DIY Trampa long 35 E-MTB | Dual VESC | Sensored EMAX GT5345

Squad

100 W
Hi, I started gathering parts for this build in December but did not have enough time to push it forward till easter, last few days I spend in my workshop and have done most of the work.
Here are technical details of this build:
2x EMAX 5345 170 KV 63mm outrunner motors
2x Ollin board company VESC
Trampa long 35 with vertigo trucks, superstar wheels and ratchet bindings
Underwater Kinetics 206 Ultrabox and 309 Drybox
So lets start with the photos:
Finished board:
CB0Rj5Vh.jpg

Bare board :D
62Zs0Zyh.jpg

As You can see 4 5000 mAh 6S turnigy lipos fit nicely in 309 Drybox case.
Xe0EiTPh.jpg

The problem with the motors was that stator and rotor was held by this round piece of aluminium with set screw, I did not like the look of it, and it would interfere with motor mount not allowing to tension the chain properly so I decided to turn new shafts, with grooves for circlips.
iOAN0xch.jpg

Here You can see the shaft getting keyway milled, I don't trust small set screws enough ;)
8rCpMnch.jpg

And final product:
QEh2Ftqh.jpg

Then I bored, keywayed, drilled and tapped sprockets to fit nicely on the motor shafts
UqjRy3Xh.jpg

After that I had to deal with how to fit all of this electronics and other stuff in this small 206 Ultrabox, it's easy to fit 2 VESCs in there, but 2x VESC + 4x 2200 uF caps + IXFN200 N07 MOSFET + 200A shunt for ampmeter circuitboard + 200A fuse + circuitboard mosfet switch for front LED light it's a bit more challenging, so I decided to mill aluminum mounting plate for all of this, which acts a radiator for VESCs lower mosfets.

xW2jDNph.jpg

352xhrIh.jpg

wns7Dr8h.jpg

Un3wqPQh.jpg

WnhOVthh.jpg

And the last, most challenging part was to mill motor mounts, I had few attempts since January, but failed every time... until this weekend. I hope Jenso from E-TOXX does not mind my strong inspiration with his design, but... It's just the best solution for this task :D
Aluminum I used is 15mm thick 7075 grade, I guess it's strong enough :p

Here are photos from manual machining process in chronological order:

DVwsYbEh.jpg

nLRG564h.jpg

NoF1Fzth.jpg

Z9kyXKHh.jpg

NK8jVjkh.jpg

oivX9bTh.jpg

b94z6bxh.jpg

MOpGY5dh.jpg

sXWAKgTh.jpg

WYqpew8h.jpg

hAGCdRNh.jpg

I'm not a machinist and the milling process took me about 20 hours...

I still have to mill 3 support braces for motor mounts.
Unfortunately I trashed 2 sprockets which I planned to use for rear wheels during machining, have ordered new ones, I need them to measure the lenght of support braces for motor mounts.

And here is front light, It's super bright and has long range, I made special mounting plate for it to not have to drill in the deck.

qcSxygPh.jpg

eegXXD8h.jpg

3rHvbyFh.jpg

Oh, and I would forget, my friend wanted to have some fun with borrowed camera so he came to my workshop and interfered in my work, wanting me to do unnecessary things, to record them (burning titanium chips was not the part of eMTB build :D )
[youtube]x0Zoch6Y9Sg[/youtube]

That's all for now, thanks for watching

9b0Exxph.jpg

Rikobonito said:
Hi ! Cool build :twisted: like your all diy process !! the vesc install is so clean :p
you prefer have 10ah on board than 2 x 6s 5ah and two others in a bagpack ?
You have spend your all setup ?
Big up from France :D

I have eight of those 6S 5000 mAh bricks, so in my backpack is gonna be another one 12S 10000 mAh pack, I hope to get decent range from this set up :twisted:

this is chirurgical ! awesome build ! that's great that Jenso has infected us all with the Trampa virus. The trampa boards are really awesome and getting them electrified unleash the power in dirt/urban tracks.

I need to find a dirt/bmx track around my home :D

congrats!

okp said:
this is chirurgical ! awesome build ! that's great that Jenso has infected us all with the Trampa virus. The trampa boards are really awesome and getting them electrified unleash the power in dirt/urban tracks.

I need to find a dirt/bmx track around my home :D

congrats!

