FVT ESC Firmware

jsut210

10 mW
The cheap and reliable FVT 120A ESC is not without its flaws. Using the stock firmware, the breaks can be a little too powerful. This I don't mind so much. However, there are the annoying startup beeps (one for each of the 6 lipo cells connected) that sound when the ESC is powered on. This tends to draw a good bit of attention in crowded areas (a college campus).

After searching around I came across this thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=73851

Here you can find "e-skateboard" firmware for the ESC that was provided by FVT themselves. I flashed this version of the firmware and have some comments. The throttle curve is much nicer and the lipo cell count beeps were removed. There is now only a three short beep sequence which I can live with. However the downside with this firmware is that the USB interface no longer can send/receive parameters from the ESC. The startup power is way too high and the break force is not much too low for my motor setup. This is kind of a deal breaker for this firmware. The only problem is that I can't go back now.

So my question is does anyone out there have any other firmware for this ESC? I've been in contact with FVT but they aren't being terribly helpful. Or, has anyone been able to successfully use the USB linker with the "e-skateboard" firmware? Thanks as always for any response.

Just tried the firmware found on your post. My ESC is totally bricked now. Want turn on, won't connect to the USB programmer. Time for VESC?

This is my ESC: http://www.rcjuice.com/fvt-120a-brushless-sensored-sensorless-car-esc-2-6s.html
I uploaded the stock version and that seemed to work. Then I tried the skate version again to see if it was the same one I had tried. Now the green light is very dim, there are no beeps and the USB wont connect.

Eeew. I may have a different skate version than what is linked here. It worked fine but I don,t like it. But, if you can't connect to the USB your probably out of luck. :(

Are you going through the LCD program card or the USB link?

USB link, haha I think she's toast. Gives me an excuse for the VESC though.

That sucks. Personally, at 6s, I'd rather use the FVT. Did you use @bandaro's firmware or @weechumlee's? I used @weechumlee's and that's the one that worked.

Originally @weechumlee's version worked. Went back to @bandaro's stock firmware then to @bandaro's Skateboard version and now I'm bricked.

Interestingly enough FVT returned my emails and they sent me this firmware version. Not sure what the changes are exactly and I can't test it, but others may find it useful. I have a feeling it is the stock firmware with the startup beeps removed (I complained about that in my inquiry). At this point it goes without saying this is untested and I'm not responsible for any bricked ESCs.

Attachments

• 滑板120A_160406.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 125
Hi jsut210
Bummer about your ESC being bricked.
VESC is of course an option, though substantially more than the FVT120 ESC.
If you want the total control of braking and other options then the VESC is the best bet for that.
At 6S I would be a bit wary about the currents drawn and the heat, on steep hills, developed on the VESC.
Where my board with the FVT (before it got stolen, grrrr) had no problem - my board with single motor and VESC did get warm and start powering down.

Back