First Electric Skateboard Build

nickkapoor

10 mW
I am currently in the process of designing my first electric longboard and was wondering if you guys could give some input on my current parts list.

Parts:
Battery:Enertion S.P.A.C.E cell
Deck:Loaded Truncated Tesseract
Motor:CarveON dual Hub motor
Esc:Alien 150 amp dual esc or dual vesc depending on whichever is easier to setup tbh
Receiver: Not really sure, was debating on either the wiiceiver but an open to anything

Also some tips on an enclosure for the space cell and the esc would be great!

chaka said:
That battery pack isn't compatible with hub motors, I wouldn't go higher than 6s for your battery system if you are using pediglides hubs.
Oh Thanks. Any 6s configs you recommend for the hubs that would give me similar range.

chaka said:
A 6s system with over 12,000mAh of capacity will give you about the same range.

edit: what kind of range are you looking for and at what speed?
Looking for at least a 10-15 mile range and a 45 kmph top speed.

Would something like this do? http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/batteries/alien-6s-16000mah-35c-lipo-battery-flat-configuration-2/

chaka said:
At 30kph you will get about 10 miles/16 kilometers on pack this size, at 45kph your watt usage nearly doubles due to wind resistance so you will see maybe 8 miles/12 kilometers or less. If you ride conservatively you might get 15 miles out of the pack.
How about 3 or 4 or these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16228 arranged in parallel. Would that be a better option?

Sorry for all of the nooby questions, new to the electric skateboard scene.

chaka said:
That battery pack isn't compatible with hub motors, I wouldn't go higher than 6s for your battery system if you are using pediglides hubs.

Why isn't it compatible? Not enough amps? I know there are users on here running it in that configuration.

Why only 6s, speed? amp draw because of the gearing?

Just curious your thoughts.

chaka said:

Actually, going higher than 6s is better. It's gives an even smoother start and does not bog down going uphill right away. Things get cooler too because of lower amps. I tried 12s briefly with those Flier ESCs and the start was like riding a subway train. It just pulls until you can't hold on anymore. It's ridiculously fast, was going 27mph before halfway of the stick, but that doesnt mean you have to go all out all the time. You get to your desired speed right away and just stay there, or coast at 20mph. :mrgreen:

OP, here's my ideal setup for the moment before I dive into the VESC world:

Battery: Any 8s Alien Power Pack. These have BMS already and can put out continuous 80a with a burst of 150a, they come with chargers too. Too bad they are all out of stock.

ESC: Castle Mamba XL2 or EZrun Max 6. These are 8s capable. Or if you have the time, which I dont at the moment, just get VESC and be done with it. You can even use higher voltage later.

Remote: For me, just gt2b. I dont want to second-guess my connection when I'm approaching an intersection at 25mph and the light just turns red.

Check this thread if you havent already: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=72923

appleman, djodom and I are all using 6s lipo and getting the results we want. Just imagine if we use higher voltage.

Pediglide said:
chaka said:

Actually, going higher than 6s is better. It's gives an even smoother start and does not bog down going uphill right away. Things get cooler too because of lower amps. I tried 12s briefly with those Flier ESCs and the start was like riding a subway train. It just pulls until you can't hold on anymore. It's ridiculously fast, was going 27mph before halfway of the stick, but that doesnt mean you have to go all out all the time. You get to your desired speed right away and just stay there, or coast at 20mph. :mrgreen:

Battery: Any 8s Alien Power Pack. These have BMS already and can put out continuous 80a with a burst of 150a, they come with chargers too. Too bad they are all out of stock.

ESC: Castle Mamba XL2 or EZrun Max 6. These are 8s capable. Or if you have the time, which I dont at the moment, just get VESC and be done with it. You can even use higher voltage later.

Remote: For me, just gt2b. I dont want to second-guess my connection when I'm approaching an intersection at 25mph and the light just turns red.

Check this thread if you havent already: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=72923

appleman, djodom and I are all using 6s lipo and getting the results we want. Just imagine if we use higher voltage.

Thanks so much for your input, i am hesitant about the alien 8s packs because they are only 8000 mah, do you think i will get much milage out of this. Here is a link for the pack:http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/batteries/alien-8s-8000mah-35c-lipo-battery-flat-configuration/

8S 8000mah is 236.8wh while 6s 10000mah is 222wh, so 8s has more power and will give you more range if you keep the speed the same as the 6s.

