2:04 am

Wide angle yea that would be better. There were maybe 30 seconds of that worth watching. The part where I said "this is a bad shot", that was the best shot coming to a stop down a hill a closeup of the wheel, and the sound of the brakes, fantastic. The rest sucked and sorry to anyone who sat through any of the rest. It'll make you walk around with your head sideways watching that. Trying to shake it off
The motors and vescs are stars that just need the right camera man

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » May 15, 2016 2:43 am

Hummina Shadeeba wrote:Wide angle yea that would be better. There were maybe 30 seconds of that worth watching. The part where I said "this is a bad shot", that was the best shot coming to a stop down a hill a closeup of the wheel, and the sound of the brakes, fantastic. The rest sucked and sorry to anyone who sat through any of the rest. It'll make you walk around with your head sideways watching that. Trying to shake it off
The motors and vescs are stars that just need the right camera man
Come to Santa Cruz, I will auto-track film you from any heights or angles in 4k riding along the coast, and up and down the steep forest hills.

Sample video I filmed today:

Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » May 15, 2016 3:22 am

That's a nice video. Really nice. Thanks for the offer I'd really like to do that sometime in the future. The drone you have, how do you control it? I forget what they're called..the blinders you wear. They sound fantastic if you had the right controls. Be worth having a lazy boy converted to have pedals. Also do you ever get it to follow a programmed route that's detailed or is the gps not accurate enough if ur not the military?
I used to fly drones commercially ! For a real estate photographer. Before it was deemed legal for business he distanced himself from it. The one I flew was pretty cheap and didn't have near the stability your shots have nor the detail.

s28400
100 W
100 W

Post by s28400 » May 15, 2016 3:43 am

Awesome thread, are you still selling these or would I have to wait a while? Also, have you done any hill/acceleration performance tests yet? Keep up the good work!
My Project Site: https://www.radicalcreation.com
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » May 15, 2016 10:52 am

There's a new electric skateboard building site which has become become much busier than here and I've been writing about what's happening there :

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders ... e/1002/342

Still selling them cheap as can be and still dont have a website. If u check the last couple posts from me there you can see the deal I'm offering. It's a guarantee of satisfaction at a very low price...if u get a set and decide aluminum slide fittings and aluminum shafts aren't intended for robust mechanical parts and you're not satisfied I'll give you s set of the all steel with pressed bearings and N45sh magnets that do 300f for the same cost. Check it out. If I'd been in the market to buy hub motors two years ago I'd have jumped at that. All steel and pressed bearings is how things are meant to be if you want them to last. Sadly my aluminum shaft and slide fitting prototype motors with "retaining fluid" to simulate s press fitting never had a my issues so I ordered 120 motors in the same material. I ride the aluminum version now. That crappy video you can hear a rattling and it's the sound of slide fitted bearings. Luckily the rattle is the bearing to steel connection and not going to deform the aluminum shaft and maybe it never will but it's not how mechanical parts that take as much load as a skate wheel should be made. I will move on to the steel which are being made now and for now a bit of rattle. A bit heavier but so much better in so many ways. You will be able to throw your board when you get upset the kick flip didn't work.

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » May 16, 2016 8:13 pm

All the rubber I sent u sucks. I'll send u better rubber. The slow cure Troy made are back on after trying a couple of the stuff I made. None of it even the 90duro lasts. The slow cure stuff on the other hand is still flawless and tight. I've got a pair in 83 and 90 and they're both good. I like the 83 and they're holding up great. ill,cook hem so more racing up hills. If your wheels are getting loose be careful. I just went down, my fears of losing my power (from a loose battery) while going down steep busy roads. oak st downtown. I got two steps down running and went over and ended in an elbow, palms, hip slide. No scratches to the helmet. If I'd gotten a boosted I wouldn't be having these problems. But then I wouldn't be able to do oak st. DIY boards are the best.

Pylonflyer
10 mW
10 mW

Post by Pylonflyer » May 20, 2016 3:13 pm

I'm bummed the faster cure material isn't doing as well as you hoped, but I've always stressed testing before jumping in and doing production. Still, if you're getting 100miles or so as you mentioned, that's not shabby. I always make the analogy of 5-minute epoxy, there is a reason it's not as strong and tough as 30-minute epoxy; laws of chemistry. But, I'll be running my wheels soon of the faster cure material as well to see how a casual rider fairs with regard to wear characteristics. Crossing my fingers my VESCs will ship soon. I'm chomping at the bit to go riding, and I have San Francisco worthy hills right in my neighborhood. The double-motor braking will be very much appreciated from my attempts with my other e-board and skipping belt teeth as I tried to keep below terminal velocity.

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Jun 08, 2016 8:36 pm

I just tried some other epoxy and then spent a long time trying to get it out as it was too thick to screw the axle in. The only epoxy that I recommend using is the Omega 100 thermal epoxy and then heating it to 120. The it's like water almost and you can put it in the hole and screw down into it.

And I found a simple threading g tool at the skate shop works fine for further threading the two threads some axles require. Don't know what the machine shop was doing to make it so hard. It's easy with simply the rethreading tool.

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Jun 25, 2016 2:06 pm

i made a website finally. a work in progress

steelhubs.com

Hummina Shadeeba
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Aug 01, 2016 1:28 pm

The quest continues to get the most durable and cheapest thing made in an 80mm (kegel wheel) diameter. I've changed the design to two fat bearings instead of having one smaller and I'm really excited to be doing double the length! so same kegel diameter at 80mm but twice as long. With 2x the length it fits 3x the stator and one motor will be more than enough for almost anyone. It's silly making motors when one isn't powerful enough and you need two. One goofy long wheel off the side! I think it's gunna look cool.
If ur interested in these please pm me as I'm always broke and trying to get one or two more people who would be interested in getting one of the prototypes. I have a feeling they will require me getting 4 minimum and I only want one. I'll know pricing in a day or two. Ud get them for cost.