Battery and ESC problem HELP!!!

joeA

10 mW
So im following an instructable on how to build an electric skateboard and i just figured i would buy everything the guy bought... follow his steps on how to set it up and thats it...

heres the list of components....

2x 5000mAh 20c 3 cell (11.1v) Lithium Battery ($47)
EZRUN/HobbyWing 150A-PRO Brushless ESC ($80)
HK-GT2B Transmitter and Receiver($25)
Lithium Battery Charger (I use the IMAX B6) ($25)
4mm Banana Jacks (6 pairs) ($4)
10 gauge flexible wire (2 feet) ($7)
2 3s to 6s Balance Adapter ($1)
6s Balance Extension Cable ($1)

the guy posted this diagram for the electrical setup

FVOM9TXII7TKXD7.LARGE.jpg

but in the comments section people reported that when they finally plugged everything in to complete the circuit they got a fireworks show but they managed to unplug everything and nothing was fried to where it couldnt still be used... in fact when i started plugging things in it started sparking and smoking a little bit... so naturally.... i quickly unplugged everything and it seems like nothing is broken...

and in the comments the maker of the tutorial wrote

"The diagram is wrong. The balanace ports are flipped."

honestly wtf... he screwed up and refuses to post the correct diagram... ive got all the parts sitting on my work desk and id rather not give up and let 400 dollars go down the drain... and i just want to get the motor to spin... then i can handle mechanical setup stuff from there... and btw i am considering swapping the motor out for a hub motor with similar specs as the outrunner i have... because the enertion bracket is turning out to be a pain in the behind and not really fit on my trucks...

I have a basic understanding of volts amps watts and the different components etc... i thought i could handle setting it up... ... but when it came time to do it its a little bit sketchy and complicated especially with the mistake in the tutorial... and ive even asked my electrician friends friends of my parents that are very handy to help me... they utterly failed and theyre kinda too busy and i dont wanna bother them..... so i figured its time to take to the forums to talk to real people that can give me real responses...

Thanks

Well the balance ports should just be swapped, ie plug the bottom battery balance plug into the bottom adapter plug and the top into the top adapter plug. In other words, the battery with the main negative has to ben on the most negative balance lead and the battery with main positive has to have it's balance lead on the most positive balance plug.

You may have it right. When batteries are plugged into the connectors they sometimes spark and smoke a little. What we really need are some clear pictures of what your setup looks like. Make sure they are clear and in focus. Make sure they are no bigger then 640x480 if you want them to be seen easily. If they are bigger then 640x then we will only see a link.

Show us some pictures of what you have.

:D

Here are the photos of the electrical components... btw...there are 4 pictures but its showing only 2... it seems you have to click directly on the links to see all of them...

Attachments

• Photo on 10-10-16 at 5.01 PM.jpg
    Photo on 10-10-16 at 5.01 PM.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 391
  • Photo on 10-10-16 at 5.02 PM.jpg
    Photo on 10-10-16 at 5.02 PM.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 836
  • Photo on 10-10-16 at 5.05 PM.jpg
    Photo on 10-10-16 at 5.05 PM.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Photo on 10-10-16 at 5.03 PM.jpg
    Photo on 10-10-16 at 5.03 PM.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 836
  • Photo on 10-10-16 at 5.04 PM.jpg
    Photo on 10-10-16 at 5.04 PM.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 391
Jon NCal said:
Well the balance ports should just be swapped, ie plug the bottom battery balance plug into the bottom adapter plug and the top into the top adapter plug. In other words, the battery with the main negative has to ben on the most negative balance lead and the battery with main positive has to have it's balance lead on the most positive balance plug.

so what is the "balance ports" exactly... it is considered the wire terminals comming off the battery... terminals on the adapters... or even both? if both which ones is the comment revering to to switch.. etc etc etc... THANKS! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:

Jon NCal said:
Sorry, I meant balance plugs from the batteries should be swapped from how the diagram shows, when plugging into the adapter.

Thanks... i get it... so on the diagram.... the top battery whose red wire connected to the red wire on the ESC should have its balance terminal connected to the top balance adapter terminal... and the bottom batter with the black wire connected to the esc and whose red wire is connected to the top battery black wire... should have its balance cable connected to the bottom terminal on the balance adapter... this makes the black balance cable wire of the bottom battery correspond to the black wire on the balance adapter.. and the red balance cable wire of the top battery connects to the red wire on the balance adapter?

Im hoping to swap out this hub motor for the outrunner that is can be seen being held on by the enertion bracket... would this work?

http://diyelectricskateboard.com/diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torque-single-hub-motor/

Back