Hey everyone, time for another project
I got hold of a cheap MBS Pro 12 Jeremey Leafe edition and so naturally - wanted to make it electric! It has nice Matrix Lite channel trucks - the ones with the brake adapter threaded hole.
My disclaimer...I am not an engineer, I have no previous metal work experience, no fancy tools, and not much natural skill with dirty/hands-on work...but I love to try
My previous builds have been using kits, or calling in favours, and this time I wanted to do it all myself.
Hopefully this thread will inspire people like me to give it a go, and people will be generous in their comments and won't bitch on me for making a conversion that looks like my dog chewed it
So - the donor board and trucks:
I was very inspired by these two builds, I suggest you check them out as well!
vlaca2 - MBS Pro 12 (exact same board!) - great low-tech solution
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 35&t=68710
nowind - Trampa - nice clamping system
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 0&start=25
Because of my low skill set, I'm attempting a low-tech solution! I was worried about making an adaptor plate for the MBS wheels, so I decided to get a big enough sprocket that didn't require an adaptor plate:
- I went for a 50 tooth platewheel sprocket, because it had a big enough diameter to span across the exisiting bolts that hold the MBS wheel together
- I went for a 20 tooth pulley, to give me a 2.5/1 ratio
- ISO 08B1 chain - 6mm pitch
- On 6S that should give me just under 20mph real world top speed
Here's how the mounted sprocket turned out. I basically replaced the hex bolts that hold the wheel together with longer ones, and used nuts as spacers.
I wanted to try some metal work, so I went for the clamp style mount. I found some 6mm 6082 aluminium on ebay about the right size and started drilling holes in it
I used the hardware from my motor to get the holes in the right place...and then my goldfish chewed the hole in the middle for the trucks
The square hole was carefully cut to fit really snug against the trucks The rounded parts are where I drilled a hole to get my hacksaw blade into the metal, then I could cut corner to corner. I also drilled a bevel into the motor bolt holes so that the heads sank lower into the plate. I then shelled out for a tap and die set to thread some holes, cut across the square cutout, and went for it....here's how that turned out:
I made a mistake here, I should've drilled down through the sides of the bracket before I cut across because it came out a bit wonky!! But close enough! I must find some hex bolts to replace those screw head bolts....
Putting it together
Things seem to be going quite well, and the chain looks like it aligns OK so it was time to break the chain and put it on. I used a simple nut and flattened screw to bash out a pin on the chain. Just rest the link on top of the nut and drive that pin out. I did a practice run first and learnt a few lessons. After that - it went well and the chain fits nicely:
So here's the hardware all together. The wheel, chain and motor run pretty smoothly by hand. Will try and power it up gently on the bench and see what wobbles!
I'll put some electronics near this and spin up that motor. I'm sure it will reveal problems and issues. If it all looks good then it could be close to riding off into the sunset with a big EV grin