Electric Skateboard on/off switch??

Samuraijaq

1 mW
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make an on/off switch for a electric skateboard. I'm kind of tired connecting and disconnecting the cables.

If possible, I'm looking for a on/off switch that will allow me switch it off without worrying the lipo batteries discharging.

Vedders anti spark switch
Diyelectricskateboard anti spark switch

or automotive circuit breakers
IMG_7050b.jpg

the problem is high currents, so none of reasonably sized toggle switches wont be able to handle the current. Even automotive relays are for currents like 30-50a + they draw their own current once engaged...

Use Vedders or DIYs spark switch.

I use a primer buttom (through a resistor), and a XT60 loop-key. I'ts bulky and if you have space in a single enclosure you should use a MOSFET based switch.

I changed from an anti-spark switch to the XT90-S as they work really well from my experience. Easy, light and practical - not to mention cheap as well.

XT-90 S' look interesting, but I heard that they didn't actually do anything and that they were another gimmick from hobbyking. I like the plastic sleeve, though. Much better than fiddly heat-shrink.

Montiey said:
XT-90 S' look interesting, but I heard that they didn't actually do anything and that they were another gimmick from hobbyking. I like the plastic sleeve, though. Much better than fiddly heat-shrink.

Gimmick? You heard? :roll: Is there a chance you got your information from somebody that didn't know how to wire their build correctly?

They work and they've most definitely been put to the test on the forums. If you run under 6s you can pretty much use any switch you want if you use an anti spark and a loop key. Above 6s, the only switches that work are going to come from DIY or VEDDER and you should still use a loop key as a fail safe.

psychotiller said:
Gimmick? You heard? :roll: Is there a chance you got your information from somebody that didn't know how to wire their build correctly?

Precisely correct, then.

Look on youtube, there are many videos of people using XT90-S on various applications. I have used it on 8S and 12S boards and they work great.

Xt90 anti spark are great, there is an automotive 80amp relay they are rated at 12v but tested to 36v I have used it with 12s 60amp 50.4v many hours use no problems at all it will switch off under full load and can use any small switch then In a convenient place, I also use a 60amp maxi blade fuse and have not burned one out yet.

If you look at the relay you can see the large blades for beefy cable good for 3kw.View attachment 1

I'm a big fan of the Vedder switch. I run 12s4p 10ah and the Vedder switch has been the most reliable i've tried.

smashapotamus said:
I'm a big fan of the Vedder switch. I run 12s4p 10ah and the Vedder switch has been the most reliable i've tried.
Ive not heard of these, good call they look decent too i wonder if theres 20s capable versions for ebikes that available ?

Interesting thread! One question : do you know of a simple high current switch without anti spark features?

I wonder if a combo like this : battery - - > XT90 plugs - - > switch - - > ESC would work or if as soon as plugs are connected, if switch engage / disengage it is bound to spark despite the loop.

Vanarian said:
Interesting thread! One question : do you know of a simple high current switch without anti spark features?

I wonder if a combo like this : battery - - > XT90 plugs - - > switch - - > ESC would work or if as soon as plugs are connected, if switch engage / disengage it is bound to spark despite the loop.

Correct - without anti-spark, in a high voltage setup (8-10-12s+) it WILL SPARK. Not a big deal in general, other than wear and tear - eventually wearing away your contacts until the switch stops working. The higher the voltage the more energetic the spark and the more(quicker) it will wear away the two metal surfaces in the switch which contact.

HTH - GL!

Ianhill said:
Xt90 anti spark are great, there is an automotive 80amp relay they are rated at 12v but tested to 36v I have used it with 12s 60amp 50.4v many hours use no problems at all it will switch off under full load and can use any small switch then In a convenient place, I also use a 60amp maxi blade fuse and have not burned one out yet.

If you look at the relay you can see the large blades for beefy cable good for 3kw.View attachment 1

Cool info here! can you let us know exact model of relay you are using? How do you wire it?

psychotiller said:
If you make a loopkey you won't have to unplug your batteries...

But I do want to unplug, that's why I'm looking for a way to have both plugs and switch :oops:

sl33py said:
Vanarian said:

Correct - without anti-spark, in a high voltage setup (8-10-12s+) it WILL SPARK. Not a big deal in general, other than wear and tear - eventually wearing away your contacts until the switch stops working. The higher the voltage the more energetic the spark and the more(quicker) it will wear away the two metal surfaces in the switch which contact.

HTH - GL!

Ah so in the end the anti spark loop must be where the contact is made?

Samuraijaq said:
I was wondering if anyone knew how to make an on/off switch for a electric skateboard.

"Off" is easy.

[youtube]YzCc0SprRsg[/youtube]

I use the xt90 antispark to connect my batterys to the speed controller with everything turned on and use the relay as a anti run away off switch only otherwise I'm defeating the purpose of the antispark the xt90 only antisparks on the initial connection if I turn the system off for a long period of time and turn on then it will spark or if I have the relay off connect battery's then turn on it will spark its only good for me because I have a single phase DC brushed motor and the controller can fail on leaving a full throttle signal to the motor so I need a means of killing it all under full load three phase motors its much less likely so there's no need for a full load on off switch just antispark and esc on/off.

Back