Stary Electric Skateboard disassemble (part)

franklee006

10 mW
I have got my Stary board for about two weeks now, and I am super happy with my board. It is super well design and powerful, I have owned many electric skateboard and this is by far the best I ever have.

The only cons I think this board has is the battery size is way too small. I am a 90+kg person and with this board I can only manage to do 7-10km max. Therefore, in my mind I think to have a battery change in the future will for sure happen.

I decided to open and take a look on the battery, not the ESC as it would be just a pcb with some IC. Also, after I got my first board I ordered one more so I got two now.

Below is some photo I want to share with you guys.

The board is made from wood, but with a PCB cover. It is very well made

Some info about the baord.

Well of cause made in china

Only 99WH of battery, 6 Cells Li-poly, ~4.5 AH

I am still charging the board, and I have removed the cover

Here is the battery, most of the battery you will find would be using plastic to join all the cells together. But Stary they have made a PCB to house the battery, this is way more expensive.

All the cells together

Each cell is connected to the PCB directly, which make the board clean without so many balancing wire

a closer look

the board it self

Just to share, if you ever need restaurant Point of Sales can also visit my company https://www.smartordersystem.com

Whats the speed like?

I'm still riding my Benchwheel (over a year now), and have a hankering for something lighter or faster.

I've been re-looking at the Stary, now its come down in price - 3399rmb locally, vs the MeiBacc dual hub carbon @ 3599rmb.
The MeiBacc GT-M6 claims 33km top speed. It has far more battery, but the remote looks fairly basic.

Happy with the Stary?

Bit the bullet, and bought a Stary yesterday evening on Taobao.
Delivery guy had already brought it by the time I got to work this morning, so pretty fast. < 24 hrs from order, to in my hands!

They're not too far from me though -
Tracking shows Collected / Shipped from Kunshan at 7pm, arrived in Central Shanghai @ 4am, and to the local delivery office at 7am, then to my office from there sometime 9am ish.
Beat that Amazon :)

Initial thoughts on the Stary in comparison to my Benchwheel
Took it for a quick spin down the road and back.

Downsides:
- The power cable is a pain in the ass to plugin, too fiddly.
Cannot believe no-one has called them out in it. Given you have to charge every day, its going to be painful every time. Wild guess is because there is no BMS inside the Stary, and its just pins -> batteries, ground + possibly temp sensors, will need to buzz out later with a meter and guesstimate..
- LiPo... Fire! Danger Will Robinson, danger. Sure, its half the weight of LiFePO4, but then again LiFePO4 doesn't spontaneously combust if you look at it sideways.
- No reverse! The only way is forward.
- Braking is nowhere near good as the Benchwheel. Benchwheel is quite good at stopping. The Stary really doesn't want to stop, even at low speeds unless you pull all the way back then its immediate skid and jerk forward. Braking seems to be 100% or nothing. Similar on all speed settings. Disappointing in comparison, feels far more dangerous. Already had it skidding on braking.
- Remote is really uncomfortable in comparison to the Benchwheel one. Far stiffer, and non ergonomic. Its not made for left handers either.
- 2 Chargers, not one. (LiPo + Li charger)
- No included charger for the remote. Sure, its standard USB, but they're cheap as peanuts, so should be included, especially on a product that costs in the thousands.
- A very short ride (+-1km) took 8% out of the charge, so will be tight getting to work and back.
- LOUD. Heck, even the Benchwheel is quieter, and thats a little whiney at times.

Upsides:
- Lighter
- Looks a lot more waterproof
- Remote has a lot of info available on the screen (assuming you're right handed, if you're left handed like me, you get to see nothing.)

shanghailoz said:
Whats the speed like?

I'm still riding my Benchwheel (over a year now), and have a hankering for something lighter or faster.

I've been re-looking at the Stary, now its come down in price - 3399rmb locally, vs the MeiBacc dual hub carbon @ 3599rmb.
The MeiBacc GT-M6 claims 33km top speed. It has far more battery, but the remote looks fairly basic.

