Problem with E-Twow Booster - help?

Lightweight / Folding / Portable EVs - seats optional
Luther Blissett
10 mW
10 mW

Problem with E-Twow Booster - help?

Post by Luther Blissett » Apr 29, 2015 11:52 am

So, I have done over 300 miles on my E-Twow Booster, and it's been a blast. The dog loves running with me!

But, today it has developed a problem. When I switch it on and try to accelerate, the motor either works in a stop-start way, or sometimes doesn't move at all, and instead just makes a grinding noise (like maybe a clutch slipping or something?) before turning itself off. [UPDATE: Now it just doesn't move at all, only making a noise before switching off.]

I am on the verge of removing the front wheel (motor) and trying to take it apart to inspect the internal workings. Just thought I'd post here first though in case anyone is an expert on servicing these things. I guess it could also be a problem with the control unit (I know motors can make strange noises if power is fed to them in a very jerky way).

Is the motor used in any other type of vehicles I wonder? Is it expensive to replace/overhaul?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

2nd EDIT: Turns out I had two problems, one of which I have solved... Two little Allen bolts had come lose, and had undone themselves such that they were high enough to touch the controller circuit board, and cause it to turn off (presumably as an act of self-protection to avoid a short circuit).

I have since tightened them down and thread locked them in place.

Now it doesn't turn itself off any more, but I still seem to have something like a badly slipping clutch (although to be honest I have no idea even these motors even contain a clutch!). Basically I can crawl along at 2mph while the motor makes a horrible sound. :/
Last edited by Luther Blissett on Apr 29, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luther Blissett
10 mW
10 mW

Re: Problem with E-Twow Booster - help?

Post by Luther Blissett » Apr 29, 2015 2:46 pm

Guys, thank you so much for your fast and relevant replies. I've learnt a lot from this thread! :)

Turns out that my problem was being caused by an intermittent connection between two ends of a wire that had almost completely broken, due to being whipped about too much through steering left and right quickly (weaving between predestrians while attached to a running husky isn't so simple). :)

I soldered a wire bridge between the ends, and now everything is fine.

Now that the weather is nice, I will try to get some good pictures and start a "Pimp your E-Twows" thread. :lol:

Luther Blissett
10 mW
10 mW

Post by Luther Blissett » May 03, 2015 7:01 am

Hey yeah, those guys know how to pimp a ride for sure! 8)

...On a more serious note, by coincidence the scooter developed another fault yesterday, this time a potentially lethal One! :shock:

Basically the spring on the fold-down mechanism had become weak, and while flying down the pavement at top speed, the catch decided to work itself upwards, and the scooter collapsed on me. Amazing, through a combination of luck and ninja moves I escaped injury, and the scooter only required one of the bar ends being reattached.

Turns out that an Allen key with some tape around it (to ensure a tight fit) is enough to secure the catch. There's a hole above the catch, and you can slide anything metal in there to act as a kind of cotter pin, whence your scooter will no longer try to kill you. Just thought I'd mention... :|

scoot-e
1 kW
1 kW

Post by scoot-e » May 03, 2015 12:53 pm

Yeah, I was told that's a design flaw in the folding mechanism and is being updated possibly for a new model coming later this year...

It's a neat design in theory with the simple little red hinge button/switch folding the scooter with just a press of your foot but it can accidently be activated while riding (since one's feet are right up against the lever or near it while riding) and when the spring gets loose among other reasons...

Just make sure it's fully locked into position before riding and don't ride if the spring is loose

Luther Blissett
10 mW
10 mW

Post by Luther Blissett » May 04, 2015 8:30 am

scoot-e wrote:Just make sure it's fully locked into position before riding and don't ride if the spring is loose
I will now NEVER use mine without a cotter pin in place. Really - wiping out at 30kph is no fun.

bapo
1 µW
1 µW

Post by bapo » Apr 05, 2017 7:02 am

Can you please share where abouts on the scooter the circuit board you mentioned is located.
I'm having a similar problem with mine and cannot find the board. I've taken the panel where the charge pin is located but can't seem to see a board underneath.

north
1 mW
1 mW

Post by north » Apr 05, 2017 9:20 am

Under the display. It is the screws beside the display you should remove.

tung256
100 W
100 W

Post by tung256 » Dec 22, 2017 1:52 pm

hello, my scooter is making that exact grinding and stop and go or slowing down.
could you please do a video or take pictures of where i need to fix?
i read your description but very hard for me to visualize where they are. thanks so much!

edit. never mind, i found a cable cut and will post in a new thread....