Electric Booster...MELLOW clone from China

bbq870

10 W
Hi there,

today I got the "Electric Booster" board from Onan. It is a fake Mellow board.
they copied almost everything. let´s see what we have here.

as I live in China its easy for me to get things on Alibaba with almost no shipping cost and also no tax.
this board I got as a sample for around $300.

View attachment 7
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-18 um 18.10.31.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-18 um 18.10.22.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-18 um 18.10.05.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-18 um 18.09.50.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-18 um 18.09.39.jpg
View attachment 1

I bought this for my research on E skateboards and will probably not keep it.
in the next days I will test it and see what the specs really are.

stay tuned

Ha I want a Mellow badly but it's not available yet and I can't afford it yet!

When you want to get rid of your copy, if the test is good enough , please PM me :wink: I'd put such a thing under a Jellyboard!

as it's s chinese copy, it needs to be KILLED!! :mrgreen:
hahahaaa!!!
(the motors would probably burn, going uphill)

funny thing:
it does't work!! :evil:
so I need to contact the supplier to tell me how to make it work, or to send me replacement.
thats the advantage of living in China.

Hey, for 300 Bucks it is definitely worth a try at least.
I hope you get it sorted, would be interesting to see how this thing performs.
I will not slag it off just because it is Chinese or a copy, let's see what it does first. (Though not a good start one must say)

long story short...

it broke after 2 minutes!
I didn´t even managed to mount it under a board. I put in the battery and pressed the remote. the motors seem to rotate not very smooth. they kind of wobble a bit.
not sure if ts the PU or the whole unit?
that doesn´t speak quality.
it has 2 speeds and when pushing the remote the motor-sound seems ok. not too loud.
after a few times pushing the remote one motor COGGED and stopped. I stopped immediately pushing the remote.
after that the "broken" motor was harder to rotate by hand.
the other still turned easy.

after contacting the supplier they told me to charge the battery and try again.

I tried that, and then the second motor cogged and (I guess) burned. (dont know how to call that)
it doesnt work any more and rotating both motors by hand is really hard now. before it was easy.
BOTH motors and esc are broken now. I sent back the board and now I will get replacement.

getting a new one is a matter of 2 dys, but I hoped to get quality and not a desaster.

stay tuned

Do the motors not turn when the 3 phase wires are not touching? Maybe mechanically it's fine and it's an electrical brake effect that's slowing the motor rotation similarly to what u can do by having the motor phase wires touching

Maybe if batteries and transmitter are decent enough, and if motors are mechanically good, resoldering a VESC inside would make for good ride! But given the first try, I'm worried about the rest. Careful on your investigation. Also make sure that the wheels won't fly off the booster if it starts working!

@ Hummina Shadeeba
you mean that the insulation of the phasewire could have burned and now they might have been shorted? (touching)
but that also means `our friends from fareast` didn´t put ANY safety electronics to prevent this from happening.
@ Vanarian.
Yes. if things break a VESC would make sense to be put in. And I will definitely open the housing to see whats inside later. same for the motors.
I ordered 4 VESCs from Maytech (as the german guys didnt want to sell me theirs when I was in Germany (warranty reason, they said))
so I am forced to buy from China. :roll:

I should get a new Booster in 1 or 2 days, so lets see how it performs.

other thing: can/will MELLOW take legal action against this company as they shamelessly steal the design?
(I hope the Chinse are not reading here :shock: )

Wanted to share my recent discovery about cheap motors. I have a ntb 50-60 I got from enertion over a year ago. After a few months of very little use some of the magnets inside the case broke free and moved up into the top of the motor. It struck the motor case. I was going about 20 mph when it happened the motor was turning really fast, the sound was sudden squeal as the magnet grinded the aluminum housing up by the wires. It got instantly hot and melded, locking up the motor which locked up the wheel. Next thing I know I am supermaning of the front of it. Not a good day. I haven't ridden it since almost a year later I finnaly took the motor apart today and saw the magnets, originally I thought they were balancing weights like on a car wheel. A little online searching revealed this is a common problem. Maybe that is what happened with your motors?

thanks for sharing!
supermaning is not good (OMG!) don´t ever want to experience that.
I guess we are guniea pigs for all kinds of situations as E skate is a fairly young sports.

the Booster just burned the electronics. which is even worse as no force or load was involved.

I got the replacement set and first thing I noticed ist that one motor doesn´t spin smooth.

let me explain this....
1st set: both motors spun equally (no difference in noise between the motors)
on a scale from 1-10. 10 being the best they were 5
that means that you did notice the vibration, saw a slight wobble and the whole setup was vibrating slightly more than you would like it to. so that was a 5!
(considering the price one could live with that, if it was the only drawback)

2nd set:eek:ne motor spins 7 which is better than the 1st set. you definitley hear that. almost no vibration and that is how smooth they should spin.
but second motor spins 3!!!!!!! you see it wobble, it creates vibration and is NOT acceptable.

good luck for the guys thinking to IMPORT these sets. it will be a desaster.

they still are cheap, considering "real" Eboards. so the money you lose isn´t too much. OR in case it really works the money you save is ok.
I will compare the other board from Landwheel to this one also and see which one is better.

problem is, I am more focussed on my titanium Fatbike project now, so I have limited time.
why I buy all these boards is to have enough boards for my friends on a skate trip to FRANCE in august.

salut le mec!
I go to Bordeaux. lets see, maybe we do a detour by the south!!
for your other project, theres still one month time. contact me. if I make sth for you I can handcarry in August (if that's not too late for you)

Back