Vedder Antispark & Regenerating brake

okp

100 kW
Hey folks,

A friend of mine using a vedder powerswitch/antispark rode without the board power on (the switch was off), and it seems that the switch failed and is now fail open. I am wondering if when riding with switch off and the fact that motor generates current, then the vesc regenerating brake which currents its back the powerswitch (off) on it's ON side (facing VESC) does not damage it or saturate it that make it fail and act now as fail open.

Hope I am clear enough !

Thanks

So the VESC was unpowered, but was able to generate current and force it through the switch board? That seems like a possibility, but I don't know if MOSFETs work backwards, which would allow the switch to loose its authority to regenerative current.

MOSFETS have an intrinsic "body diode" and will conduct current in the reverse polarity - even when switched off.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think in that case you should fry vest first... Vesc was not powered too so mosfets had the same state as the ones on sparkswitch.

Not quite, the VESC is situated after the switch, the switch though is directly connected to the battery.
I do not have the circuit diagram for the switch but this would affect the source and drain voltages so quite possible that that the switch could be damaged and not the VESC.

Back