Austin's E-MTN Board Build

astilwell611

100 W
I have already build two electric longboards. One 6s single 56mm motor with standard 83mm urethanes and another 6s with dual 6374's with alien drives 5" wheel kit.
I used their wheel kit for several months and the ride quality was great, but I kept having flats and could never get the wheels exactly balanced.
Last week I scored an awesome deal on a gently used MBS mountainboard.
I've been wanting to convert one for a while but couldn't cough up the cash for a new board.
My last longboard build used torques bolt on motor mounts so I plan on re-purposing them for this build.
If everything arrives on time I should get to start mounting everything up this weekend.
I want to give a big shout out to OKP, no wind, squad, and all the other E-MTN board builders on the sphere you guys have been a huge inspiration to me!
Can't wait to be able to practice snowboarding in the summer!

In the mean time here is a pic of the board I picked up; matrix trucks, yellow dampeners, rockstar pro hubs, a short and long fiberglass deck (long deck not pictured).
Notice the two snowboards in the background lol.

Like I said I plan on utilizing the toqueboard's bolt on mount that I already have but will modify it to work with the matrix trucks.
Also plan on using the electrics that I already have; two Hobbywing waterproof 6s esc's, two Turnigy 6s 5000mah lipos, and a Hobbyking controller in Badwolf 3D printed case. The board will be 6s which should work okay. I just cant see buying new components until the one's I have die lol.
Sprockets are on their way; 11t for the motor and 60t for the wheel, #25 chain.

I ordered the MBS brake kit for two reasons.
Reason 1: The brake disk have the correct bolt pattern. Plan is to transfer to the wheel sprockets.
Reason 2: plan on using the steering channel of the Hobbyking GT2 for servo activated brakes on the front.

Ebay says my aluminum bits were delivered today so I should be able to start modifying mounts and hopefully post some updates this weekend.
The plan is to utilizie the already existing brake mount on the rear truck. Using a piece of aluminum angle to mount to this point then torque's mount bolts to the other side of the angle I'm worried about just using the single bolt hole but I have plans to help make it all more rigid if need be.

My mount will be similar to this guys but where the motor bolts to will be torques mount.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=60180

I cant wait for some wheelies!!!!

torqueboards said:
Sweet! I just got my Trampa but haven't had time to make mounts.. Also got some MBS trucks i want to make too :mrgreen:

wohooo torqueboards going trampa :mrgreen:

So I got some work done last night. I used 2"x2" aluminum angle to replace the portion of torque's mount that bolts to the truck. I had to cut 3/4" off of the side that mounts to the truck to clearance the sprocket. Plan on using some 1/8"x3/4" aluminum flat stock to tie the two mounts together. I used some of the aluminum spacers that came with the mbs brake kit to space out the motor mount so the sprockets could align properly. Also mounted the UK 206 on the rear of the board.

I had originally planned on using the brake rotors in the brake kit to get my sprocket bolt pattern but I realized that the sprocket shared the same center bore as the wheel itself. Sprocket is space from the wheel using the spacers from the brake kit and four washers.

I ran into some problems with sprocket wobble on one of the wheels though. As you can see on this wheel it has nearly no wobble at all.

You can see on this wheel it has significantly more wobble.

So I did some test.... Both of these videos were using the same sprocket. I made sure that both wheels had the same amount of air pressure in them (12 psi). I also swapped the bearings from the good wheel onto the wobbly one and it made no difference. This leaves me to believe that the wobble is coming from the wheel itself. On a side note it says on the tire that it can be inflated up to 60psi. What air pressure do you guys run?

So obviously my mounts didn't work out that well, chain kept popping off. So I ordered another piece of aluminum angle to try another mount design. Today when I was looking at everything to figure out how I wanted to go about it, I noticed my original enertion mount laying in the corner. I looked at it and then looked at the mbs truck and said what the heck. These are the results:

Literally all I did was bolt it on. I believe that if I grind down the brake mounts so the flat part of the motor mount sits flush it'll work out pretty well. I'm going to grind down the brake mount tomorrow and try this with torques adjustable mounts so I can place the motors where ever I want. I'll be sure to post up the results when I'm done.

Back