Working on Custom Carbon Fiber Deck

Hi guys,

Please tell me what you think. Would care to hear your opinions and suggestions.

I am more thinking of the board on the right side. The board is 39.5" and 9.75" width.

1-testing-carbon-fiber-electric-skateboard-deck.jpg

I've also redesigned my current bolt on to be with M6 bolts.. However, in the process of re-designing a complete carbon fiber board I decided to build from the ground up. I realize for the motor mounts that I never planned on using a belt cover, motor pulley cover or any motor protective plate. In the end, for myself they just add to more complication, more weight, more cost. Very simple and easy to build is a better option. Here is picture of the dual rear with 12mm pulleys.

2-carbon-electric-skateboard-top-view.jpg

Here is a photo of the top of the deck with the battery pack. It's a 10S3P pack. I may change to 12S3P but it tends to run bigger but I think 10S is ok since it's cheaper, flatter and not as long.

3-electric-skateboard-carbon-fiber-side-view.jpg

For the height of the deck, I wanted a drop through so it's real low to the ground.

4-electric-carbon-fiber-skateboard-dual-rear-motor-mounts-rear.jpg

5-small-carbon-fiber-electric-skate-deck.jpg

Personally, I also want a mini deck.. This one is 30" long.

Mini - Style 1
6-small-carbon-fiber-electric-skateboard-style2.jpg

8-electric-skateboard-carbon-fiber-style2-sideview.jpg

Mini - Style 2 (Jet Board)
7-electric-skate-deck-carbon-fiber-style2-small.jpg

What do you guy's think?

The idea for the build is 10S3P, Dual VESC, 6355 230KV (I like the faster motors, they go 20-25% inclines much easier), 12mm belt setup.

Hi Torqueboards
Designing boards is always going to be a difficult thing as it is such a personal thing, everyone has their own individual tastes.
Me, for instance, I like the longboard design but would not go for the drop-through. I just hate the holes is the deck as I think they are really ugly and ruin a nice deck design.
Others will like the fact that it gets a lower profile.
I have never much liked the broad shorter boards, can be quite funky I suppose but not my cup of tea.
I am sure the next one will rave how cool he finds them though. :D

Hehe, you are quite right. Can't stop you from trying though, that's the spirit. :D
My favorite board so far is this one:
http://lushlongboards.com/symbian-prog-rock/

There was another I saw on this forum, a bloke building an off-road board, damned if I can remember what the title was - I shall have a look.
Ah, found it:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=75687
Couple of posts down, Kaly posted a picture of a lovely wooden board.
Bit different and I can appreciate others not liking it but I must say I think it is a cracker.

Sorry I don't know how to do pretty renderings yet but since you have the chance to make it out of carbon, why not make it as smooth as it is slim ? Here is a suggestion I made for you :

random_e_longboard_drop_through_by_hypnos_de_tolbiac-d9rz289.png

You'd need to shorten the side with the motor mounts so you get space to actually mount them, that's all I guess. :wink:

Hey Torque, That deck is almost the same as my favorite deck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151579776115?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks good to me!

@Vanarian - Nice example. I'll try and see if I can do so. I'd have to make the rest of the deck a bit bigger to feather it out. It also limits the clearance area for the motors if using belt drive but I'll see what I can do. I do like your setup :)

I'll post more photos when I get more guys.

Thanks I'm glad you like it :) Well I don't know the exact width and thickness of your battery pack and ESC but I did start with the board sizes you gave in your first post.

You're right there is still the issue for the motor mounts but if you try asymmetrical box instead of the symmetrical one I made you could end with a win win!

I like that you are going for a mini deck. I have been using one for 6+ months now. It is the Cigar 31 from Bustin. I would be interested if it was exactly like this. I run the 97mm ABEC Flywheels and have never gotten wheel bite. Also, it is short enough that it doesn't hit the ground when walking if you are holding it by the front truck.

cplt_cig31_sub_gray-2.jpg

Also, I would prefer that it is not drop through unless it is like the evolve deck where the trucks are level with the top of the board. The kicktail was pretty handy too but the board was way too long to be convenient (45").

FOTO2213-Edit.jpg

Looking nice torque. There are many pro's and con's for each aspect, you seem to have considered most of them already.

Do you know how the finer details will go? Such as the rails, full wraparound, plugs/switches, materials?

I've done a few boards similar to this, heaps of regular decks and various custom composite prototyping for clients, so let me know if you need someone to prototype it for you before you go full production.

Hey guys.. Checkout this new one.. I like this style lol

Here's a few new photos of what I'm thinking about...

2016-03-07-12_27_10-1-SKATE-BOARD-39.5inch-ASSY..PDF-Adobe-Reader.png

2016-03-07-12_25_38-9-CARBON-FIBRE-SKATE-BOARD-39.5inch-050316.PDF-Adobe-Reader.png

I plan on making a wider truck as well. Looking at perhaps 200mm with extended axles.
15mm pulleys/belts. Dual Rear 6355. Pulleys will sit on a bearing.

It will be pretty low to the ground about 3.90" from the ground on 90mm wheels.

Now that one I really do like. Looks like a nice concave which I prefer.
Wider trucks would be nice too. I prefer my Paris 195mm to the standard Caliber.

I really like this one! When it will be available? Please do keep the price reasonably low. The deck from Enertion is extremaly pricy:(

appelton said:
I really like this one! When it will be available? Please do keep the price reasonably low. The deck from Enertion is extremaly pricy:(

i asked on his site and he said mount (V4) should be available by the end of march/start of April. the board he says in the next few months and since he has a render all he needs to do is get someone that will make it.

so ima guess may 11th - june 8th for the board.

what i really want to see is this new mount, he said something like its stupid easy to mount so i'm intrigued.

We are working on getting it done ASAP but of course it takes time.

@appleton - I doubt we'll be able to change the price much. It is a custom made carbon fiber deck and a CF deck without an enclosure is practically the same price.

We will have a wooden deck with an enclosure however.

but the motor mounts will hit unless you add a recess for them. the evolve has the motor off the back and still has a recess. maybe do a drop-thru with a super snub nose so the motor can sit off the front or back.

i think a recess under the board would be nice though and add a groove for the foot.

But there would be less room under the board with a drop deck and the motor will have to sit much closer to the ground to accommodate this. Especially when turning the distance between motor and board has to be greater.

I like the latest design quite a bit! What length are you thinking?

Any chance of flush mounting the base plates like the evolve?

It's not actually dropped, it's recessed about 9mm. You can ride it as a top mount if you want too. Just stuff a few 3mm risers.

@eboostin - I actually made it recessed 9mm. It will sit similarly to a drop through or a flush mount.

Length is 39.5" and 9.75" width.

Back