Happy with the Stary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_GlHvH4vOY
I made a short review, like the video please LOL

I am super happy with it. I got 3 Stary board now :lol: :lol: :lol: Just because it is very awesome

Speed is fast, I hardly put to the limit as too fast for me. Benchwheel I got it before, but too shit I just remove and keep the battery and throw the board away

shanghailoz said:
Bit the bullet, and bought a Stary yesterday evening on Taobao.
Delivery guy had already brought it by the time I got to work this morning, so pretty fast. < 24 hrs from order, to in my hands!

They're not too far from me though -
Tracking shows Collected / Shipped from Kunshan at 7pm, arrived in Central Shanghai @ 4am, and to the local delivery office at 7am, then to my office from there sometime 9am ish.
Beat that Amazon :)

Initial thoughts on the Stary in comparison to my Benchwheel
Haven't used it in action yet, only some quick testing inside the corridor in the office.

Downsides:
- The power cable is a pain in the ass to plugin, too fiddly.
Cannot believe no-one has called them out in it. Given you have to charge every day, its going to be painful every time. Wild guess is because there is no BMS inside the Stary, and its just pins -> batteries, ground + possibly temp sensors, will need to buzz out later with a meter and guesstimate..
- LiPo... Fire! Danger Will Robinson, danger. Sure, its half the weight of LiFePO4, but then again LiFePO4 doesn't spontaneously combust if you look at it sideways.
- No reverse! The only way is forward.
- Braking isn't as good as the Benchwheel. Benchwheel is quite good at stopping. The Stary really doesn't want to stop, even at low speeds. Will need to get used to that..
- Remote is really uncomfortable in comparison to the Benchwheel one. Far stiffer, and non ergonomic.
- 2 Chargers, not one. (LiPo + Li charger)
- No included charger for the remote. Sure, its standard USB, but they're cheap as peanuts, so should be included, especially on a product that costs in the thousands.

Upsides:
- Lighter
- Looks a lot more waterproof
- Remote has a lot of info available on the screen
You need to calibrate your remote with the board to get better feel

franklee006 said:

First thing I did was calibrate the controller.
No difference. Its definitely faster than the Benchwheel, but the Benchwheel has a much nicer ride and controller.

The benchwheel is a nice carving board, the Stary feels a bit flat in comparison.
I need to wear it in a little though.

Braking is still shockingly bad though. Benchwheel got that right off the bat.
Acceleration on the Benchwheel is also a lot faster (and quieter, although its noisy enough). Stary is missing that oomph. Top speed is higher, but takes longer to get there.

Got the Stary up to 25km on mode 3 so far, will get a bit more comfortable before i ride further in mode 4.
25km/hr is about as fast as I feel safe riding anyway so far on it.

If the Stary was my first board I'd be happy. Its not bad, but it could be better, especially as they took their time releasing it off Kickstarter.

@kimboviper - I just paid 3399RMB on Taobao for mine. Thats about $500USD

shanghailoz said:
franklee006 said:

First thing I did was calibrate the controller.
No difference. Its definitely faster than the Benchwheel, but the Benchwheel has a much nicer ride and controller.

The benchwheel is a nice carving board, the Stary feels a bit flat in comparison.
I need to wear it in a little though.

Braking is still shockingly bad though. Benchwheel got that right off the bat.
Acceleration on the Benchwheel is also a lot faster (and quieter, although its noisy enough). Stary is missing that oomph. Top speed is higher, but takes longer to get there.

Got the Stary up to 25km on mode 3 so far, will get a bit more comfortable before i ride further in mode 4.
25km/hr is about as fast as I feel safe riding anyway so far on it.

If the Stary was my first board I'd be happy. Its not bad, but it could be better, especially as they took their time releasing it off Kickstarter.

@kimboviper - I just paid 3399RMB on Taobao for mine. Thats about $500USD
is it really that good Benchwheel, I got one when they first launch. But it was really shit, everything.

Not sure if it improved that much right now

Back