Commuted tesseract build

Lightweight / Folding / Portable EVs - seats optional
Post Reply
Jebe   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 19
Joined: May 16 2016 1:31am

Commuted tesseract build

Post by Jebe » Oct 15 2016 3:32am

Hello Endless sphere,
I built this a while back but wanted to post here to hear peoples opinions and get some feedback.
I'm a snowboarder who lives in the tropics ( never made good financial decisions) so when I saw evolves carbon gen 2 I had gto get on board ( sorry for this and all following dad jokes !)
This board had everything I thought I ever wanted until I ran out of battery whilst bombing downhill and needed the brakes. Like now.
A quick google search found white ponys 50km range carbon build and rthe rest is history, and bank overdrafts. :)

I had to camouflage this build as a build for my fiance so I let her select what deck I'd build on.
Lucky for me she found a loaded truncated tesseract on gumtree
Image
Image
At first I was going to use some sk3 5065 series motors but I found some motors george li was selling on ebay so, 2 for $130, I went for those.
standard motor mount holes and a 10mm shaft vs pain in the arse mounting and 6 mm shaft.
Image
I intended to build my own battery, a friend of mine is building a powerwall out of recycled laptop batteries but of course, they are good for fuses for e skates and f* all else!
Being in australia it is really hard to find cheap 18650 cells. I ended up with an enertion spacell cell pro 4, mount and ebay pulleys.
Image
the spacecell shipped looked wayyyyy bigger than the battery on the enertion website.
Hooked it all up anyway and took it for it's maiden spin!
Image
Instant wheel bite on the enclosure.
Image
I didn't use locktite...... only intended to go around the block !
Things rattled loose so I limped back home
Image
I had some issues with the vesc straight out of the box - obviously setup for the enertion motors. Played around with the minimum erpm and current settings until I achieved a nice smooth take off. Was reallly happy with the results at this point!
Case had to go though so I used an evolve bamboo case. Bit cramped with the 10s4p enertion pack, the 10s3p would have been enough for this build. Tough getting everything into the case.
Image
I started off using caliber trucks.... could not turn the damn thing ! Ended up changing the front truck out for a sidewinder
Image
Image
Image
Still struggled with wheel bite of the motor on the deck so I swapped out the rear for a gullwing as well with a knocked up motor mount on an evolve rear truck hanger.
Image
Turns on a dime now !
Image
Image
Image
White cover will be gone soon!
I think 30km range will be achievable!
Still some reliability issues with my pulley - shaft has a keyway but I've just used locktite 680 and grub screws.
All up I'm really happy with this, much shorter than my evolves, much more portable, and it was great fun piecing it together!
Image

Post Reply