VESC parking brake for electric wheelchair

Ryuudan

1 W
So, I'm working in a project and using the VESC. It's a sort of wheelchair and people have asked for an electronic parking brake.
So this is how it should work: It doesnt apply any torque to the motor unless the motor spins, then it will counter accelerate to nullify this torque.
this way it will only use energy IF the wheelchair tries to move.

I think it will not have a lot of attention here as skateboarders might not have any use for this feature, but i want to build it as a safety feature for my application.

Is it possible to build it within the VESC?
I'm using a joystick and arduino to control the VESC. Can I read the RPM signal from the UART port and send PPM back to the VESC or is it going to be laggy and slow response?

Thanks for any help.

I might be wrong, but try to set your VESC in duty cycle mode. If I remember that did not allow the motor to spin if no input is given. Also if you go full speed and drop duty cycle to 0 the motor will stop instantly and not coast to a stop.

What you are looking for is called dragbreak. Electrik RC Rockcrawlers use that, so that the Car does not roll reverse when u stop.
But it does need some energy, if you do park on a step hill. So you might wanna use only a light dragbreak. This way the wheelchair only starts rolling when it is to steep. If he starts rolling than he does that slowly in breaking mode, so there is enough time to stop it again and close the mechanical breaks.

As I understand dragbrake shorts the phases and still uses energy to brake instead of the regenerative braking where the motor is "passive" and generating electricity instead of using it.

Would this be able to use the full torque of the motor to keep it from rolling? I mean the full torque it can generate in a full stop anyway, not the full real torque it can generate while already spinning.

So, if I set the VESC to duty cycle 0 it will not coast ever? This might be bothersome. requires some testing. I'm programming it to go up to 15km/h. if it was 6km/h would be fine with that.

Have we looked into FOC or using a sensor-equiped motor? This way the VESC could do position holding instead of constant braking.

Can you post some pictures? I would love to see the build. I have some sample code for you for a NodeMCU that you can use with an analog joystick.

Actually I can't post pictures right now. I'm in concept phase still. It's not a wheelchair for elderly or disabled though, more like a transportation commuting vehicle.

I intended to use as little of hardware as possible to put this feature, so since the VESC has a MCU on it and has a UART port I figured it could be used for this.
Vesc can sense when the motor moves and know even the RPM, maybe with a sensorless motor it might not be accurate enough for a real parking brake, but if it at least put some good resistance only when needed it would be enough. only testing to know for sure.

If I go to a sensored motor it should be extremely accurate, but can it be done with nothing else than the VESC?

Back