Improving a scooters aero dynamics.

Ianhill

1 MW
Anyway u can think of improving aero without wearing a downhill aero helmet and Lycra.
I'm think handguards to clean the air up on the handle bars and a small fairing on the handle bar down tube to get down in behind at speed, and the front wheel needs a cover, the rear is already enclosed.
I think after 30mph clothes flapping about and the typical on the bog shape is worse than having a fairing to give you bit of a wind brake and the handguards same for the hands any tips ?

Hehe... So, a full-bodied shell like the Velomobiles too "over the top"?

Also, ES Bible "Search found 74 matches: +craig +vetter" ;)

Haha no canopies if its raining tough besides to much weight I'm thinking improving little touches, I'm going to get handguard because at flat out all time my hands get cold.
When I searched Craig vetter i just found a unicycle wheel that you sit inside looked very old and coggy.

"When I searched Craig vetter i just found a unicycle wheel..."

I meant his bike:
Team-016-cropped-300x199.jpeg

http://www.craigvetter.com/

:)

A tear drop type shape seems a good way to go for perfection. I'm thinking I'll get a black scooter front fairing and start chopping my lights will work perfect with this below.

`Kay... Vetter knows the tail end also important? Maybe can think like a fish... As speed goes up, aerodynamics a bigger and bigger "hit" to energy needs.

main-qimg-1b91934c02cb7ac9dc1ac8c97dffce5a-c

:wink:

Ian is this for your standup scooter or for a moped still down one?

I must admit i've been thinking along these line for my E-max.

whereswally606 said:
Ian is this for your standup scooter or for a moped still down one?

I must admit i've been thinking along these line for my E-max.

For the stand up still no emax yet and with Xmas coming fast i suppose its going to be 2017 for the next project

The only real way to do it is to crouch down, the majority of drag comes from frontal area so if you reduce that then you'll reduce drag.
You'd have to be a brave man though to do that and belt your scooter along!

Keith

Keith_hill said:
The only real way to do it is to crouch down, the majority of drag comes from frontal area so if you reduce that then you'll reduce drag.
You'd have to be a brave man though to do that and belt your scooter along! Keith

That's what I'm doing now my seat is not fitted and i get as low as I can, my plan was to put a small fearing on the handle bar area from a scrap scooter to clean the air, I'm quite flat shaped and the fearing would cut the air a little better and give me a small wind break if nothing else to get behind.

silviasol said:
I want to make something like this for my goped. With a heater for the winter.

Yah. Was thinking more velo-shaped but yah, ... a heated seat and backrest. Armrests... etc. 8)

LockH said:
silviasol said:

Yah. Was thinking more velo-shaped but yah, ... a heated seat and backrest. Armrests... etc. 8)

Maybe a bit weird looking but I would love the look of an egg shaped white encloser made of plastic or composite stuff or something :D It is just the fact that when I stop I have to have some way to get my feet out so it won't tip.

If you wanted to get your watthour per mile low as possible it would be a teardrop shape on a recumbent with a 120v + system low amps and motor run in the efficient zone while travelling at 10mph or so the range would be massive. I'm thinking of putting a seat on the deck cutting the bars down and getting low so I'm almost in the recumbent position I used to ride my razor like than few inch's of the ground bonus is when u come off u just roll out of it.

Ianhill said:
If you wanted to get your watthour per mile low as possible it would be a teardrop shape on a recumbent with a 120v + system low amps and motor run in the efficient zone while travelling at 10mph or so the range would be massive. I'm thinking of putting a seat on the deck cutting the bars down and getting low so I'm almost in the recumbent position I used to ride my razor like than few inch's of the ground bonus is when u come off u just roll out of it.

Yah. So, watt, like this, correct?

Hehe...

LockH said:
Ianhill said:

Yah. So, watt, like this, correct?

Hehe...

Very similar, something like that with a 10kw electric motor would really rocket maybe a really eco engine to add an hybrid element for crazy range, Nice and wind free Inside unlike the bikes and scooters damn u could mount a reversing monitor that doubles for a TV nice big blanket and use it for touring.

silviasol said:
LockH said:
silviasol said:

Maybe a bit weird looking but I would love the look of an egg shaped white encloser made of plastic or composite stuff or something :D It is just the fact that when I stop I have to have some way to get my feet out so it won't tip.

reminds me of this :lol: it's a 2-seater as well!
hqdefault.jpg

P.S. Before anyone writes off the guy on the reverse recumbent off as a kook... Thats Graeme Obree, who pedaled his way to the hour record on a track on his home built (including some washing machine parts!) bike.

hour 1.jpg

They outlawed his preying mantis position, so he developed the Superman... so for reals, doing the preying mantis with a small bubble fairing might be your best bet..

obree-track-1 2.jpg

Love the pics. Like the design baron posted most personally although it looks more practical than aero

Trying to get the most range for your watt hours have you tried getting the right tire air pressure, more supple tubes an slick tires. Aero cover for the wheels ( they have a much greater speed on the top as they rotate) ? Maybe add fairings just to the top of the wheels

Rolling resistance is generally trumped by wind resistance at 15mph so maybe just keep slower. And get your voltage and motor kv at its optimum roughly 80% of no-load speed when going. Maybe drop voltage. Add thicker wires.

Don't know your wheels size but guess it's small.

A mini sport bike (pocket bike) maybe would be pretty aero and need no extra additions. The electric grom looks awesome

Probably can't beat an electric street luge for aerodynamics and best watts to miles

Not knowing what specific scooter you're using I'm generalizing but imagine the biggest wind obstacle is your body. Maybe drop the bars down or do an aeobar like the superman or praying mantis position above.
so really I have no new or great advice but am interested in what you come up with. I second the preying mantis with a bubble as the simplest best choice. but would rather see you do the laying down superman position and go all out.

Back