Quad Drive Longboard

s28400

100 W
Hey guys,
I've been planning and refining my designs for a few months for a rocket ship electric longboard. It will have 4 APS 6355 230kv motors and 36 a123 2650 cells. While doing research for this, I noticed with the exception of the Baja Board and the world record hub motor board, no one else had done a 4wd setup. Is there a reason or does no one want a rocket ship for a longboard like me lol? In my mind even if you don't want crazy power, distributing load over four smaller motors would result in much greater traction, braking and control. Anyway, I'll post some pictures of my build later on once I start getting things together. Let me know your opinion on 4wd drive boards.

i love the idea. others have done that in other forums.

especially for extreme things like going SUPER FAST or extreme offroad it does make sense.
but for normal use the cost and energy consumption would be too high.

imagine the price of 4x VESC, 4x motor, 4x motormount 2x huge battery...
and 4x3000W drain (!)

make a list and upload pics then we have a price.

No real reason it's not done beyond cost AFAIK.

You should really look at some more modern battery options though! Those cells are definitely not in keeping with the rocket ship theme!

Ohbse said:
No real reason it's not done beyond cost AFAIK.

You should really look at some more modern battery options though! Those cells are definitely not in keeping with the rocket ship theme!

Why are they not rocket ship? They are rated for 70Amps each - thats at 12s 50A per Motor (210A overall)

and there is a guy in germany who made a Offroad setup with 4 motors/VESCs
http://www.elektro-skateboard.de/forum/eigenbauten-95/mbs-pro-90-4x-vesc-ntm5060-12s-4349.php

reason is probably weight, cost and room on the board for the components! would love to see that, on the other hand I certainly wouldnt want to carry it around! :p

what board did you have in mind?

that kind of supercurrent battery is cool, sadly 36xA123 is 360€ alone for the cells :cry: youll have to be mindful about all serial, heck, actually ALL connections with that kind of current/power. :D

Thanks for the great replys! Yeah so price wise off the shelf parts and some custom machining, it's coming to about $2300. I am building it around the loaded vanguard 42 inch flex 1 deck with caliber trucks and Abec flywheels. I have designed custom motor mounts similar to what the boosted gen 2 will have with removable plastic bash guards and the battery is segmented in 9 sections to allow it to flex. Also the battery covers are easily replaceable so of one gets scraped up or cracked, it can be 3D printed and replaced.

Those cells are the only ones I can find that have huge discharge ratings and pass all safety tests with only leaking. I am using inch thick grounding strap for the power rails and will be soldiering all connections. I'll start post some pictures later today for you guys.

hm, rocket ship & vanguard? thats like mixing fire with ice imo, vanguard is a born cruiser & carver and even if you stiffen it up with carbon layers, its still a very narrow board without much concave - youll never have a real locked in feel! also, the vanguard needs to flex to actually get some sort of rocker. a stuffened up vanguard would have the opposite of rocker, probably horrible to stand on. :?

whitepony said:
hm, rocket ship & vanguard? thats like mixing fire with ice imo
Yeah I've had a lot of people say that the vanguard isn't ideal for high speeds, however I am very familiar with the deck at decent speeds (Boosted Board Dual +) and will be doing a lot of carving at lower speeds. This build is designed for speed if I need/want it but I won't be hauling every time I ride it, only on straight aways. Also the boosted board I have is a flex 3 where as the one I picked out is a flex 1 and a bit longer as well for wider foot placement. I'm rendering some pictures of my model and will put them up in a bit :D

I really like the look of the overlap of the single battery segments, will look like an angry reptile when it flexes!! :D

I had a similar idea of these battery pouches on my last iterations of my topspeed, but never finished it! will your segments be fine with the "negative rocker" form of the vanguard when noone is standing on it? how heavy are you? I think I could potentially bottom out my vanguard flex2 with 80kg weight, thats why the boosted setup of the 2 enclosures close to the trucks is really smart - the middle "bottom out" section is free to bottom out. :p

Yeah I really like the look of it too. I think it looks like a snake belly so if I end up selling these they'll be called serpent boards. :p I have done some moderate testing and they seem to be alright. I may need to put some negative curve on them to compensate we'll see. Yeah that's why i went with the flex one. I did some tests with one of the 3d printed packs and clearance is pretty good even going over curbs. I weigh about 220lbs and even with me jumping on it, the 3d printed abs would not break! I realize that these segments will get scratched overtime and I have designed them so the covers can be easily replaced when they start looking ugly or in the event that they get seriously damaged. :D

really looking forward to this! think your enclosure could be a large success for the DIY community if you sell the segments or put them online for printing.

all you need is start and end modules (with or without vesc cavities) and middle segments for 650 height cells. would need 2 different heights for 26650 or 18650!

imo a good looking and flexing enclosure is one of the main obstacles you need to overcome when you build your own board. everything else is already beyond a DIY state, just buy and assemble!

whitepony said:
really looking forward to this! think your enclosure could be a large success for the DIY community if you sell the segments or put them online for printing.

all you need is start and end modules (with or without vesc cavities) and middle segments for 650 height cells. would need 2 different heights for 26650 or 18650!

imo a good looking and flexing enclosure is one of the main obstacles you need to overcome when you build your own board. everything else is already beyond a DIY state, just buy and assemble!

Thanks! Yeah I have considered producing the enclosures and selling them but they have to be matched to a specific board to fit right as most boards have different contours. I guess I could do a curved and flat one and maybe builders could put soft foam between them and the deck but I like precision lol. Maybe I'll figure something out later on. Oh yeah, I could easily scale this for 18650s and it would be a bit more streamline but this builds needs as much ampflow as possible and I don't mind the thickness/weight. I have just a few more things to finish with the end caps and then I will begin printing all 12 of the enclosures. Still waiting on my VECS to ship from enertion, ordered them back in February... :?

Back