Advanced Vesc remote control

WTech

100 µW
Hello all!
For the past month I have been developing an advanced remote control for the Vesc that supports telemetry.
RollingGecko started an open source project similar to mine, and he did a fantastic job, however the project doesn't seem to advance that much so I decided to start my own from ground zero.

LPFHEji.png

For this project I designed the remote enclosure to be both comfortable and compact.
The current revision has:
  • -0.95 inch RGB OLED display
    -Adafruit feather ARM Cortex M0 board, built in battery charger
    -2000mAh battery
    -NRF24L01
    -Analog joystick

Features:
  • -Colored OLED display
    -Shows both remote and board battery level
    -Display current speed
    -Display current signal strength
    -Configurable riding mode: slow, medium and fast
    -Can turn on/off your longboard/skateboard Light effects
    -Cruise control
    -Reverse direction
    -Distance traveled
    -and much more to come

Initial design screenshots:

sfMKe4m.png

9MCRl2g.png

oJnOR4b.png

If you are interested in this project please let me know so that I continue to work on it :D

Very nice design work. I am still working on the BLE firmware updating on the other thread but there is a lot to it. Are you planning on keeping this RF based or are you going to switch to bluetooth? Also, I would highly recommend a hall effect based throttle control as those small pots can send false signals when they start to wear and may pose a safety threat. I can help on this thread but most of the questions you would ask have been answered on gecko's thread lol.

Dude said:
Very interested!
okp said:
that's what I'm talking about ! good stuff man !
Thank you guys, I will post an update once I get some of the parts I ordered, should be here tomorrow :D

s28400 said:
Very nice design work. I am still working on the BLE firmware updating on the other thread but there is a lot to it. Are you planning on keeping this RF based or are you going to switch to bluetooth? Also, I would highly recommend a hall effect based throttle control as those small pots can send false signals when they start to wear and may pose a safety threat. I can help on this thread but most of the questions you would ask have been answered on gecko's thread lol.
Thank you :) I saw your work and you did a good job on your design too. You are right about the hall effect idea. I may create a joystick based on the hall effect sensor instead of the potentiometer, that way I can keep the joystick design because I like it better than the sliding throttle type.

I like your Joystick design. For me it's more convenient than a slider, but that's my personal preference. Are you planning to open source your CAD files? If yes, I would like to give them a try on my 3D printer.

Dude said:
I like your Joystick design. For me it's more convenient than a slider, but that's my personal preference. Are you planning to open source your CAD files? If yes, I would like to give them a try on my 3D printer.

+1

Rather new to the community but most certainly interested! :D

hey man, thats exactly what we/i need.

are you actually really in the process of working on it or still "visionizing"

For my needs it would be amazing to have an optional linear signal on the trigger finger for servo breaking seperated from regen-breaks.
and maybe some 1-3 buttons/switches for some stuff to turn on/off like lights,horn,radio,or sit heater ;)

another great option would be either the nunchuk style you are planning here or the mad-munkey/bad-wolf style
http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/gt2b-mad-munkey-v1-enclosure-now-ready-for-download/2814

cause i feel more comfortable with the munkeystyle on e-MTB

thanks man

Notger

notger said:
another great option would be either the nunchuk style you are planning here or the mad-munkey/bad-wolf style

After I 3d printed the above design it didn't feel comfortable on the hand as I expected, so I decided to redo the design and go with something similar to the nunchuk. The new design feels much more comfortable and compact, I will be adding buttons to it today. Here is the current design:

M96oo9M.png

E26glda.png

WTech said:
Been working on the UI interface. What do you guys think?

Hmm... looks fine.
Do you start this project with an UI, or do you allready have the other functions done ?

But i understand, i also often want to see an outcome first ;)

Keep us updated !!

notger said:
WTech said:
Been working on the UI interface. What do you guys think?

Hmm... looks fine.
Do you start this project with an UI, or do you allready have the other functions done ?

But i understand, i also often want to see an outcome first ;)

Keep us updated !!

Projects like this should always start from looking at the user interface. We know the outputs easily... the throttle signal sent digitally.
What this really is, is a better UI. How does it feel in your hand? how does the throttle movement feel? does it cramp after holding its still at part throttle? what does the screen show? where do you put the screen. what should be on it?
Then when you know what the screen will show, you can work out the data back and forth from the board.

Speaking of the screen, maybe I am seeing it wrong, but doesnt your palm cover the screen?
couldnt it work better if you put the screen in like this.. but angled a bit up towards the wearer? Then you can glance at it while riding... I know where I drew it its facing away, but angle it upward a bit and it should work well.
screen.png

I don't want to pressure you into building toys for all of us, but when can I get my hands on one? I'm very excited for this project. Have there been any recent developments?

Hey guys, sorry Its been a while, but I'm back. I was busy with some other projects.
I decided to redesign the remote into a smaller form factor, and more ergonomic feel.
I'm currently 3D printing the enclosure, meanwhile enjoy a time lapse of the design process :D
[youtube]3_xmDf8xNUw[/youtube]

I like this !,
riding with nunchuk for over 4 years, not reliable.
just oreder the 2.4 ghz chinse remote from DX, will try it out,
im intrested to buy / DIY your design ....
waiting for your updates, good luck

Back