Anti-Spark Stuck On From Charger?

s28400

100 W
Hello,
I have a generic anti-spark switch like the one from torqueboards or alien power system and it seems to have gotten stuck in the on mode regardless what position the switch is in. It is new and I have not even ridden with it, only bench testing so far. The problem began after I charged my board while the switch was supposed to be off. However, while charging, I noticed the anti-spark switch was partially on as if it was letting a little bit of current through. The LED on the switch was dim and the two vescs even had their lights on. However, I could not connect to them over usb. A day after this, the anti spark is permanently on.
Do chargers have a weird signal that messes with anti sparks or did this one just die? Would it be better to have it charge through the anti-spark instead of before it on the battery side?

Also, do you guys know of any better anti-sparks rated for about the sam 120A?

Thanks,
Josh

I do not use one ,myself, but most people that have had one have told me that they eventually stopped working and stayed in the on position. I just use the anti-spark loop key. Where did you get your switch from?

Bruno is typically really great about warranty support.

This is the long PCB one w/ 2 or 3 FETs?

As i understand it - the FETs take a beating at power on - so when they fail they fail "open" - passing current all the time and no longer work as power switch.

Depending on the Mosfets used (FETs) - they are usually $3-5 ea to replace. Don't just replace one if you do this - swap them all. Some hot air re-work and 10-15min if you go slow - but still i'd see if Bruno will replace under warranty first.

If it keeps failing - take a look at Vedder / Fechter v1.3 anti-spark switch. Esk8.de, Ollin board co, and Miami electric have them. You can find kits as well to assemble yourself if you have reflow ability/skill and save a few $.

HTH - GL!

same thing happened to my APS switch 2 weeks ago - stuck on ON position after a few weeks of normal use. was particularly bad for me, since my battery isnt protected by a low voltage power cutoff BMS, so it got discharged to 2.0V/cell cause I didnt use the board for a while. :(

whitepony said:
same thing happened to my APS switch 2 weeks ago - stuck on ON position after a few weeks of normal use. was particularly bad for me, since my battery isnt protected by a low voltage power cutoff BMS, so it got discharged to 2.0V/cell cause I didnt use the board for a while.

Dang that sucks. Yeah I am in the same boat so that's why this is so concerning. I'm thinking about designing my own around the vedder/fetcher mosefet design with high current ratings and protection features. For now I am just using a vedder anti-spark from Ollin Board Co. I'll have to see how it holds up.

Back