Psychotiller's 6x2 Pneumatic Wheel Hubs - BUILD

drmacgyver

100 W
Christmas came early for me! :D At last, the long wait is over. These things are absolutely beautiful! I still need to do a few things before I can get rolling (timing belt, new deck, and EC5 connectors/parallel my two 3s8000mah lipos), but I wanted to get this new build/thread started.

Have to show some love and appreciation for Psychotiller. I know the troubles he went through to get these made to spec because he refused to accept a less-than-perfect product. That's true professional integrity right there, so my hat off to you, sir. Endless thanks! One question though: How the heck do I assemble these? Feeling kinda dumb right now. lol :?

Attachments

• SN850084.jpg
    SN850084.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 1,757
Haha! Good talking to you today.

1st,
You'll need grease, a small amount of fine sandpaper, a press of some sort (I use my drill press.) you can also use a truck hanger, some washers, spacers and the axle nut to press in your bearings.
These hubs have an interference fit. The bearings need to be pressed in. It's not too hard to do. A little patience goes a long way. And being you guys waited like a year for these wheels I know you're patient. DO NOT POUND the bearings into place. If you feel that the fit is too tight, wrap a small piece of sand paper around your finger and lightly sand the bearing seat. until you can get about a 1/4 of the bearing into the seat nice and straight. then press it in. Repeat 4 times.

2nd,
use the truck hanger to assemble your wheel. Place half a hub, then the tire/tube then the other half hub onto the axle. put the axle nut on and tighten it. The hubs should be centered up and spin nicely. Then put in all of the hardware and tighten it up. Repeat 4 times.

By now you just need to go to the hardware store for some pulley hardware. Take a wheel, spacer and a pulley with you so you can choose the right length 4mm bolt.

Enjoy!!!

I'm just going to chime in here,

If it is recommended to "lightly sand" the bearing seat, it is not made "less-than-perfect" standard.

If the hub is designed for a pressfit of a bearing and you cant easily start the bearing straight, your best bet is to use a handheld deburing tool and chamfer the edge of the bearing seat, with a half a dozen passes around the hole, you'll have a nice .020 chamfer and then you can just place the bearing there, and use a little arbor press.

If you don't have the tools goto any machine shop, even a fabrication shop, and for almost nominal money they'll help you out. Its cheaper to pay a pro 20$ for 5 minutes of time than it is to f#$* up a hub or bearing. Just my 2cents

dashimsta said:
I'm just going to chime in here,

If it is recommended to "lightly sand" the bearing seat, it is not made "less-than-perfect" standard.

If the hub is designed for a pressfit of a bearing and you cant easily start the bearing straight, your best bet is to use a handheld deburing tool and chamfer the edge of the bearing seat, with a half a dozen passes around the hole, you'll have a nice .020 chamfer and then you can just place the bearing there, and use a little arbor press.

If you don't have the tools goto any machine shop, even a fabrication shop, and for almost nominal money they'll help you out. Its cheaper to pay a pro 20$ for 5 minutes of time than it is to f#$* up a hub or bearing. Just my 2cents

Yes I know Chimy McChimemaster...After talking to Scott, who told me he had no tools to work with I wanted to give him an easy option. Any machine shop could press them in. They could also completely screw up the hub. It can always go either way. I know this because I had a shop brake my wheel hubs on my subaru not knowing how to use the equipment they had. And by the way, My hubs are chamfered.

As I said in the video, you don't need to sand the shit out of your bearing seat. (you don't need to sand it at all if you have a proper press)

LEVer said:
Deep throat it. :wink:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=deep+throat

That's gross Jerry...

LEVer said:
Fine....do it your way, Lol :mrgreen:

I prefer a gentle sanding and some lube :oops:

LEVer said:
Love these hubs man, does it come with pulleys already? How bout a complete set with wheels, trucks, pulleys and your mounts? How much?

Complete set with wheels, tires, pulleys, bearings, hardware, trucks, belts and mounts? $500 (clone 195's, psycho 66 mounts, abec 9 bearings, 165t belts, matco tires)

https://sites.google.com/site/psychotiller/home/6-billet-wheel-hubs

Not bad. Put two TACON motors, a double-drop deck, 2 VESCs, and the Space Cell, you've got a high-powered off-roader able to slam down Evolve AT....and cheaper too!

Back