"Vintage" cruiser board

galp

100 W
Hello!

I won an auction on ebay a week ago and received the board today.
NDNBhSnl.jpg

Nevermind the color. I got it for 6€ + 7€ shipping. I'll need something small for short commute to uni that starts in autumn.

Has anyone converted it to EV yet? I have a spare SK3 motor, VESC and few LiPo cells at home so I'll give it a try. I already designed and CNC-ed the motor mount from plywood to see if it fits. I have to make some adjustments before I machine it from aluminum. I'll use HTD 5M belt and pulleys because they can be easily machined. Motor is SK3 6364 with 245kv so I'm guessing 8S and 1:2 transmission ratio would be okay.

Your thoughts?

Hi there
Is that a Penny Board? If so the only reservation I would have is the flex. Depends of course entirely on your weight - when i stand on one it flexes like crazy :)
Your choice of battery, ESC and motor sounds just right in my opinion. I run a very similar single motor setup, albeit with a slightly longer gear ration (14/36). With this ratio I have no problem at all with hills.
All the best for your build.

AH OK, you do not have much real estate to place much under the board then, they are pretty small.
That would obviously limit the battery size but once completed would be a nice small "nip around town" board. :D

I had time to model and machine few parts today. I machined motor mount and outer spacer for the wheel. I still need two pulleys.

Here's how the drive assembly should look like:
e1GLHdF.png

Here are few pictures of the parts machined today (for full resolution open a picture in a new tab and remove "l" before .jpg):

After roughing.
6nbClCPl.jpg

Semi finish done. Didn't bother with a complete finish because that face will be hidden anyway.
OJEXGcol.jpg

It fits nicely.
wz1mS0Pl.jpg

Motor mount
xYPwuzjl.jpg

It will be secured with two strong screws or maybe even welded. Small trucks made some trouble with designing this mount but I think it should work ok.
XsOjarpl.jpg

That's it for today.

I machined the motor and wheel pulley today and assembled everything. Wheel pulley has 30 teeth and motor one 16. Wheels are 60mm. The calculated median speed on 8S is 43 km/h... :? :? :? I hope I don't kill myself with this little thing.

Wheel with an aluminum HTD 5M 30 teeth pulley, 10mm wide. I drilled holes through the wheel and machined four M4 threads in the pulley.
eyP66XGl.jpg

Motor mount was mounted on the trucks using two M5 screws.
BhT2MKzl.jpg

cRZ4nJrl.jpg

I also made some room arrangement. Two battery cells (Turnigy 5Ah 20C) fit between the trucks with carbon fiber tubes on sides to make the deck stiff. I'll most likely 3D print an enclosure for batteries and electronics.
V1dMckel.jpg

WOW
Dude, impressive!!
That should be one cool little ride.
You obviously won't have a problem to make a new one if the gearing is a bit off.

Can you show the inside of the bigger pully? Im curious how you managed to squeeze a pully in that tight space.

no Dual Motor?!? hehehe

that thing is going to be punchy! be careful and please please please shoot some video of that thing moving along!

instead of the carbon tubes - could you laminate CF to the bottom of the board? Not sure how well it would stick... How are you going to fix the tubes in place to reduce flex?

sweet fabrication skills making your brackets/gears/etc! respect.

Looks really good!
I highly advise front wheel drive.
On these small kick-tail boards it really does make all the difference.
Otherwise look forward to a whole bunch of wheeleez :)
Have fun, keep postin

Where am I supposed to fit another motor? :oops: :oops:

Anyway, I made some progress again.

Mounts for carbon fiber tubes were machined from aluminum. I made 6 of them although I'll probably need just 4.

4isHuBNl.jpg

kmrFq83l.jpg

And now mounted on the board.
aSCYlQ1l.jpg

tQ6u0dPl.jpg

D9UOErMl.jpg

I have to buy appropriate screws (correct length, countersink). It's already late and I just wanted to test it out. Turns out the deck is completely stiff even with just one tube on one side. Riding the board feels a lot better now.
If everything goes according to plan I should be doing test rides on weekend. :lol:

galp said:
Where am I supposed to fit another motor? :oops: :oops:

I was joking. It didn't translate well i guess. it's such a small board - there isn't room for a dual motor... and two motors on such a short wheelbase board would be RIDICULOUS (and FUN!) ;)

i really like your CF tube mounts - nice!

I mounted the second CF tube on the deck today and it's super, super stiff and added weight is just around 200 g. Riding on the board now feels a lot better and it's also somewhat easier to stay on. Can't wait to test it with a motor.

Like I said, I'm going to use 5Ah 20C lipo cells. I designed a simple PCB to electrically connect the cells to form a pack. I'll place one 5S pack in front of another. (Yes, I know I said this board was going to be 8S, but... :D :D )

Here's half of the pack:

I made the PCB to electrically connect the cells. It was machined with a CNC.

After soldering the cells.

5S pack.

And here's how I'll place the batteries under the board. Interestingly it won't have any impact on the ground clearance since the trucks are even lower.

I almost had an accident while soldering (top left solder joint). :?

The project was on delay for about one month. Today I found time to finish it. It's insanely sturdy and I can feel every asphalt dent. I kinda miss my old longboard but I also think this mini board will serve me great to get to uni.

Some pictures

Test ride was scary and I didn't have the guts to test the top speed. I'll change the motor pulley from 16T to 12T. Some more torque would be welcome and there's no way I'd want to be going more than 30 kph with this thing.

Really nice, but what I don't get is why you put so much time and money into such a crap platform to start with?

Keep the shape but go a sweet little one like this:
PennyCruiser2.jpg

or my favourite:

1c.jpg
OfficeCruiser3.jpg

Thank you whitepony and bandaro. I had all the parts from my longboard build that I took apart and didn't want to invest a lot of money for a nice board. I also wanted to prove you can mount 2kW on a cheap board.

Here's a video of this tiny thing:
[youtube]0Vd6_RAdpKE[/youtube]

This project is super cool. Id like to do something similar aswell. But with a better board. Something crazy like these boards http://www.sunsetskateboards.com/index.php/skateboards/completes/22-inch.html

Glowing LEDS!! : 8) So bright! Or maybe a simple maple deck like above

Back