Nyko Kama + Rain = BOOM!..?

Montiey

10 W
I took my board out for a spin. It was just about to rain; the roads were slick and the air was really misty. Besides loosing traction uphill (damn you, single drive!), and somehow not killing myself I noticed something odd a little while into my ride. When I let off the thumbstick, sometimes the VESC would brake a little. I got back home and looked at BLDC tool.
The results were interesting… Maybe the potentiometers don't like water?
https://youtu.be/P710qNGpY-k

Yep. I reheated ALL the joints just for the fun of it, but the vertical potentiometer is behaving oddly… For some reason, it works fine in BLDC, but the resistance is NOT linear; it goes down and comes back up at some points where the wiper is touching one of the poles. I would find a replacement joystick module, but the Kama isn't very reliable anyway. I'm looking around for better options.

Update:

I sacrificed a helpless afterglow nunchuck for its precious potentiometers…

The clear one is the replacement.
IMG_6500.jpg

I swapped the carbon and the wiper from the donor stick, the orange one here is the faulty assembly.
IMG_6501.jpg

I am not an organized human.
IMG_6502.jpg

I haven't tested it yet, but if nothing acts up before around the 10 minute mark than it will be better than it was… Still looking for a replacement, though.
:)

Back