I'm y sure you can get at least 10 miles from that battery pack you linked from Alien, unless you're going 30mph 90% of the time. But I believe that does not have a BMS. Might just be cheaper getting from Hobbyking.

I am planning to build a similar set up. One of the members elkick has built one with CarvOn hubmotors and Enertion SPACE cell.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=72554

Pediglide said:
chaka said:

The problem is the 60 amp overcurrent protection circuit will cut out every time you get a little heavy on the throttle
edit: guess the overcurrent protection would act as a governor too! probably keep the speed under 30 mph. :lol:

chaka said:

The problem is the 60 amp overcurrent protection circuit will cut out every time you get a little heavy on the throttle
edit: guess the overcurrent protection would act as a governor too! probably keep the speed under 30 mph. :lol:

chaka, you're talking about the space cell right? I agree, 60A is too low for the hub motors. But the low kv hub motors really shine when you pair them with higher voltage. They will have insane top speeds because of the absence of gearing, but that doesn't mean you need to reach it.

Yeah Pediglide, I was referring to the space cell. I've been working on a battery system for a dual motor configuration with tall gearing using two BMS modules. Basically each motor would have its own battery pack/protection circuit. Its the easiest way for us to get the max amperage we want with a BMS/PCM.

I hear ya'. It does get addicting once you gone past 30mph and lived, lol. Like driving a supercar, you dont always have to drive like you stole it, but you know you can if you want to. :mrgreen:

I've though about independent systems too, just worried that you may over-work one system than the other without knowing it. I guess LV alarms and dual gauges can take care of that. Really curious what you come up with.

nickkapoor said:
How about 3 or 4 or these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16228 arranged in parallel. Would that be a better option?

Dont worry about the questions, everyones cool here in ES about it. We actually think that there's not enough people here sometimes.

4 of those batteries you linked will give you 32000mah. At 6s we get 1 mile per 1 ah (1000mah), so 4 of those packs will get you 32 miles.

There is no nooby question when you are diy, especially because few people have knowledge in all domains we faced in electric longboard projects.

And hey! In fact we all faced the fear to put money in our first project starting from zero. Nobody want to make a mistake.

chaka said:
edit: the overcurrent protection would act as a governor too! probably keep the speed under 30 mph. :lol:

Strange, I'm using the Enertion battery with Pediglides hub motors on a daily basis for a while now and never experienced any of those problems you are mentioning in this thread. Also, I have a 7s/10Ah Alien setup which I'm using with the hub motors and I'm able to compare it with the Enertion Cell. No issues at all with both of them, the 10s setup is more powerful though.

Did you test it yourself in that config?

Vulthor said:

There is no nooby question when you are diy, especially because few people have knowledge in all domains we faced in electric longboard projects.

And hey! In fact we all faced the fear to put money in our first project starting from zero. Nobody want to make a mistake.

Thanks so much for all the help guys!

elkick said:
chaka said:
edit: the overcurrent protection would act as a governor too! probably keep the speed under 30 mph. :lol:

Strange, I'm using the Enertion battery with Pediglides hub motors on a daily basis for a while now and never experienced any of those problems you are mentioning in this thread. Also, I have a 7s/10Ah Alien setup which I'm using with the hub motors and I'm able to compare it with the Enertion Cell. No issues at all with both of them, the 10s setup is more powerful though.

How much range can you get with the space cell?

elkick said:
chaka said:

Yes I have tested a 10s system and measured watt usage and max amperage myself. If you ride conservatively you will likely stay under the 60 amp limit.

I'm guessing you are using a wiiceiver with throttle ramping otherwise you would be getting huge current spikes when accelerating hard.

Pediglide said:
I hear ya'. It does get addicting once you gone past 30mph and lived, lol. Like driving a supercar, you dont always have to drive like you stole it, but you know you can if you want to. :mrgreen:

I've though about independent systems too, just worried that you may over-work one system than the other without knowing it. I guess LV alarms and dual gauges can take care of that. Really curious what you come up with.

No reason why we couldn’t link the two systems in parallel after the BMS circuits... or maybe there is. I'll have to test it and find out. :wink:

I am going to go with dual vescs and two of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16228 in parallel. Any solutions for a power button and voltmeter you guys recommend? Also anything else you recommend to prevent error?

Back