Dual diagonal build with dual VESC's and 60A current draw

So I'm currently working on a new e-board build to transform a Loaded Vanguard into a dual diagonal monster.

I'm working with two 63mm Turnigy G160 rated at 2220W each.
Two Zippy 5S 8000mAh Lipos that I'm gonna connect in series to get a 10s setup (they're fairly thick, might have to take them apart and rearrange the cells). And two VESC's that I got off the Enertion website when they were on sale the other week.
Oh and my pulleys are 16/36 (got them off diyelectricskateboard). Wheels are 83mm. Remote controll was initially planned through a wireless nunchuck, but I'll switch to a 2,4GHz controller instead because of safety reasons. That's pretty much my whole setup.

I'm planning on doing something along the lines of what whitepony is doing in the other thread. Just way less fancy since I don't have access to all the tools to make my board as awesome as his. Still gotta think of a way to mount everything in two cases underneath the board while preserving the flexibility (it's a flex 1 deck and I weigh about 90kg/200lbs).

Problem:
So far I'm a little worried about the Lipo-VESC-Motor combination. The turnigy G160's have a current draw of up to 60A each. The VESC's are supposed to be able to handle up to 50A continuously. I'm definitely gonna drive up mountain roads with the board (not offroad though), possibly even while pulling someone on a non-e-board behind me. So I think the 60A current draw sounds realistic (correct me if I'm wrong here though). What do I do about the VESC's though? If I cool them enough (maybe even with an actual cooler mounted on their case, would they be able to handle up to 60A continuously? Basically I'm asking if the 50A limitation is only because of the heat buildup and whether there's a fix for that.

Other than that I thought about working with 50A fuses to make sure I don't blow up my VESC's but I'm not sure if that will work as planned. I thought about getting a twin 300A ESC off alienpowersystems but they're all on backorder so that'd probably gonna take forever.

So yeah, that's one of the concerns I still have. Anyone here ever had the same problem before? How'd you fix it? Any workarounds for me?? Shall I buy other motors? Any advice welcome, guys. Even if it's not even related to the Lipo-VESC-Motor issue.

Set the current limit in VESC configuration tool. Start from lower values (like 40A for each VESC) and slowly go up if you need to. Since you will have two motors, they will share the load and it is very possible that you will be good even with 40A. Start from low software limits. Monitor the temprature. Fuse is only good if you accidentaly short-circuit things. But it's nice to have. Check vedder antispark switch, it has the space for fuse.

I would avoid alien power systems ESC's regardless of claimed 300A. Typically re-badged Flier ESC and known to be problematic.

VESC is definitely the way to go! I have a Vanguard 38" that i have setup for my GF w/ single 6355 200kv (generic) motor - it moves me along quite well. I have run watt meters on mine and rarely saw above 40a. I would definitely do some limiting in VESC to start and not hesitate to go this route.

You can add a simple fuse for peace of mind, or run without. Mine is fuse-less currently.

HTH - GL!

Vesc is the best for sure. But the current max can be misleading: I run two vescs both set to 60amp max. A lot. But before my watt meter died it only ever showed a 45 amp max draw on 12s. I don't know what would be limiting the amps when I go full throttle up a steep hill but it's not getting to 60 or even close considering its hit maybe 50 amps for both

The vescs stay warm at most always

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Vesc is the best for sure. But the current max can be misleading: I run two vescs both set to 60amp max. A lot. But before my watt meter died it only ever showed a 45 amp max draw on 12s. I don't know what would be limiting the amps when I go full throttle up a steep hill but it's not getting to 60 or even close considering its hit maybe 50 amps for both

The vescs stay warm at most always

A system will never draw more energy than it really needs. You are running at 45 amp x 12s (assuming 4.2 at full) = 2268 Watts. A full 60 amp draw would equal 3024 Watts. Because you say you are running two motors, I would expect less current to move from start than using a single motor; even when running.

but I'd like more amps. When u say a system won't use more than it needs you could see me as needing more, holding down the trigger, and not getting it

I've been riding at 60 from battery max and 60 to the motor and it's been fine but read that 50 to the motor is the recommended safe amp limit. How high is too high and can you simply tell by the temp of the fets? And wounldnt a temperature cutoff occur if it went too high before anything would break? I'd like to stay at 60 and the vesc is only warm.

Back