SK3 - 6364-245kv Brushless Outrunner Motor Wattage Equation

alex jones

100 mW
I have been using HobbyKings Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-245kv Brushless Outrunner Motor on my longboards.

It says in the specs …Voltage: 10S Lipoly, Max Power: 2700W.

My question is can anyone tell me what the motor wattage would be if used with 2 x 3s batteries wired in parallel and how do I work out this equation?

Many thanks in advance.

I was going to write a more complete answer but it would have to be extremely long to even scratch at the surface of what you are actually asking.
So short story:
On another thread of yours someone already advised not to use 3S. Believe him
The motor will always try (within limits of course) and draw what is needed to do what you are asking of it.
Very basics to get the drift. (It is not quite this easy but if I do not say this the purists will slag it off)
If you need 1000W to drive you along then at 10S (37V) you would draw 27A.
Now you go ahead and use 3S - the power needed to drag your ass along is exactly the same - so the motor now has to draw 90A.
Amps = heat = burnt motor and puffy battery.

If you still want to use 3S please do -but don't be surprised at the results. Very slow and high amps.

P = U * I
If max power is 2700w, it just means that at 12v, the motor can draw up to 2700/12 = 225A before seeing some serious shit.

Edit: amps, Power and voltage are kinda related. And as not everyone is running the same motor at the same voltage, Power is (at least for me) a way to compare two different motors.

Envoyé de mon XT1092 en utilisant Tapatalk

I am afraid the above post is completely wrong. (About the drawing shitloads of amps before "seeing shit")
The motor will try and draw that sure, but it will burn up far before it gets anywhere near.
That is why they state a maximum Amp rate.

So on the motor specs it says Max Loading: 70A

Now you go ahead and use 3S - the power needed to drag your ass along is exactly the same - so the motor now has to draw 90A.

Am I right in saying that I am running the motor with my 3s set-up 20A over the recommended Max Loading of 70A ?

So If I reconnect the two 3s batteries in series I'll be okay with my Amps and the motor will not burn out? ...but the ESC is only rated for 3s so I'm back to square one again.
So with the parts I have I need to choose between the motor burning or the ESC burning!

Sorry for all the crap questions.

I have now ordered a 6s ESC...so I can run in series.

I am afraid that is correct. A 3S ESC would not be adequate.minimum 6S.
No worries with the questions, I know I made many mistakes on my first build. :D

Ok I didn't know about the max load. Is it correct to say that if you want to use the motor at max efficiency you have to up the voltage so you draw less amps?

Envoyé de mon XT1092 en utilisant Tapatalk

Back