Motorizing a existing truck

janjo

10 µW
Hello, I have a skateboard that has very special trucks (ones that simulate surfing) and I would want to motorize the skate without having to replace trucks (that wouldn´t make sense). I have seen some projects on KickStarter like Unii, but don´t find anything ready to buy yet.

Do you know how could I do it? DIY or kit.

Sorry for my poor english.

Thanks!

Hi
We would really have to know exactly what trucks you have to be able to give any advice.

Thanks! The truck is called v-truck system, the skate is called "surfskate", you can check it here: surfskate.com
I think it´s enough to make an idea, but if you want I can take some photos if you want.

Thanks, again!

Hi
Had a look at the website. Interesting idea, must be quite fun to ride.
Capture.JPG

Looking at the tucks you will need to either machine quite a bit off to get it round(ish) to attach a regular bought motor mount.
Then again, and probably a better idea, would be to make your own. You may have enough flat area there to attach a bracket and weld a motor mount on.
Hard to tell exactly from a small picture though. Do you have tools and mechanical knowledge?

I'd probably be easier to make your own and take advantage of the flat area, rather than modify the truck to fit a "normal" motor bracket.
What kinds of tools do you have? You'll need to make something since it's a very unique truck.

Thanks Weechumlee! Sure, it´s fun because you use the back foot to control it instead of front foots like all the other skates so the feeling is different from ordinary skates.
I have knowledge in electronics since I´m electronic engineer but I don´t have not mechanical knowledge and no tools :? so, what do you recommend? Also, which system would transmit motor power to the wheel? Chain, friction, etc... I have seen the most popular configuration is a chain but I would have to separate a little bit the wheel from the truck to attach the chain on it?

Thanks!!

Without tools and basic mechanical knowledge I am afraid you are up sh_t creek without a paddle.
You will not find an "off the shelf" solution so it really only leaves the self build option.
That truck is pretty unique so a motor mount is going to have to be built to fit. Between motor and wheel gear we would normally use a belt, not a chain.
Google "electric skateboard wheel pulley" + "electric skateboard motor mount" and look at the pictures. You will get an idea of what you are going to have to build.
I am not sure of your board but I think what make it so unique is the front truck - meaning you can use a different rear truck, one on which you can easily mount a purchasable motor mount.

You can always buy or make a weld on motor mount. Pay a shop $30 to put weld it anywhere you want.

Thanks WeeChumble, joop1987 and Montiey.

Weechumble, I think it`s the combination of front and back truck that makes unique the system, since the back truck is overdimensioned and some other details... so I`m going to take my time to read first and make an idea... and then continue asking :wink:

Thanks!!

Well I hope that you find a solution, that would be a wicked carving machine once completed.
Love to see the pictures and a video. :D

Sure! I will have more time on summer and will do something, and sure, I will post it here.

Huminna, where I can buy those hub motors? It is worth of it?

Thanks to all!

I don't know that you would want to motorize a truck with that much range in motion. I think you'd lose the ability to ride it the way its designed, but I am interested in hearing about the results.

I'd definitely go welded here, as it seems the only easy way to make the necessary geometry. Order the motor, wheels, gears, and belt and then fabricate mounts from 3/8" 6065 aluminum and have it welded to the truck at a local machine shop. It'll be tough to avoid wheel/motor bite on the deck though, and may require some truck spacers. Either way you have very little room for error.

Back