CARVON Single + VESC settings for better startup and braking

LEVer

10 kW
Now that I have my VESCs, I'd like to share some settings that I think is good for a faster CARVON Single Hub startup and better braking. The Single Hub + VESC's performance is highly affected by the remote control you use and the VESC setting for it.

These are only recommended settings and you can still play around with your setup. If it is not working for you, just let me know and I'll try to see what settings can be best for you. Other CARVON Single + VESC riders can also share their settings on this thread as rider's weight, terrain and riding styles are not constant. I will add more posts, especially ones with videos as I find more free time.

The first thing to do is to watch this:

[youtube]OtuofrQr3F8[/youtube]

So basically you want to setup your VESC with the remote you are using. I will setup the Badwolf GT2B. This setup is basically the same with all GT2B remote and also with the 2.4Ghz mini remote.

VESC1.jpg

If you watched the youtube video, you would notice at 2:12 that Marcin's full throttle still has not gone up to 100% of the display. But when I do full throttle detection on the GT2B, it's full 100% on the display as pictured above in the VESC1.jpg attachment. This is because Marcin is using a Wii remote and the throttle-stick travel of it is not as long as the GT2B. So what I've found out is that if you want a faster startup on the Single Hub, you want your remote to behave like the Wii remote or the Chinese E-board remote (the one that Enertion sells)--which also has a short throttle-stick travel.

VESC2.jpg

On VESC2.jpg attachment (I don't know why it's not showing up), you can see that I changed the "Maximum Pulsewidth" value to 2.10 and now my full throttle on the GT2B is at 95% which is the same with Marcin's full throttle display on the video. This means that you can fully jam the throttle on the GT2B and the VESC will take this as a sign that you want to get to the top limit right away and feed the necessary amps to the Hub motor to get you there fast.

It's still not "that fast" that you get thrown off the board, but it does get fast rather quickly especially once the board rolls to 2 or 3 mph. I've gotten up to 29 mph just like that but had to back off because of the wobs. The Single wobbles more than the Dual hubs, I'm assuming it's because of the uneven torque. You can let off the throttle while it's accelerating and there will be no drag or slow down, it will just keep coasting at that speed which is the beauty of the Hub motor. Then you can throttle it up again and it will be smooth, no cogging torque, no jerking or catching up with the belt.

VESC3.jpg

So on VESC3.jpg attachment, I also changed the "Minimum Pulsewidth" to 0.95 from 1.00. There is now 3% on display when I do a full brake on the GT2B, whereas it was 0% before. This means that I can fully reach the maximum braking of the VESC. The maximum braking can also be changed on the Motor Configuration tab. Be aware, that braking on a Single motor is not as efficient as on Dual motors. So I advice CARVON riders (even those that use Dual Hub motors) to always keep their distance from things like cars or gates; and to coast when approaching an intersection or a blind spot. Practice your evasion maneuvers and always have an exit direction in case of emergency, especially if you are going to go fast. DO NOT JUST RELY ON THE BRAKES.

VESC4.jpg

One more thing which is very important when you are changing the max and min of the Pulsewidth, make sure that you always have the display on or near the 50%, just like on VESC4.jpg. This is the middle of the throttle stick and should not be lower than 47% or higher than 53% because you could be turning on a little of the brakes when you think you are in neutral. This means that you could be manually pushing the board and think that it's coasting free because there is hardly any drag, but actually the brake is on. This will heat up your motor considerably and eventually burn it up. So make sure you are close to 50%. I would also increase the Deadband to 0.20 just to be sure you have enough room on your neutral point.

You can also change the Startup Boost depending on your weight. It will be ho-hum for the first 2 seconds, then will take off really fast. It's actually unsafe when it's set too high as you do not know when the boost is coming. I do not recommend setting it more than 0.100. You guys already know how to set this, and the other stuffs, so I'll just end this right here. If all else fails, JUST DO A LITTLE KICK BEFORE STARTING! :D

torqueboards said:
Now all I got to do is get my Hub Motor setup working :mrgreen:

Nice info!

Dude, hub motors + VESC on FOC is like sneak attack ninja style. It's like driving a Prius under 10 mph, Lol.

