Ok, just several updates.
My battery was crapping out due to a parallel cell group that was known to cut out at 7ah, as opposed to nominal 10ah, about a year ago. I think it's been worsening since then, so I replaced it. During testing, somehow the BMS screwed up and its over-amp protection wouldn't come on and the fets were getting kind of hot during use(Like smoking), Arggg.... Oh well, I reasoned, I'm only drawing 15 amps on my scooter so it shouldn't burn the fets too badly.
I ended up not testing the battery pack since it was dark at night and the robotics society meeting was tomorrow and I just *had* to show it off. So, the next day I went and during the middle of my bus ride, I found out the back tire was pretty flat - like 20 psi flat - Not so completely flat that you couldn't ride on it, but definitely a "squishy" kind of flat that really sucked energy and slowed you down tremendously. Thinking, eh, just a little more energy used than average... I went to the robotics meeting. Climbed a freaking huge 300 ft. 10% hill to get there and I didn't really "push my scooter" all the way since... well, I haven't done load testing of that magnitude, yet and I knew the motor was consuming mega-amps going only 6 mph or so. Anyways, I finally got to the meeting, blah blah, people were mildly impressed, someone said "you did good son" and then there was a cool presentation on these wirelessly communicating poet-mixing "electronic birds" performed by the department at the university that I'm currently taking a class from and aspiring to be accepted to. Anyways, the meeting ended, I took the bus down the hill and then I got off and started scooting to Fry's electronics that only laid a mile *points* that way! On the way, the scooter started to get REALLY REALLY SLOW. I thought, eh, that's odd... it must be the flat tire. Eventually I abandoned powering the scooter at all because it was getting so freaking weak and I had to walk for about .4 miles or so and I grabbed a pocket multimeter while I was Fry's and tested the battery and... oh dear, 34 volts. It's usually 42-43 volts at its cut-off lowest. I thought, yeah, I should carry my portable pump with me at all times - I could possibly mount it in part underneath the scooter, so not too much of a burden. So, I pulled the battery out of the back pack and OMG... it looked like two cells near the middle of the pack where I replaced the cells just started ballooning! They were like freaking lithium balloons! I thought maybe they were going to exploded or something given the obvious "stretch marks" on the outside. I dumped the battery out as cautiously as I could and then after awaiting a few seconds to be assured it wasn't going to explode, I measured the voltage on these two lithium cell balloons. Oh, an oh so ominous 0 volts. Bummer. Several others also went well below their typical LVC but I've successfully recharged those but I don't know what their capacity is, yet. I'm sure I'll find out.
Swearing off ping's BMS, I then sought out "individual chargers" and an LVC board. The former I bought from voltphreaks and the latter I am designing. I still need to stitch my battery together to make it operable(the balloons have been removed) and I'll be hooking up my LVC design board soon enough so to give it LVC protection. For protection, I won't be hooking up mosfets to cut off its discharge, instead I'll be using a piezo-electric buzzer to buzz me when it gets low. Right now, I haven't built the circuit and I'm not entirely sure how much noise I can expect on the control lines, but I'm basically going to have an 10 to 1 ratio on the ADC so 10mV of noise would appear as 100 mV to the detector. Not the best in the west, but as long as I give it a pretty comfortable margin from 2 volts, I should be fine.
Anyways, I just ordered two dewalt new 36 volt packs on eBay so I'll be getting that soon enough to work with! I'm thinking of using it as a "booster on demand" pack as most of the terrain I scoot on is pretty comfortable at 20 mph(i.e., sidewalks/pathways with due caution at cut-outs/"drive ways") but the occasional road way seems like it'd be safer at a higher speed(Might actually be counterproductive as... well, what would happen if my tire blew out? Would I be thrown into the opposing lane? What if someone pulled out in front of me?) and I need the current for the occasional hill. I'm sure once I get it hooked up, I'll get to learn the limits of my motor. I'm thinking of limiting the total current with the boost enabled to 50-60 amps or so(that's only 60*30=1800 watts to the motor - hopefully it'll survive) and I may need to shape the throttle curve to make the speed more adjustable. I'm thinking(Well, I've calculated it using the spread-sheet I created) this would cause my ping to give out 15 amps or so and the a123s would give 10c or 45 amps. Since I'm planning on operating at higher limited currents, it's going to be a necessity to hook up temp sensors to the motor, controller(it fell of, lol) and possibly the ping battery. Anyways, I'm projecting the a123s would provide 45 amps for roughly 6 minutes so I think it would last me, uhhh... 5-7 miles on the straight and I'm guessing somewhere around 1.5-2 miles going up hills. So, as a booster, I think it should work fine.
Also, in regards to my custom controller, I've added an SD card data logger and an LCD screen kind of like the CycleAnalyst. I'm planning on throwing up information about temps, currents and voltages and the such on the screen so I can actively monitor everything in real time. The major thing I need to do is find a water-proof housing for the LCD screen and start laying down the wires. I also want to exchange those pesky tiny RC servo connectors with a single serial cable connector and see how that works out.