My first electric longboard

khg_rap

1 µW
A few months ago I stumbled upon this discussion board and soon became interested in converting my longboard from foot power to electric. I spent several hours perusing various threads here for ideas on components, enclosures, etc. Thanks to everyone here for all the great ideas. This is my first post and just wanted to share pictures of my (first) board.

Deck: Koastal Roadrunner 3
Trucks: Dart Tracker 219mm
Wheels: Orangatang
Motor: Tacon Bigfoot 245kv 63mm
Mounting bracket: Made by me from 1/4" aluminum
ESC: Flier single 2-7s
Receiver: Wiiceiver and Kama remote
Batteries: LiPo Zippy 2x 3s 8,000mah in series
Drive: 18t, 36t, 5mm HTD belt
Enclosure: Made by me from 1/4", 1/16" and 1/32" Garolite. Box is about 1 1/8" deep by 12" long and 7 1/2" wide.
Other misc: 24v illuminated power button, 24v 20a relay, 9 pin aviation connector for balance charging, all stainless hardware, rubber mounts to isolate electronics from minor vibrations and compensate for deck concavity.

It's run me up to 26mph on a fresh charge and can take me about 8-10 miles.

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

@sl33py - Thanks. I used a Hella 24v 20a relay for the power switch. Haven't had any spark issues yet. The relay is a $7 part, so I suppose I'll just replace it if the contacts go bad at some point. Not sure what to do about spark suppression - any ideas?

For the wheel gear, I don't have any great pictures, but I've included a few below anyway. I started with a timing bet pulley from bbman.com (part number 44-5M09-6A4). I then over bored the center to fit over the truck hanger (I also shaped the hanger a bit), and drilled and tapped holes to accept the 5 screws that fasten it to the wheel. The pulley has a shoulder that fits nicely against the Orangatang hub.

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

I think you might find your wheel pulley wobbling or coming loose without a retainer on the front of the wheel.

@mccloed - thanks. I'm really happy with the motor.
@psychotiller - thanks. The screw heads are partially buried in the hub and it seems to be rock solid for now. I'll keep an eye on it though.

psychotiller said:
I think you might find your wheel pulley wobbling or coming loose without a retainer on the front of the wheel.

At the risk of reviving an old, antiquated thread, I finally got around to making a retainer for the drive wheel. The screws were working fine as they were sans retainer, but I got around to building a CNC machine and thought this may be a good little project. I used 3/8" 6061 aluminum. The nubs on the back side fit inside every other hole in the orangatang wheel to keep everything locked in place; and the rear side of the retainer is curved to match the dished wheel hub. Happy to share my CAD and CAM files if anyone is interested.

Note: Pictures below. I'm trying something new...please let me know if they don't appear.

VtvEQyR.jpg

TYmFQN4.jpg

vh10hqp.jpg

eShzPBb.jpg

Never mind. Embedded pics didn't work for me. Now attached...

Attachments

• ESK1.jpeg
    ESK1.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 817
  • ESK2.jpeg
    ESK2.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 620
  • ESK4.jpeg
    ESK4.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 620
Back