I tried inputting these exact same settings into my vesc and they didn't work too well. With these settings I get full throttle in about 1/8th throttle travel. my normal settings I get it in 1/4 throttle. not terrible, but not going to the way I want it to. I dont have a percentage readout on my OSX version. that makes this a bit more difficult to fine tune an figure out for myself. The braking on the other hand, seemed much better. I changed it back to what I had before as well to alleviate any drag that might be there since I cant see percentages. My system specs are: carvon single, VESC, space cell.
I am still figuring this out. I just hit 28.5mph on my latest speed run. I am 6'4", 210lbs. Vesc settings:
Motor Max: 70.00 A
Motor Min: -60.00 A
Bat Max: 30.00 A
Batt Min: -12.00 A
Absolute Max: 130.00 A

Min input voltage: 8.00 V
Max input voltage: 50.00 V
Battery cut off start: 33.00 V
Battery cut off end: 30.00 V

Startup Boost: 0.050

Min ERPM: 50.00
Int Limit Min ERPM: 600.00

Motor detection ran, 'applied' settings then write config for all changes. I run in BLDC with PPM on and current no reverse w/brake selected.

I am still running very hot to the touch after a full throttle run. I want to make sure I dont cook this carvon hub. Any thoughts or recommendations is appreciated!

It will really be difficult without knowing the percentage of the Pulsewidth. That's odd with the OSX even with the square next to the Display is checked.

I would experiment with my remote settings on FOC, as the VESC seems to read the motor better on FOC mode. On FOC, you can jam the throttle to the max and the startup will be faster but still smooth.

The only thing I change to get into FOC is clicking the the button, correct? Or am I changing any settings under the FOC tab as well?
Also, this is the most stable and smooth riding board ever! Even at top speed, no wobbles or anything. It gave me enough confidence to keep carving.

You also need to change things in the FOC tab, aside from clicking FOC in the Motor Type of the Motor tab.

Just click Measure R and L, then click Measure λ (Req: R) then click Apply next to those, then click Write Configuration.

Then click Calc CC (Req: R and L) and then click Apply next to it, and then click Write Configuration.

Then in Motor Parameters, click Calc (Req: L), then click Write Configuration.

FOC tab.jpg

Motor tab.jpg

tothpl said:
Also, this is the most stable and smooth riding board ever! Even at top speed, no wobbles or anything. It gave me enough confidence to keep carving.

This is the reason why I love them. It's all about the ride for me. Not the looks or anything else that much. Luckily, I don't have hills around me.

[youtube]mZMljcYoGEY[/youtube]

[Following]

Interesting. My "special application" for the eBoard is to add an attachment to connect to the back of a baby carriage type thingee. To give a parent a break. :)

(It would be rude and dangerous of course to give the Little Darling a hand-held remote control to accelerate and brake.)

Hmmmmm

That would be cool! Don't use a remote, you could have interference and lose connection. You could use the stroller's handle bar to attach a wired throttle, like Golfboard's:

golfboard-steering-bar-led-battery-indicator-throttle-1200x800-c-default.jpg

And with the VESC on FOC mode, the Hubs will run really quietly so as not to disturb the little "bundle of joy." :wink:

Hmm, but you must make safety switches, like it will only turn on when someone steps on the board, or voice-activated. Or else the baby can reach for the throttle....:mrgreen:

Hehe... Yah. Might have been kidding about handing the Babe a wireless control. Or any control. Trick would be to apply all brakes when the "care giver"/parent becomes separated for any reason. Already put this thought in another/local ebikers brain that's handy with tools. :)

(OK. Might give Babe a bell or air horn, etc. Hehe)

HA HA. Thinking is though, is to market just an attachment to an already available eBoard. :wink:

I just had a go at the FOC settings. It felt slightly slower and marginally more quiet. I GPS'd the run at 27mph even. So, ever so slightly slower. FOC settings followed from @LEVer 's post above.
FOC1.png

I bet if you use a 12s battery pack, you can easily go past 30 mph. But I think it's a great setup already, considering it's only a 1WD.

It's a good deal too. A Single Motor kit with complete trucks and wheels + free shipping (which is the lowest compared to other Single Motor and complete trucks/wheels kit out there) and a top speed of 27 - 28.5 mph for 200+ lb guy, I say that's not too shabby. :D

Back