Building 1st E-longboard

AreaKruzer

1 mW
Hi all,

this is my first posting here and i came about this forum while searching for more information about electric longboards. I do not mind a single motor longboard as long as it is able to accelerate decently for a dude that weights 210lbs(110kg).

as stated below are my expectations and questions on a DIY motorised longboard.

1) 20+ mph top speed with decent acceleration
1a) what is the gear ratio do i need and how do i calculate them?

2) with dual motors i was thinking of 5065 motors with 270kv, is this enough or should i be looking at different motors? I weight about 210lbs(110kg). and am worried that the motors cant support it. I will be using the longboard with very very slight hillclimb
2a) what ESC can i use and how many do i need?
2b) If I were to be using a single motor build, I do know I need an ESC, but i need advice on the motor specs and also battery.

3) I currently have 2 packs of 4s 5000mah batteries and am wondering if i could use them. If i put them in series, means i get 8s 5000mah.

I have seen and read through some build threads.

Thank you awesome people in advance, I am quite excited to get the specs down and get working on it!

Hi AreaKruzer

I weigh +-90kg and have three boards. One with a single 5065 on 6S battery. Only good for flats and general running around - not very exciting.
One with a 6374 motor and 8S battery. Here it just depends on what ESC you use. I have tried three. First was an AlienPowerSystems one. This gave great acceleration and power but as it was an aircraft one it had all or nothing brakes. (My fault not ESC fault, just something I had and used.) Changed to VESC but lost power and VESC got to warm up hills. Now have EZRUN MAX6 ESC. Pulls like a train again, any hill no worries. BUT - braking sound on this ESC is just horrible, seriously horrible. Gear ration 15T / 40T
Another board with dual 5065 motors and VESC runningon 8S. Fast and powerful. If I did it again I would use 6355 motors. Easier to mount dual rear and more power (even though not really needed as good enough) for very little difference in price. Gear ration 14T / 36T

I like the single 6374 motor build the best, it has all the speed and power I need and is easy and cheaper to build.
I just got to find an ESC that gives the power like the Alien and EZRUN ESCs and have decent brakes. (Or ones that do not scream at me)

You need a ESC per motor.
I find 8S to be fine, of course it depends on your ESC (higher voltage = less amps which is good) but as you already have an 8S battery you may as well start with that.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your build.

single 6374 motor with 200+kv on 8s is what you recommend?

if i decide to go for dual 6355, also at 200+kv? i know lower kV gives more torque but loses out in top speed

Correct me if i am wrong, but the VESC that you guys are talking about, i suppose is a self-made ESC? if yes, the only closest thing i can find so far is BLDC ESC (open-sourced)

Ok, if given that I have an ESC that is able to handle max amps of 150A and i got 2 motors that draw max 65A each, can I use 1 ESC to run both motors at the same time?

One ESC for each brushless motor!
You can buy finished vesc (Elkick, Chaka, Enertion from this forum and many more sell them).
~200kv sounds good for a belt drive board, you can always change gearing a bit. Wouldn't go much higher with kv.

ok, 1 esc per motor.

i do know that there is sensor and sensorless esc, but with the sensored esc, what does it really do?

If I were to use 18650 li-ion cells to make my battery pack.

Each cell is 5000mah. I connect 10 cells in series in 1 pack and then parallel them into 2 packs, how much continuous Amps can it give out? Would appreciate if i have a formula or calculator that I could use to calculate.

Depends on their "C" rating if they aren't already rated in amps. If they are 5Ah each, or they have low discharge (not enough for our use) or they are Ultrafire or some other brand "scam-" cells, if that is the case they only have 1Ah(1000mAh) and low discharge. Only use quality cells!

A = C x Ah

ok, i will just stick with lipo in that case.

i have a couple of 8" wheels from my old manual scooter and wondering if i can keep the same drivetrain on the longboard if i change the longboard wheels to the scooter wheels.

Back