Excel spreadsheet for easy calculations (E-Skateboard)!

piyiotisk

10 mW
Hello guys I make an Excel spreadsheet in order to calculate the correct motor/batteries/motor pulleys/ratio etc.
So if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Also, any recommendations are welcome.

ATTENTION Change only the orange cells
As Vedder said on his blog post more 50-60 size outrunners have 14 poles so try to choose a motor to keep the Motor Speed (rpm) at 8600.
http://vedder.se/2014/10/chosing-the-right-bldc-motor-and-battery-setup-for-an-electric-skateboard/

OIdU9vi.png

Attachments

• electric_longboard.xls
    22.5 KB · Views: 600
Ender wiggin said:
Not sure I put everything i could think of that was usefull. I would like it to have a more accurate power estimation but I am kinda at an end of the road with that. i would need more raw and accurate data to make it any better. I could put a belt/chain length calculator. Not really sure what else.

calculator for the diameter of pulleys, would be nice, also.

Can you put it in the Google sheets?

I have done Version 1.2. I have added the pulley calculator and some more calculations for power and battery.

Let me know if I missed anything or if any of the calculations are off. I made this the way it made sense to me but if there is a better format I can change it. Basically I want to make sure the average user can make sense of it. There are drop down menus for input units. For example if you have the Ah instead of the mAh you can pick that option in the drop down menu.

Change log
-Different Battery types
-Units drop down menus (in , mm , lb-ft , N-m, ah, mah , kah, mph, kph, g, kg, lb)
-Power Density
-Watt hours / Joules
-Added more power calculations of an induction 3 phase motor.
-Torque Calculator (no power factor- If it had the power factor it would be more accurate)
-Drive Belt length( based on http://www.electricscooterparts.com)
-Added Kilometer to range. Also input can be MPH or KPH

nJVGaQn.jpg

Future Change log
-Different units of Resistance
-Time to charge on recommended c rating.
-Different units of power (maybe)
-Add more units of torque (maybe)

Keep in mind I did try to do all the research to make sure my calculations are the most correct but...

I still consider this Napkin Math ( A General Estimation)

Let me know what you think. Any input or feature request are much appreciated. Alos I can answer any question of why I set it up the way I did.

Google sheets Link (works) Electric Vehicle V1.2 test.xls

Openoffice calc (What I used and it is free)

Excel (Saved to this format in Openoffice calc, may not all be right)

Attachments

• electric_Vehicle_V1.2ods.xls
    20 KB · Views: 271
I have done Version 1.6 I have added the graphs for power vs torque and a little more.

Some thing to note at the moment the graphs do not factor in the gear ratios. Also the efficiency on the graphs is not yet very accurate
Let me know if I messed up the calculations.

Change log
-Correct the calculations for power
-added Graphs for Power vs Speed
-added Graphs for Power vs toque
-added Ke ,Kt,Km values
-added a little more input parameters
-added charge time in hours
-added work in progress torque calculator for hills and body wait.

cV0rDtp.png

Image Album: http://imgur.com/a/Pudno

Future Change log
-Different units of Resistance (maybe still)
-Different units of power (maybe)
-Add more units of torque (maybe)
-incorporate gear ratio in Power and torque calculations
-correct the efficiency for power loss of the motor on graphs
-Esk8 Calculator - implement on a web site
- add a power to weight ratio
- make a comparison spreadsheet

I could be wrong with these equations so make sure you know what you are doing when looking at the spread sheet.

STILL consider this Napkin Math ( A General Estimation)

Let me know what you think. Any input or feature request are much appreciated. Also I can answer any question of why I set it up the way I did.

Rest of the work was done just in Google sheets:
Google sheets Link (works) Electric Vehicle V1.6 Public

The google sheet is in a view only format so to download the sheet follow the instructions below.

In the top right hand corner under file there will be an option to add to drive. This way you have your own copy in google drive.

Or

Also in the top right hand corner under file there will be an option you can download it as: and what every file format you like.

Hope this helps!

Back