Longboard project done

Alistair138

100 µW
Almost a year over and its done) thank you all for your help, pictures in the last message

KxE8qPU.jpg

zRRtfii.jpg

Hello guys!
So I am currently ordering parts for electric longboard and i need some kind of advice. I have read through this forum and some others but cannot find definite answers to my problem. Right now i have this longboard:

9"x38" deck, top mount
Road Rider hollow 180mm trucks
Independent abec 5 bearings
Kryptonics blue 82a 75mm wheels
and i weight about 85kg (187lbs)

I want to build a longboard for moving around my town, no steep hills, about 15-20 km of range will be super cool.
I am really tight on budget but i don't want to go cheapshit stuff, so i have came up with this list:

Motor:
Turnigy aerodrive sk3 6374 192kV
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18129__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_6374_192kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

ESC
VESC from Maytech
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Maytech-2kw-brushless-motor-controller-VESC-50A-controller-for-backfire-electric-skateboard/32734383154.html?spm=2114.03010208.3.26.4dBEvq&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_3_10039_10057_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_10058_418_10075_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_4&btsid=ba432b69-5b34-42ac-b0e6-cf4abc47dffd

GT2B remote with intention to 3d print smaller casing for it
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31671__HobbyKing_174_8482_HK_GT2B_3CH_2_4GHz_Transmitter_and_Receiver_w_Rechargable_Li_ion_Battery.html

Battery still under consideration because it seems to me sooo complicated - all this 4s2p, 8s, dual 6s, and capacity - i just can't handle it right now, i have chosen 5000 mah 8S Zippy battery for now with intention to maybe order another one to run in parralel. Or do i need to order two 4s 5000mah batteries to runin parallel, because 8S 5000mah seem really big and i don't know will it fit under my longboard:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21385__ZIPPY_Compact_5800mAh_8S_25C_Lipo_Pack.html

Charger:
I own a hyperion 0606i ac/dc charger, from what i understand i will be able to charge 8s battery with it, but painstakingly slow :(
https://www.amazon.com/EOS-0606i-max-Charger-Balancer/dp/B0036BG9JG

Pulleys - also under consideration, from what i've heard best pulley ratio is 15 x 36 on 5mm pitch, so right now i am choosing this ratio. Will GT2 aluminium pulleys for reprap 3d printer be durable enough to withstand torque from 6374 SK3 motor?

Thank you all in advance, any king of opinions or advices much appreciated!

PS: Is there a reason to go smaller but dual motor setup in my situation?

So what exactly is your question here? Looks like you need to read up on batteries a bit, but basically the numbers/letters are describing the configuration of cells. An 8s pack has 8 cells, wired in series. A 4s2p pack also has 8 cells - divided into 2 groups of 4. Each set of 4 cells is wired in series, then these groups are wired parallel to ea other. Wiring in series adds voltage, while wiring in parallel adds amp hours (mah = miliamp hours). More voltage = more speed & climbing power, while more amp hours gives longer range.

Not sure if this will help but in regards to the batteries I found this guide very useful for working out all the terms related to Lipos
http://www.instructables.com/id/Lithium-Polymer-Etiquette/

MagiicHat said:
So what exactly is your question here? Looks like you need to read up on batteries a bit, but basically the numbers/letters are describing the configuration of cells. An 8s pack has 8 cells, wired in series. A 4s2p pack also has 8 cells - divided into 2 groups of 4. Each set of 4 cells is wired in series, then these groups are wired parallel to ea other. Wiring in series adds voltage, while wiring in parallel adds amp hours (mah = miliamp hours). More voltage = more speed & climbing power, while more amp hours gives longer range.
Basically my question is will this longboard project work? Are 8S 5000 mah battery enough to give me 15-20 km of range? Is there need to go dual but smaller motors for my needs?

a couple things.

Trucks - cool hollow trucks, but you won't find a mount that works with them. Plus the shape is going to make it really difficult to fab your own mount if that's what you want to do. I would instead stick with the "tried and true" Caliber II 50's, or Paris trucks. The paris trucks are round, so can be a PITA to keep the mount from rotating. Why i stick w/ Caliber II's.

best way to figure out range (ballpark estimate) is to determine Watt Hours (Wh). Take your pack voltage (8s = 29.6) * Amp Hours (Ah) = Wh. So your batteries mentioned - 8s/29.6v * 5Ah = 148Wh.

Now you can expect approximately 10Wh = 1km. So 148Wh = 14.8km. If you are going up hills, a heavy rider, or racing - you'll get less.

I would also recommend staying with higher output batteries that can supply a minimum of 100A continuous (your 5000mAh/5Ah 8s batteries would need 20c minimum for this) (20c * 5Ah = 100a)

Realizing this is marketing and they likely cannot supply a true constant 100a - why i set it as my *minimum* requirement. Lower amp capacity batteries will have performance issues, or you will damage them, or both.

I personally like running 8s w/ VESC - very reliable and not "bleeding edge" (like 12s and FOC). if you get a pair of 4s in series - some of the slimmer batteries are really low profile and stealthy. I usually shoot for 25-30mm thickness (C measurement on HK) or less.

