Idea about improving steering

mavikota

100 µW
The main idea is to have a loingboard with dual motor setup on back wheels and a degree tilt sensor somewhere on the board. And by tilting a board on one side it would lower the throttle on that side to allow better steering.
Has anyone tried it yet?

Halftracks in WWII, and also modern backhoes have that feature. There are two brake pedals side by side for the rear wheels. You can step in the middle to activate both, or step on one side or the other...this is because sometimes the front wheels are in slippery mud, and turning the front wheels doesn't always turn the backhoe.

If you figure this out, you will be the first to put that feature on a power board.

I don't think there's a good 'off the shelf' solution here. With planes and helis and what not, you can do channel mixing, but e boards are really only single channel, and then trying to add a sensor input.

Anyone have a build using an Arduino as brains? Would be easy enough to add sensors to something like that.

I've also though it would be interesting to add a function to blip the throttle/brakes to help initiate a slide.

I've tried this. I used Dimension Engineering's Sabertooth and accelerometers. It does not work like a Segway with 2 wheels or tanks with 2 tracks because the skateboard has 4 wheels. It actually lessened the speed on the turn and increased the turning radius. With full power on both left and right wheels, I was able to power through the turn and can turn tighter. I only used in on 2wd, maybe it would be different if I used it on all wheels.

Should not be that hard using arduino.
For degree/tilt sensor I would use simple potentiometer with some lever and arm that simply measures distance between truck and board. Based on data from potentiometer, arduino would alter throttle from one esc to other.
If you know how to program arduino, this could be implemented in wiiceiver software.

LEVer said:
I've tried this. I used Dimension Engineering's Sabertooth and accelerometers. It does not work like a Segway with 2 wheels or tanks with 2 tracks because the skateboard has 4 wheels. It actually lessened the speed on the turn and increased the turning radius. With full power on both left and right wheels, I was able to power through the turn and can turn tighter. I only used in on 2wd, maybe it would be different if I used it on all wheels.

So you basically achieved that wheels work like differential steering works in cars?
It's a bit harder to programm it only with arduino, because when turning one wheel should be on throttle , and other on slight brake.

It's a bit harder to programm it only with arduino, because when turning one wheel should be on throttle , and other on slight brake.

Seems to me it should be 'throttle' and 'slightly less throttle'.

But that said, I'm not so sure how useful any of this will be. When turning, nearly all the force is applied to the inside wheels. If you punched the outside one enough to make a difference, it'd probably just spin.

Seems to me it should be 'throttle' and 'slightly less throttle'.

But that said, I'm not so sure how useful any of this will be. When turning, nearly all the force is applied to the inside wheels. If you punched the outside one enough to make a difference, it'd probably just spin.

The problem would require more complex algorithms than just 'throttle' and 'slightly less throttle'.

Although you are definetly right about the spinning. Ddin't think about it before.

Back