Electric Stand-up scooter riding technique

kmxtornado

10 kW
Feel free to share and comment. I'll start off. All of this is in reference to my Eco Reco S3, although much of this will apply with other e-scooters as well.

STANCE:
I'm regular footed (as opposed to goofy footed) and prefer that my front left foot is somewhat parallel to the deck but offset a bit to the left. My right foot is in the rear and is almost perpendicular to the deck. The front foot in its orientation allows me to keep keep myself facing forward (as opposed to a skateboarding stance). The rear foot in its orientation allows me to put weight on my toe or heel to balance and carve the streets.

HAND POSITION:
I used to have two fingers on the brake and two on the throttle with remaining fingers gripping the handlebars. No more. I'm too worried about my hands falling off the handlebars from a sudden jolt of uneven road. All fingers wrap around each handlebar and two fingers toggle between preparing for engaging the brake or using the throttle. Never both at the same time like I normally would on a motor scooter. Standing on the scooter one handed or no handed is extremely difficult for me even when consciously trying to do it. When expected to do it suddenly after my hands falling off, I can't help but to think I'd take a violent spill. I'm okay losing the fractions of a second it would take grab the brakes in an emergency when I'm otherwise using the throttle only.

WEIGHT:
I toggle back and forth between putting weight on the front foot and rear foot. When going down hill though, I'm definitely more weighted on the rear foot. The brakes of the Eco Reco S3 aren't particularly strong being that it's a motor electronic brake as opposed to a rear mechanical brake, so it doesn't have super stopping power but is nonetheless very abrupt. Putting weight on the rear is very helpful going down hills to keep myself balanced. Weight is put in the front just out of being tired on longer rides.

STOPPING AND GOING:
I naturally take the front foot off for some reason. When I remember to, I'll take the rear foot off instead when I come to a stop. I do follow the rules of the road (unless I'm desperately running low on juice), so I stop at stop signs for the most part. When I don't, I'm at least slowing and pedaling with my foot on the ground. Only about 1 or 2 pushes gets me going even on most inclines.

Unlisted YouTube video I figured I'd share with the small community here. My way of saying thanks to all of you who have helped me on my various projects throughout the years: https://youtu.be/6Wm_8LgA1VU

When I stop its left foot down, When i start i push off with the left foot to get some speed and balance with my right foot at the front of the deck, if i blip the throttle i just take off once going i swap to ride a bit goofy for the twist bits and slow sections but when i gather some speed I switch to both feet as far forward as possible to keep it from wobbling more weight I can get forward and low as possible the more stable it feels for me but I'm always piping the front end up over bumps and chucking my weight backwards, forwards and getting low as I can.
As for hand grips I like to use a thumb throttle not twists and I got my breaks set up slanting forward so I have the two fingers always on but still plenty of grip on the bars, my scooters are an evolving thing at the moment proberly always will be, I'd like to build a fully custom scooter in time 70mph +

Back