Custom Truck Adapters for APS/TB Motor Mounts (here: Ronins)

whitepony

10 kW
since I dont want to neglect ES, here is my latest small project: custom truck adapters for the modular motor mounts from alien power system and torqueboard!

as so often, okp was pioneering with cast motor mount adapters for the complicated cronins, whose truck profile changes in a nontrivial way along the way from axle to kingpin!

for the interested readers, check this: http://www.e-sk8.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=385&hilit=ronin

okp was nice enough to send me a few of his adapters, but they were made for 9mm belts - for 15mm belts I needed the adapters even further in towards the kingpin, which is a completely different ronin truck geometry already and which is also problematic, since the max diameter for the adapter is 30mm with the alien power system mount and basically the truck at its widest part is 30mm very quickly.

I liked the way okp did it, but I thought of a potentially simpler way to get your motor mounts connected to your truck:

I ordered 30mm aluminum and stainless steel pipes with a very thin wall (1mm for aluminium, 1.5mm for stainless steel) and cut them in very short pieces - long enough to allow quite free positioning of the motor mount, but short enough that it wont interfere with the wheels. then sanded the cuts and in the case of the aluminium, I actually polished the pipes for looks - left 2 are stainless steel, right 2 are polished aluminum:

ronin_mount_adapter_1.jpg

I brought the pipe all the way to the kingpin and decided to go for the aluminium, since the thinner wall allowed the pipe to go juuust that little bit further that I needed for the 15mm belt:
ronin_mount_adapter_2.jpg

I added the same pipe on the other side for symmetry and taped both of them firmly to an aluminium angle leftover from my very first enclosures. that way the adapters will be perfectly straight!
ronin_mount_adapter_3.jpg

another pic to show the 2 pipes to make it clearer, why both of them simply have to be perfectly aligned and straight
ronin_mount_adapter_4.jpg

used plastilin to seal the kingpin side (its much easier to add resin from the wheel side, because the opening is much larger):
ronin_mount_adapter_5.jpg

I then used the slow curing epoxy resin I still had from my laminating adventures and added quite a bit aluminium powder to increase the heat conductance of the resin (and apparently its increasing the impact and compressive strength as well). id like to use the truck for heat dissipation, since the APS & TB mount is 100% aluminium unlike the enertion CFK->aluminium mount:
ronin_mount_adapter_6.jpg

finally poured it into the pipe:
ronin_mount_adapter_7.jpg

ronin_mount_adapter_8.jpg

I was pretty happy with the results after curing - this is the side where I poured in the resin - it shrank a little as expected, but still looks nice with the aluminium inside. few stains of resin on the pipe which Ill sand and polish off I guess:
ronin_mount_adapter_9.jpg

same side, but the "thick" resin part towards the board:
ronin_mount_adapter_10.jpg

kingpin side - you can see why you need the thinnest possible pipewalls for this: the pipe touches 3 of the 4 truck edges and really cant get in any further - so I would say for 15mm belt on cronins, there is only one possible motor mount right now: APS due to 30mm inner truck mount adapter diameter.
ronin_mount_adapter_11.jpg

and the 3 touching points from another perspective:
ronin_mount_adapter_12.jpg

since Im still waiting for the APS motor mount delivery, I test-mounted torqueboards V2 motor mounts which has a smaller truck adapter diameter (something around 28mm). so if you want to make custom adapters for that kind of mount, youll have to use pipes with the correct (slightly smaller) diameter.

good fit for 15mm belt and it looks pretty well aligned too:
ronin_mount_adapter_13.jpg

from a different angle
ronin_mount_adapter_14.jpg

so, if you have a favourite truck you always wanted to use for your eboard (my gbomb dont trip poppies come to my mind): its not super hard to make a truck mount adapter for torqueboards and alien power system motor adapters like that. :)

dont worry too much about aluminium powder, you can use resin only and it will be fine! you can use aluminium powder in basically any dose from what I understand. in the case of ronins, it had to have a viscosity low enough to get into all small cavities, so I didnt go too wild with the powder. :)

no need to drill any holes!

my APS order arrived today and I set everything up. fits great :D

the motor is a lot further away from the truck axle than with my enertion mount
ronin_mount_adapter_15.jpg

well aligned
ronin_mount_adapter_16.jpg

had a little bit of room on the pipe, might need it though in the end when I actually got the belt up and running
ronin_mount_adapter_17.jpg

enough room between motor and ronin base plate pin holder. the one OKP stumbled over, but if you use the whole length of the aps mount, it doesnt seem to be a problem at all
ronin_mount_adapter_18.jpg

ronin_mount_adapter_19.jpg

ronin_mount_adapter_20.jpg

Nice one whitepony! :D
You could pin a tail on that and send it to the fox university of cunningness. (For the Monty Python fans out there)

Have you got any more pics from this? Perhaps with the belt on?

Looks really great, nice documentation of everything, a pleasure to watch / go through your build!

--

Got some ideas on how to mount my motor to the round skate type trucks.. nice idea of implementing that round cylinder over the trucks.

Neat little mod there, but I was wondering how you kept it all parallel? Surely if the tube is even 0.5* off, then the belts won't line up and track properly?

Could be worth making this into a universal DIY mounting system for those odd shaped trucks.

bandaro said:
Neat little mod there, but I was wondering how you kept it all parallel? Surely if the tube is even 0.5* off, then the belts won't line up and track properly?

actually that was my main concern with the method okp showed - I kept thinking about how to line up the motor mounts perfectly and came up with the aluminum angle dual tube: the 2 metal tubes are properly fixated on that aluminum angle and both were pushed in as far as possible on the truck, i.e. they have to be perfectly straight and thats what they are! :)

@okami: more pictures hmm, there are pictures with belt on and from the outside it just looks like any other APS mounted eboard. dont think you would see anything you havent seen on my other pictures - all the details are there!

Hey White,

Now that I finished designing and producing the UNIKBOARDS mounts, I am now going to make custom mounts for the Ronins in AL7075, black anodized, or AL6061 red anodized, and also some drivers for the AmhyWheels AKASHA.

stay tuned !

Back