Motor just got fried, ESC probably followed it

Sharkface

1 mW
Hello all!

This forum has a lot of great info on it so I am trying to get out of this horrible N00B status I have through here. Pretty sure I just fried my motor and the controller with it, was wondering if anybody had any experience with what might have happened here.

First the setup I have(had):
Torqueboard 12s esc
Turnigy aerodrive 149kv
Torqueboard motor mount and drive system

I was taking off and after getting enough speed in my push I pulled the trigger to give it some go. Notice that nothing was happening. Tried pulling the trigger for some breaks, nothing there either. So I got off the board and thats when it started making that awful wretched noise it makes when it torque locks. I wasn't pulling the trigger and trying to pul the trigger to try and get it to knock that crap off got me nowhere. Before I could hit that power button I hear a pop and a crack. My motor no longer spins in a free manner. Its like there is putty in the bearings. The controller also smells like death.

Anybody got any pro tips on what I screwed up here? Do you need more info, i tried to keep this short.....

Using the GT2B.

I had it programmed wonderfully and it did great on the ride home from the Train. It was certainly not shorted to my knowledge since it was working before, but i did swap out the batteries just before this happened. Nothing caught on fire, I believe that the cut off switch ate most of the pain before anything could short out too hard. The solder on it is melted.

post photos!

Everybody does it once or twice.

Welcome to ES :)

when your board was working did the motor get hot often?

what battery voltage?
what wheel diameter?
what motor pulley & wheel pulley size?
What is your body weight?

I will get some pictures posted ASAP!

onloop said:
when your board was working did the motor get hot often?
--it did indeed get hot, Looking back I didnt watch over this too hard, so sounds like thats a spot to improve at.

onloop said:
what battery voltage?
--12s LiPo
onloop said:
what wheel diameter?
--83mm
onloop said:
what motor pulley & wheel pulley size?
--I have a 12 tooth motor pulley and a 36 tooth wheel pulley
onloop said:
What is your body weight?
--I should be around 160lbs

Pediglide said:
Unplug the motor from the ESC, making sure the motor connectors are not touching each other. Does the motor still not spin freely?
Shes def giving off the feels of being fried on the inside, everything is taken apart currently. Ill see if i can get a video going as well as those pictures

If your setup got hot.. Something is wrong..

A 63mm motor shouldn't get hot especially if your riding on just flat ground.

Was your pulley belt too tight?

As for your ESC, there's warranty. You can return your ESC and I can replace it.

drive train configuration seems fine!

was the belt rubbing?
did something get inside the motor?
maybe the phase wires shorted? sometimes the wires on those motors rub and wear the thin insulation down and cause shorts.

onloop said:
was the belt rubbing?
did something get inside the motor?
maybe the phase wires shorted? sometimes the wires on those motors rub and wear the thin insulation down and cause shorts.

I have rebuilt this board a few times actually as there was always something I wanted to tweak, so this was the first time the belt was not rubbing on the wheel in any way. It took a lot of screwing/unscrewing. The belt has never rubbed on the motor pulley but I did see the first signs of wear and tear from rubbing on that wheel.
Not sure if something got inside the motor, but not really seeing/hearing anything.
This was the first configuration in which i was dumb and forgot to wrap those phase wires with electrical tape.

torqueboards said:
If your setup got hot.. Something is wrong..
A 63mm motor shouldn't get hot especially if your riding on just flat ground.
Was your pulley belt too tight?
As for your ESC, there's warranty. You can return your ESC and I can replace it.

The pulley belt could have been to tight but I am 50/50 on that. There was certainly a bit of play to it and the belts and pulleys are the only thing I'm semi familiar with on this project.
How can I get in touch with you to get it replaced? and does the cutoff switch have a warranty as well?

EDIT: ESC is def fried. plugging 2 3S batterys left over from airsoft gave me a nice spark and fried terminal like I had just shorted everything out. Made sure to plug those in a series as this ESC is listed as a 5-12S ESC. Didn't have the electrical cut off switch in the mix for that test as the solder on it is def melted. The batteries had gotten drained to low a couple of times and thats why they were out of rotation, but they were not dead/busted batteries. Well I mean now they are, but they were not what caused the short a couple of moments ago.

Back