Single vs Dual would depend on your weight, and how steep of hills you want. I almost always recommend starting with a single motor and adding later if you need it. Ease into it.

HTH - GL!

sl33py said:
a couple things.
Thank you very much! Helped a lot!
Sad to hear that road rider trucks aren't best choice to go electric, unfortunately i can't afford switching to calibers right now, so i'll go with what i've got :-(
If i go with two 4s in series do i need to charge each battery separately? Or can i charge it like 8s most of the time and balance each one LiPo like once a month?

Hi
I quite agree with sl33py about the 8S and single motor.
I run a 6374 motor and 8S build ( 2 x 4S 8000mah 30C hobbyking Lipo) and find it optimal. I am close to 200lbs and the thing goes up all the hills in my area without a problem at all.
The range may be a bit optimistic but that of course depends on many factors. I have 8S 8000mah and get min. 10 miles (16km) (I don't run my batteries dry though)
I personally charge separate with a single charger and a parallel board. Don't see any reason not to do it like you describe but then you must make certain you never drain your batteries completely as that is when they become unbalanced.

Post for creating a mount point on non-standard trucks: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82269

Alistair138 said:
unfortunately i can't afford switching to calibers right now, so i'll go with what i've got :-(
If i go with two 4s in series do i need to charge each battery separately? Or can i charge it like 8s most of the time and balance each one LiPo like once a month?

MagiicHat said:
Post for creating a mount point on non-standard trucks: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82269

You are getting really good info and recommendations.

Again on the trucks - even with the link MagiicHat gave you - you are going to struggle to to fit those 30mm aluminum tube over the road rider trucks you have. That angle/taper on the hanger likely will not clear the ID 28mm of the tube... so you would need to fully build a custom motor mount is my concern. Time and money - it would likely still be cheaper to get some Caliber trucks. I might even look for some used C II's in the for sale section. Not too $$.

You can charge them individually, or in parallel w/ a parallel charging board.

It's possible to charge as 8s, but you'd want a balance plug adapter to take two 4s into one 8s plug. That's not super hard, but especially being $ conscious - most Lipo chargers max out at 6s, and ones that charge 8s and higher are really $$$. The entry level charger i recommend is the iMax B6ACv2 as it includes a small AC->DC power supply in the charger - vs. a AC->DC power supply separate from a DC only charger (like iCharger or similar). The downside is it charges slowly with 5 or 6amps max charge rate. Slower is better for your batteries and longer battery life, but it does mean you need to plan better and can't do a quick 8-10A charge on some batteries to ride after work before it gets dark...

HTH - best of luck!

sl33py said:
Alistair138 said:
unfortunately i can't afford switching to calibers right now, so i'll go with what i've got :-(

MagiicHat said:

You are getting really good info and recommendations.

Again on the trucks - even with the link MagiicHat gave you - you are going to struggle to to fit those 30mm aluminum tube over the road rider trucks you have. That angle/taper on the hanger likely will not clear the ID 28mm of the tube... so you would need to fully build a custom motor mount is my concern. Time and money - it would likely still be cheaper to get some Caliber trucks. I might even look for some used C II's in the for sale section. Not too $$.

Thank you all guys for your help and recommendations cleared alot to me! Thank you very much!

You were right about charging 8s, my hyperion 0606i charges only up to 6s, so i am sticking with 4s charging with parallel board.

About trucks - sad to hear that they are almost no good to mount electric motor to them, but i've bought what was accessible in my area.
I am more than happy to buy Caliber II 50's from used section of endless-sphere but unfortunately i live in Russia, so that's might be a problem :)

If i grind off part of this angle/taper to achieve straight and flat surface and weld motor mount there - will this be a viable option? I am remembering that i saw something like this here on endless-sphere, might be wrong though, can't find thread with this build.

You can grind or file off some of material on taper to achieve more or less straight surface for motor mount. That's what I did to my mount.

Njakts said:
You can grind or file off some of material on taper to achieve more or less straight surface for motor mount. That's what I did to my mount.

That sounds very promising! Can I ask you kindly to make photo of your mount welded to truck?

you wont see much, because its all welded and painted and looks like normal truck with welded mount.
I made a topic time ago asking the same thing:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=80738&p=1189598&hilit=grinding#p1189598

Received most of the components, including Maytech VESC - chineese copy of Vedders ESC - and it looks promising! Looks like genuine components, not so good soldering but good enough for it to work, Rubycon capacitors on a PCB, nice silicon insulated 12awg wires and so on. Works so far so good with mine turnigy aerodrive sk3 6374 192kv. If someone is interested with it i can post a brief review with pictures, but i don't know where to post it.

So now it the best part - combining it all together into a eskate :-D thanks that is winter now in my region and i have time roughly to May patiently assemble it)

I did it, guys! Just really wanted to share with you guys, that I've made it with your help and help of this forum in general!

KxE8qPU.jpg

zRRtfii.jpg

It is in temporary enclosure, of course (hoping that it would not be permanent :D )
Thank you all for your help!

PS: currently max speed is about 24-25 kmph - suprisingly accurate to the online calculator numbers. Right now i have 12-36 pulley set, aiming to replace 12 with 15 or 16 teeth pulley to get 30-36 kmph for now!

Back