Momentary switch instead of RC?

Hey guys. I was wondering why not use momentary switch/push buttons mounted on the board to accelerate and maybe even brake? I don't know how to program arduinos, but I think it'll be easy to design.
It'll be placed next to the foot. Instead of kicking the ground to push, you'll step on the momentary switch. Similar way "hoverboards"/hands free segway works.
Here's a list of good and possible difficulties you might face.
Good:
-don't have to carry a large transmitter
-doesnt have to charge the transmitter
-mimics kicking
Bad:
-people have different stance/ride preference (regular, goofy, mongo) this means that the button placement on the board will be hard to determine
-if you use your heel instead of front part of your feet, it'll put more body weight on the button which may break it

Possible solutions for the issues:
Maybe have different holes drilled on the board. Since the buttons are threaded and panel mounted, it can be removed and placed in a different hole easily.

Personally I do not see this as a viable solution.
I move my feet around a lot depending on speed, slope and manoeuvering around obstacles. (mostly people)
Z boards has foot switches but they have not really caught on as much as other boards.
Sure one does not have a controller in the hand but you are swapping one negative for another I fear.
But everyone to their own, build one and try. :)

Yeah I was thinking about that. I'm afraid that if I lose balance, I'll accidentally step on it and make the board run even faster.
But I believe there'll be a way to prevent that. Maybe once you get used to it or maybe its only for cruising like 5-10mph. Like a hoverboard:eboard hybrid.

What about pressure sensing pads @ the front and back? Regardless of how they are used, digital controls (full or nothing) seem like a bad idea. If you use a VESC you don't need to program anything to use a wireless nun chuck with it.

Yeah this would be hard. I also thought of only using the motor for cruising. You have to kick star then step on it to gain speed. By stepping on the bottom. Or it could like start slow then gain speed as long as you hold it.

It's like a skateboard yeah, but it's an idea for ultimate portability.

Back