Thanks! Can't wait to finish it, after this 3 month delay, I was watching Yours and Jenso threads and droooling all over my keyboard :D

Unfortunately, recently one cell in my vanguard build battery pack died, and I need new battery pack, will take care of this after I finish my Trampa...

torqueboards said:
Awesome work :) Not too often do you see nice CNC work anymore. I definitely got to get building on a Trampa deck. What enclosure box did you use?

You meant 100% MANUAL work, right ? :lol:

I have not ridden my Trampa yet, but I bet You'll be pleased with this board :D and to be honest I have not seen better mountainboard on the market

Squad said:
Underwater Kinetics 206 Ultrabox and 309

Hey.

Really nice work Squad, i feel honored (-;
you got all my respect for doing this work on an manual milling Machine !

Keep on building Bro.

Jenso

Thanks Jenso! It would be really easy if I had access to CNC mill :) yeah, I know that I could look for commercial place, but wanted to challenge myself. I guess like always in my case DIY way ends up more expensive than already available solutions (like Your mounts) because of wasted material, broken carbide endmills (this sucks the most), etc. But somehow, beside all the failures I do enjoy it :)

As someone who made his mount from nothing but a small drill press, some files and a dremel tool, I can appreciate the professional job. Looks indistinguishable from a proper CNC job!

Rolling_Friction said:
As someone who made his mount from nothing but a small drill press, some files and a dremel tool, I can appreciate the professional job. Looks indistinguishable from a proper CNC job!

I must clearify, that my mill is a little bigger than a regular dremel :) its something identical to grizzly g704 mill, same chinese manufacturer, just different rebranding company. So it was a bit more than drill press, dremel and files ;)

Squad said:
I have eight of those 6S 5000 mAh bricks, so in my backpack is gonna be another one 12S 10000 mAh pack, I hope to get decent range from this set up :twisted:

WOW :mrgreen: Yeeaaah like you say your range gonna be awesooome !!!

I haven't understand the firts time I read your post, but yes by manual machine :wink: Well done :!:

Good continuation & good ride !

I ordered SS411A Hall sensors today, plan to add it to my motors and use the benefits of hybrid mode VESC offers, the idea sounds great. It will be easier to mount sensors in my motors than in SK3 63mm series, because there is no fan in the motor, therefore more space for cables. Would adding temp sensor to the motors be a good idea as well?

A Temp sensor is a very good idea! You wouldn't be the first to melt the copper, ruin your magnets, epoxy coating etc.
Now its spring, in summer on steep hills this diddy part might save your motors, money and the hassle to get them replaced.
Another thing to increase the motor lifespan is a proper dust filter that can be cleaned once a while.

Frank

Hey Squad,

I was curious, how did you manage to cut such a square slot for the key way in the pinion gears? Searching comes up with some crazy tools that use a huge lever and just scrapes away at the metal, hard to justify something like this myself since I'll only be doing a few.

Excellent build BTW, very clean.

readerror67 said:
Hey Squad,

I was curious, how did you manage to cut such a square slot for the key way in the pinion gears? Searching comes up with some crazy tools that use a huge lever and just scrapes away at the metal, hard to justify something like this myself since I'll only be doing a few.

Excellent build BTW, very clean.

I made special tool for broaching, similiar to the one on the pic, insert is made from HSS, I manually operate feeds on my mill. It's actually pretty fast, effective and cheap way to do it.

product-982.jpg

chaka said:
Sweet build! Watch it with those hex bolts between the solder pads. Switch them out for some nylon hardware to be safe.

I may turn down these screws heads a bit and add heat shrink tubing. It should do the job, somehow I don't really like plastic in screws applications.

I oredered 10k thermistors to install them in my motors, they should work with VESC, right?

Update, today I installed hall sensors and termistors in both motors, had to mill stator a little to fit SS411A sensors. They're spaced 120 degrees apart. Width of sensors is 4.05 mm and the milled gap is 4 mm wide, pretty tight fit, they're glued with epoxy and secured by kapton tape, termistors are glued with thermally conductive glue, nothing should get in rotors way.

Milled stator
Muh3L9Zh.jpg

Termistor (left) and one of hall sensors (right) in place, secured by kapton.
dehjP2gh.jpg

One more hall sensor
hyzliTPh.jpg

And to reply previous question about my keyway broaching, here's my set up and DIY broaching tool (HSS insert is held from the bottom by set screw)
YPAG9grh.jpg

Here are steel chips that this tool makes :D
jUIsvTeh.jpg

I have very ambitious plan to finish my Trampa this weekend. Hope everything goes as I planned :)

Back