understanding the technical electrical side behind E-skatebo

edskate

10 mW
Hey everyone,

So I'm pretty new to making an electric longboard, but from reading though different topics I'm learning loads,

I want to understand the technical side, like knowing what batteries to use how to make a set up and wire them in. I also want to know what motors to use and something that explains about what the motor specs means and how to know which battery set up to combine them with, Also something that tells you how to work out your top speed and distance.

So i have a link that explains all about batteries:
http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

But I'm lacking something that explains about what motor to use and who to work out what battery set up to use it with. Ohh and how to work out top speed and distance,

thanks for your time guys :)

Have a look here:

Its a calculator, done by Barney. Most has been translated for english users.

http://www.elektro-skateboard.de/wiki/wissenswertes/strom-spannung-reichweite-vii

Best you can do is to go for high voltage, such as 10-12S. So buy a VESC. Now choose a realistic gear ratio (13 teeth on motor side, as big as possible on wheel side, e.g.36 teeth). Wheel size should be known, 13 teeth is really the smalest you want, 12 is possible but belts do suffer.
Now pick a motor with low KV, so top speed is about right.
Best to do is go for 63mm size outrunners, because they create more torque and suffer less.
The faster your board, the less it will want to climbe steep hills. You got to know your avarege route. If you face hills, pick lower KV, or gear down further (which is not really possible).
Don't go to the theoretical limits of the VESC, you will fry it. Rather be a bit on the safe side and drop in lower max amp values, especialy on 12S setups.

Example:
- HTD 5m 15mm wide belt drive transmission, 13/36
- Turnegy SK3 6374, 149KV
- 12S 2P
- VESC (Benjamin Vedder ESC)
- 83mm Wheels ABEC 11, clones (or Trampa stickies)
- Topspeed 37 Km/h

If you want to go crazy, use one more motor, diagonally mounted

Hope that helps, Frank from Trampaboards

Back