Just almost finished my electric longboard. Battery blew up!

ichivictus

1 µW
First off here's the specs:

Motor - 1x Turnigy 6354 260kv
ESC - TorqueBoards 12S 120A Car ESC OPTO HV w/ UBEC
Battery - Turnigy nano-tech 3850mah 10S 65~130C Lipo

All the pulleys, belt, etc. I got from diyelectricskateboard except I got the enertionboards trucks and enertionboards motor mount.

I finally got it all together, with no weight it worked fine. Once my body weight was on it, it was grinding trying to move. I weigh 145 lb. I got it to go a few times on very flat surfaces but the one time I tried starting on a very small hill/bump, it smoked the battery out. The system turned off and would not turn back on.

I tried connecting the battery to the charger to test it and it says the connection is broken (Turnigy Mega 400w).

When connecting it to the board again, which might have been a really dumb idea, there were spark sounds, the power analyzer would turn on for a few seconds then fade out.

Is the battery busted? :/ I was told this battery wasn't a good pick but I thought it would still be good enough to get something working.

Lipo batteries catch on fire, if it smoked like you said it sounds like the speed controller, esc usually smoke out when they are burned out. This was maybe because two of your motor wires were touching each other and shorted out the speed controller.

pcerbu007 said:
Lipo batteries catch on fire, if it smoked like you said it sounds like the speed controller, esc usually smoke out when they are burned out. This was maybe because two of your motor wires were touching each other and shorted out the speed controller.
Alright that makes sense. Is there a way to test the ESC to make sure? Any way to repair this? And the smoke is coming from the power analyzer area mainly whenever it smokes out like that.

LEVer said:
Is this battery 10s or 3s? Can't find the 10s version.
Battery is a 10S. I can't find it on hobbyking anymore.

Here's a pic http://imgur.com/LH9uv5v

I am able to turn on the board now actually but whenever I accelerate at all it makes a spark sound and turns off.

do you have a lipo voltage tester or any type of voltage tester make sure its 32 volts to 42 volts, if it is then you battery should be fine. I really think its your esc and a burned out esc can burn out your motor so try not to use it anymore. Esc when they smoke cannot be repaired so contact diyelectricskateboards.com and see if you can get a replacement, or try a different esc

Oh no. Why did you let the magic smoke out? Now the pixies can go everywhere!!!

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Sounds like something shorted out.

Battery looks fine.

Where are you located? Maybe someone local to you can take a look and double check.

Definitely post some more pics so we can look at how everything is connected/wired up.

Also - what's your battery voltages per cell - either a battery alarm/tester or multi-meter to check each.

GL!

pcerbu007 said:
do you have a lipo voltage tester or any type of voltage tester make sure its 32 volts to 42 volts, if it is then you battery should be fine. I really think its your esc and a burned out esc can burn out your motor so try not to use it anymore. Esc when they smoke cannot be repaired so contact diyelectricskateboards.com and see if you can get a replacement, or try a different esc

I just got back from the nearby hobby shop that tested the battery and it's fine. They checkout at around 37.8v I think they said. Got some new connectors to repair all this later too.

Here's more pics as requested. My bad about the lack of detail.

http://imgur.com/RAOHqHO

So I have 2 of those ESCs but only using one right now. They are both connected to the system though. I have been looking for a second of the same motor but it looks like it is out of stock everywhere. I'm just trying to get something to work with my body weight for proof of concept for now so it's all rough. I've been connecting the wires using bullet connectors and solder then wrapping in electrical tape.

http://imgur.com/Pn44avh

That's the power analyzer. I realized I made a mistake with the connectors for the battery and that power analyzer. The female connectors should be on the battery. I'll be fixing that soon.

And before all this happened, it was working fine without weight. I'm not sure what part of the system would be messed up with weight.

ichivictus said:
So I have 2 of those ESCs but only using one right now. They are both connected to the system though. I have been looking for a second of the same motor but it looks like it is out of stock everywhere. I'm just trying to get something to work with my body weight for proof of concept for now so it's all rough. I've been connecting the wires using bullet connectors and solder then wrapping in electrical tape.

disconnect one of your esc's dude. Why are you feeding it power when it's not connected to a motor? And buy some proper heatshrink next time you order from HK, it's like $0.25 a meter.

maxchilton said:
ichivictus said:

disconnect one of your esc's dude. Why are you feeding it power when it's not connected to a motor? And buy some proper heatshrink next time you order from HK, it's like $0.25 a meter.

Yeah I plan to heatshrink but I want to wait till I have all this figured out and have something working. Does having one ESC connected draw so much power that it causes a problem like this?

ESC wont draw almost anything when connected to power, but if nothing is connected to signal input, esc may beep saying it lost input signal. Since esc's do their beping trough motor, and you have no motor connected and IF your motor wires on esc are touching, then it will draw serious amps. I would disconnect everything and connect one esc directly to battery, motor and reciever and test it like that.

Back