Alibaba 50 dollars VESC worth it?

Ryuudan

1 W
So I started to see VESCs being sold at alibaba.com for 65USD-50USD

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VESC-FOC-SIna-wave-controller_60483595550.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.utuVT2

I'm very concerned by the size of those capacitors, but considering I had to pay around 170 USD(with 45USD just for shipping) for my VESC from Ollinboard and now it's 165 USD without the 45USD shipping.

I don't want to pay 210 dollars for a VESC although I do want to part of it going to Vedder, I might buy from china and donate to him anyway.

Has anyone tried them to see if the quality is the same? I really doubt, but do they work at all?

Yikes! I remember the pain folks went through with the first round of the Enertion VESC - where the factory substituted "equivalent" components (in other words - less expensive ones). Tons of headaches!

I wouldn't sweat the caps at this price - i'd buy one of the bigger ones like older 4.7 hardware had (vs the current 3 on PCB) and swap them. You want the cap as close to the PCB as possible anyway. Those tiny ones at the connector are not going to do you much good.

For $50-60 - it's almost worth a try (for science). But i wouldn't expect much - maybe for a 6s or 8s setup, but even that might be doubtful.

who's going to try and let us know?

I can't speak on the quality of these, BUT I can say two things :

1) I have been ripped off by bad quality of the Flier VESCs unfortunately and paid the price;

2) I also have been ripped off by Marcin Sleziak after he offered to me to service my VESCs (not free service of course), because the Flier VESCs were damaged even before using them. Bad soldering, some fried components, some fake components and list goes on.

Try for science if you're prepared to eventually lose 65$. Else get a true VESC from a trusted person like I did afterwards. At least now I have something great and quality made. Personnaly I don't want to be ripped off anymore.

Cheers

that would be great mccloed, please let us know.

I fried one of my VESCs and need 3 more, and don't have the money to buy them at 200 dollars a piece.

I found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VESC-4-12-Motor-controller-open-source-BLDC-Speed-Controller-VESC-vedder-Pcb-/182236851990?hash=item2a6e29af16:g:eek:FwAAOSwZ1BXe6Ct

someone has done some major HW changes..

I've seen the heatsinked VESC on alibaba as well. it might increase durability if it's properly done. problem is if they downgraded mosfets to actually need heatsink.

It was inevitable that poor quality clones would happen. Looking forward to seeing if the alibESC works. :pancake:

Got the VESC yesterday. First look: Looks cheap. I'm not sure what kind of DRV is normally used but this has the Texas instruments logo on it. They also used vedders capacitor pcb with the three capacitors. The phase wires are only 16 gauge and the power wires are 12 gauge. They heat shrinked it, so I had to cut out the USB and sensor wire connections. I connected it to my computer and a motor and it works fine. They used FW version 2.16 and HW version 4.12. Next step is to ride with it, which I'll try to do this weekend. I'll try to post pics up later today.

mccloed said:
I connected it to my computer and a motor and it works fine.
2FB0CAAF00000578-0-image-a-35_1451516956178.jpg

mccloed said:
Got the VESC yesterday. First look: Looks cheap. I'm not sure what kind of DRV is normally used but this has the Texas instruments logo on it. They also used vedders capacitor pcb with the three capacitors. The phase wires are only 16 gauge and the power wires are 12 gauge. They heat shrinked it, so I had to cut out the USB and sensor wire connections. I connected it to my computer and a motor and it works fine. They used FW version 2.16 and HW version 4.16. Next step is to ride with it, which I'll try to do this weekend. I'll try to post pics up later today.

before ride look under microscope or lens on the drv legs
it can be many small solder junk
like this
looks ok but
bELM-N2a7zg.jpg

wa12qTZ9tcc.jpg

0qI8rm6m2Bg.jpg

R-981RC2jYE.jpg

if it like that you need to clean it or it will be short in drv and vesc will dead

don't use foc on your vesc
you have missed sad caps (red)
and make photo or write what written on the shunts (blue)
IeeNBwVEHbM.jpg

iuMJURxMoKw.jpg

artteth said:
mccloed said:
looks like the shunts say WSLP2726 .0005 OHMS 1% 1622

ok
good
for this shunt you need special wrimfare for vesc for 0005 shunt
and you can try insane settings (my settings- motor 200 amps battery 70 amps absolute max 240)(if i set battery higher ill get abs over current fault sometimes (will try to reprogram to set bigger abs value (now in bldc tool 240 is max that you can type in the window)

mccloed said:
So am I ok to use without sad caps as long as I don't run it in FOC? I have caps coming next week.

mine vesc without sad caps too
try foc
didn't fry my vesc but tooooo many abs faults
if you will not use it in insane mode on the limits (like me) you can try
but same current settings and in foc i get faults sometimes but in bldc no faults at all
and buy (if you can) spare drv chips (for spare)

@mccloed can you post here the link where you bought that VESC? so we can try same vendor or avoid it if something goes wrong.

mccloed said:
So am I ok to use without sad caps as long as I don't run it in FOC? I have caps coming next week.

Do you have any wayt of logging temperature and current on the VESC? I would like to know how good it performs before I pay for three of them ;)

Back